Dallas Cowboys Thought 275K Bid For "Cowboys.com" Was $275.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
18|10|2007
Dallas Cowboys Fumble Cowboys.com Deal

by Adam Strong in Categories: Miscellaneous, Domain Sales, News

handoff.jpg

Rumors are circulating that the sale for the domain name Cowboys.com will not be moving forward. The domain name brought in a $275,000 bid from a phone-in bidder at the recent TRAFFIC domain live auction in Hollywood, Florida. The bidder had been earlier identified to be a representative from the Dallas Cowboys NFL team. An inside source confirmed with DomainNameNews that the deal began to fall apart over a misunderstanding with the bidder on what the bid of “275″ actually meant. It appears the bidder thought they were buying the domain for $275.00 rather than $275,000.

The domain was formerly used a site which sold western apparel and other items, as can be seen in the archive.org cache of the site. Although the Dallas Cowboys football team owns a trademark for the use of the word Cowboys, there are also several other companies and businesses operating under the “Cowboys” name. The domain is a generic word and it’s past usage shows that it can be used without infringement on any trademarks.

The Dallas Cowboys NFL football team currently uses the domain name DallasCowboys.com, but iswas likely losing a great deal of traffic to the shorter and more iconic Cowboys.com domain. The football team owners have also been working on building a new multi-million dollar stadium and the purchase was referred to by domainers as a very logical decision for the team. The shorter domain would be much easier to emblazon on uniforms, tickets, apparel, stadium graphics, tv ads, etc. The loss of this sale seems to be a major fumble by a potential “end-user” buyer to secure a “no brainer” asset for their business.

In this writers opinion, this buy seems to be a simple “hand-off” play that got botched big time. How much “yardage” will it cost the Dallas Cowboys in misdirected traffic when someone else buys it ?

LINK

Posted By: toddmintz 3 hours ago

Topic Type: News Story (Jump to http://domainnamenews.com) my network
Category: Domaining

Cowboys.com sold for $275K at the TRAFFIC conference, apparently to a bidder representing the Dallas Cowboys. They don't appear willing to go through with the deal, thinking they were only bidding $275 for the name.

Can they actually get away with this? How can anyone be so stupid as to participate in a high dollar auction environment without knowing the rules. If the representatives of the Cowboys are as stupid in their personnel moves as they are here, expect Joey Harrington to be your quarterback next year, not Tony Romo. Some Eagles or Commanders fan should snag this domain for their own purposes.

Cowboys make it easier on you

Now, instead of having to type dallascowboys.com, you'll be able to save yourself six strikes of the keyboard.

That's because according to icrossing.com, the Cowboys have purchased the Web domain cowboys.com. And it didn't come cheap. The club won an auction last week for the name, entering a high bid of $275,000.

In case you're interested, the current cowboys.com dubs itself "The Original Western Web Site." And judging by the looks of it, I'm sure there will be plenty of people sad to see it go.

Posted by Albert Breer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 10:46 AM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (5)

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Given my experience with the Dallas Cowboys organization and the internet, I can very easily see where their lack of knowledge and understanding of the internet would put them in this situation.

Who in their right mind would think that if tickets to their games sell for hundreds of dollars on StubHub that they could buy a one word premium domain like COWBOYS.COM for $275? Whoever did that needs to be reassigned to a non-internet position.

One of these days, maybe the Dallas Cowboys will bring in some real experienced people to handle their internet division.

-Reality

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Reality;1717006 said:
Given my experience with the Dallas Cowboys organization and the internet, I can very easily see where their lack of knowledge and understanding of the internet would put them in this situation.

Who in their right mind would think that if tickets to their games sell for hundreds of dollars on StubHub that they could buy a one word premium domain like COWBOYS.COM for $275? Whoever did that needs to be reassigned to a non-internet position.

One of these days, maybe the Dallas Cowboys will bring in some real experienced people to handle their internet division.

-Reality

I'm available ;)

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Reality;1717006 said:

-Reality

Did they offer you $275.00 for this site? :D

I'll give you $276.00. ;)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark;1717027 said:

I'll offer 277¢ ;) Err my mistake! :D

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboyfan4life_mark;1717027 said:

Hey Big spender.:laugh2:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;1717034 said:
I'll offer 27 ;) Err my mistake! :D
Have you heard the Verizon .002 cents = .002 dollars audio that was making the rounds a few months ago?

If not, click here.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Domain buying and reselling is a huge industry and I am sure the people who were at the TRAFFIC conference will long joke about the Cowboys and that domain.

That being said, given the popularity of the Dallas Cowboys and how much money they spend and generate in the NFL, if I were them I would pay the $275,000 for the domain. One word domains generate a lot more traffic and a lot of sports teams out there brand their one-word domains rather than their full name. Green Bay for example puts their primary site on PACKERS.COM and there are a lot more teams that do it as well.

-Reality

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;1717044 said:
Have you heard the Verizon .002 cents = .002 dollars audio that was making the rounds a few months ago?

If not, click here.

Yeah, I heard about it. I've listen to part of the audio, but that is almost 2 hours! (hour 40 I believe. Thats 40 minutes not 40 hours! ;) )

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
$275,000 doesn't sound like much for a team that's building a billion dollar stadium. I'm surprised the Cowboys didn't make an offer for cowboys.com sooner than this.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1716995 said:
Rumors are circulating that the sale for the domain name Cowboys.com will not be moving forward.

Oh, well, in that case, it must be true!

31smackdown

Reaction score
Reality;1717006 said:

-Reality

I'm also available.. :)

Granted $275,000 is decent chunk of change for a domain name, but it is probably not too far out of the realm of it's market value, if at all. And the added value in increased brand awareness and brand protection is probably worth it alone.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Reality;1717049 said:
Domain buying and reselling is a huge industry and I am sure the people who were at the TRAFFIC conference will long joke about the Cowboys and that domain.

That being said, given the popularity of the Dallas Cowboys and how much money they spend and generate in the NFL, if I were them I would pay the $275,000 for the domain. One word domains generate a lot more traffic and a lot of sports teams out there brand their one-word domains rather than their full name. Green Bay for example puts their primary site on PACKERS.COM and there are a lot more teams that do it as well.

-Reality

I wonder what "Packers.com" was before Green Bay bought it? :p:

NTTAWWT

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Personally, Cowboys.com at $275k is a bargin compared to other domains.

Sex.com $14 million
Business.com $7.5 million
AsSeenOnTv.com $5.1 million
Altavista.com $3.3 million
Wine.com $2.9 million
Autos.com $2.2 million
Express.com $1.8 million
Wallstreet.com $1m
Rock.com $1m
Websites.com $970,000
Drugs.com $830,000

31smackdown

Reaction score
Danny White;1717145 said:
I wonder what "Packers.com" was before Green Bay bought it? :p:

NTTAWWT

They bought it in 1996 and had a site up by Dec of 1997.

I don't think it was anything before that, as the internet and web domains/web pages were just picking up speed at that time.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Reality;1717049 said:

-Reality
I totally agree with this. It has a very real value.

Viper

Reaction score
theogt;1717044 said:

If not, click here.

Can't tell you how much I enjoyed that, reminds me of some of the costomer service calls I've been involved with... the fustration.