News: Dallas Cowboys should trade back in 2018 draft, not up

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys should trade back in 2018 draft, not up
https://thelandryhat.com/2018/01/31/dallas-cowboys-trade-back-2018-draft/

...But as much as the Cowboys may want a player like Ridley, one draft expert believes Dallas would be better suited to simply stand pat and keep all of their second and third round draft picks.

“As much as I think Calvin Ridley would be a perfect fit as the Cowboys Z receiver, I’m not sure I would give up a day two pick to trade up,” responded Dane Brugler to a mailbag question via the Dallas Morning News. “One of the issues with this roster is the lack of depth and those day two picks should be future starters. And the depth of this year’s WR group is encouraging, there will be plenty of options in the 2nd or 3rd round.”

In fact, if the Cowboys really want to help their roster depth, it may be wiser to trade down from the 19th overall selection and gather more draft picks. That’s exactly what Dallas did back in 2013. In that draft, the Cowboys had the 18th overall selection. They traded that pick to the San Francisco 49ers. In exchange, Dallas got the 31st overall pick in the first round and the 74th pick in the third. With their new first round selection, the Cowboys drafted Wisconsin center Travis Frederick. And with their extra third round pick, they grabbed Baylor wide receiver Terrance Williams...

marius

Reaction score
It's the same thing that has been said for several years, but it has not happened since 2013, so we have to forget that theory, I think the cowboys do not need to select many players or have more selections, but select the appropriate players that impact the team.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Since we're inside the 20, I think we have a good shot at nabbing a top 15 caliber talent.

Unless our board is completely wiped out than I think we need to stay put.

This.

From what I've been watching, 15-25 is kind of the sweet spot in this draft. The nominal top 10 players right now don't blow me away at all, (Davenport? Calvin Ridley?), but there is some talent to be had after that.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys should trade back in 2018 draft, not up
https://thelandryhat.com/2018/01/31/dallas-cowboys-trade-back-2018-draft/

...But as much as the Cowboys may want a player like Ridley, one draft expert believes Dallas would be better suited to simply stand pat and keep all of their second and third round draft picks.

“As much as I think Calvin Ridley would be a perfect fit as the Cowboys Z receiver, I’m not sure I would give up a day two pick to trade up,” responded Dane Brugler to a mailbag question via the Dallas Morning News. “One of the issues with this roster is the lack of depth and those day two picks should be future starters. And the depth of this year’s WR group is encouraging, there will be plenty of options in the 2nd or 3rd round.”

In fact, if the Cowboys really want to help their roster depth, it may be wiser to trade down from the 19th overall selection and gather more draft picks. That’s exactly what Dallas did back in 2013. In that draft, the Cowboys had the 18th overall selection. They traded that pick to the San Francisco 49ers. In exchange, Dallas got the 31st overall pick in the first round and the 74th pick in the third. With their new first round selection, the Cowboys drafted Wisconsin center Travis Frederick. And with their extra third round pick, they grabbed Baylor wide receiver Terrance Williams...
That draft "expert" must not know how awful our second round picks are.

cnuball21

Reaction score
This.

From what I've been watching, 15-25 is kind of the sweet spot in this draft. The nominal top 10 players right now don't blow me away at all, (Davenport? Calvin Ridley?), but there is some talent to be had after that.

Last year Allen, Hooker and Howard went in the 15-20 range and they were 3 top 10 talents IMO.

I feel pretty good about having a shot at a special player, just hope it's at a position of need.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Would love to trade Back and draft Wynn or Hernandez at the end of round 1 while picking up a 2 or 3

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Obsession with the trade back is the draft dork's MO.

Trade back means you think you are smarter than everyone else. It also drives the desire to wait for a guy you've slotted at 10 to fall to you at 19.

Just get the guy you want. Don't think you are so damn smart that you are gonna get it right later

DcFootball4

Reaction score
Proper thinking in my mind, especially concerning the depth.
If Vea is not there at #19, then I would look to move back to grab an additional 2nd or 3rd.

Definitely agree! Vea would really help lock down our DL, we need to lock up Lawrence and finally work on our DL which in turn will help our young DBs out. I hope Gregory can finally get his head on st8 and quit the green bud during the season, I dont have any high hopes, but it would be nice if his talent could finally be seen on the field. The guy is 25 and has his whole future ahead of him. I am just excited if we could finally have a dominating DL by bringing in Vea.. I dont see it realistically happening though, we will probably go after some flashy dood or a TE.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I would love Vea or Roquan. That being said we need to build this offense around Dak if we think he is the future. Give him every chance to succeed, how can we do that? First we can give him a very good defense. Getting Vea or Roquan would help the defense tremendously. Second you can get OL help, nothing like protecting your QB to allow him to go through progressions and also allow the run game to get going. Third he needs receivers that can get open and catch the ball. Going after Landry in free agency would help right away.

John813

Reaction score
This year I'm not too opposed to it, but way too early to be doing a billion mocks on that

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Landry Hat and/or BTB write the same article every single year it seems.............. LOL. Trade back, stock pile picks!

My brother is the same way. Dolphins fan. Every. Single. Year. he's telling me they need to trade back for more picks.

The Cowboys' own draft board will tell them if they should trade up or not. If pick 15 is on the clock and one of their top 8 players is still on the board it would make sense to consider it. You're ignoring your own board if you don't.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I also think it's possible Ridley could be there at 19. I don't think it's likely but possible.

kskboys

Reaction score
It all depends on the year and what players are still available and who we are trading up for.

Look at the MO tradeup. If we take Fletcher Cox, it would've been a brilliant move.