News: Dallas Cowboys should trade back in 2018 draft, not up

Sydla

Reaction score
My brother is the same way. Dolphins fan. Every. Single. Year. he's telling me they need to trade back for more picks.

The Cowboys' own draft board will tell them if they should trade up or not. If pick 15 is on the clock and one of their top 8 players is still on the board it would make sense to consider it. You're ignoring your own board if you don't.

Exactly............ and yes, there are scenarios where trade back makes sense.

But some are obsessed with just stockpiling picks every draft year. I guess it comes from the same place where people justify signing no FAs because we need to stockpile those comp picks too.

rkell87

Reaction score
When we traded from 18 to 31 we only got a third. If that's the deal I think I'd rather just pick. If we get fair market value I think we could do a lot to help this team with three picks in the top 60.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
It all depends on the year and what players are still available and who we are trading up for.

Look at the MO tradeup. If we take Fletcher Cox, it would've been a brilliant move.

I legitimately think that if we drafted Cox or Kuechly instead of Mo, we would have won another Super Bowl by now. We came within seconds of advancing to 2 NFC Championship Games - you don't think adding another DPOY caliber defender would have put us over the top? The original plan of Brockers/Wagner would have been almost as good too.

ghst187

Reaction score
I find fault with the analysis in the article....arguing that because of how trading back the year we got Frederick worked out well for us then....that it should be our plan for next time which means the argument is predicated on a similar situation unfolding this year....even though the dynamics may be completely different. We have too many picks this year, if we use all of them, we will end up cutting some of the players we select before the season even starts which would be a waste.
We don't have THAT many holes on our roster, esp if we resign everyone and add one or two starters in FA. We would benefit more from quality over quantity and if someone really really good is there or within reach, pay the price and get them versus trading back. Frankly, with all the QBs in this draft, I find it hard to believe there won't be someone of high caliber falling to us be it Vea, Hurst, Edmunds, Nelson, Ridley, the LB from UGA, etc...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Myself, I would consider trading up about four slots for any of these players:

Vita Vea, DT, Washington
Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
Derwin James, S, Florida State
Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

fansince68

Reaction score
The mob of underachieving coaches can't "coach up" the players we have drafted in the past. We are expecting to receive up to 4 compensatory picks. We don't need more picks. We need play makers. Stick and stay at 19 and use some of theses extra picks to get to the top of rounds 2,3, and possibly the 4th.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Landry Hat and/or BTB write the same article every single year it seems.............. LOL. Trade back, stock pile picks!
They just want to be the polar opposite of the fans that want to move up to get there favorite player every. The idea isnt any better.

I will say this, with a stock pile of decent comp picks this year, they have the ammo to move on a player we covet. If a top 10 target is falling out of the top 14, they have the ability to make that move and still have a robust draft class

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Exactly............ and yes, there are scenarios where trade back makes sense.

But some are obsessed with just stockpiling picks every draft year. I guess it comes from the same place where people justify signing no FAs because we need to stockpile those comp picks too.
I dont like the argument people make for stock piling comp picks. Its not the real reason they sit out FA. They go bargin bin hunting even in years where they arent getting any comp picks. I think the belief some fans have that the reason we sit out FA is stock pile comps picks is a fallacy.

I actually think sitting out FA to get comp picks is smart team building. But it has to be part of a bigger plan. Its not something you should be doing every year. It will allow you to get additional cheap young talent in place of what will be expensive talent. Which in turn gives you more flexibility in FA. But you are not going to reap that benefit every year, and you have to plan ahead of time when its most prudent. If your plan is to do it every year, you will wind up with a very mediocre roster