News: Dallas Cowboys: What does Kellen Moore bring to the table?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: What does Kellen Moore bring to the table?
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/01/22/dallas-cowboys-kellen-moore-bring-table/

...The more I thought about it and digging I did into the past offensive systems Moore played in I can see why he is their possible choice. We already know about his time with Scott Linehan during his time as a player in the NFL.

In college, Moore led one of the highest scoring offenses in college football during his time at Boise State (08′-11′). His coach at the time was Chris Petersen, who is now the head coach at Washington.

That is where I believe Kellen Moore will pull from the give the Dallas Cowboys more of an edge on offense. Petersen’s system was based on creating matchups and confusing defenses with a lot of pre-snap movement. Something that Linehan didn’t really incorporate into his play designs.

The pre-snap movement could be used to overload on side of the of the formation and make it look like the ball is going there but in Petersen’s system, that isn’t always where the ball would be going. Forcing defenses to adjust then attacking the gaps and lack of defenders on the opposite side of the formation...

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Until they confirm what Kellen's role I am not going to speculate on his input. At this point I have no reason to like or dislike anything because he literally has no role as far as we know.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Nobody will know anything until Game 1 next year. They aren’t going to show their hand in preseason. MAYBE the Blue White scrimmage for people that can get out to the practices.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
When I first heard about Moore possibly becoming OC, I thought it was ludicrous. But, after a little more research and opinions, my opinion has changed. Do I still think it's ludicrous? Yes. Would I rather have someone from outside of the organization, as said outside person may bring in more creative and imaginative ideas that differ from Dallas' vanilla plays? Yes. But am I willing to give Kellen Moore a chance? Yeah probably. He could be the next Sean McVay for all we know. He may not of been the best QB coach, but that doesn't mean he can't be a good OC or coach for another position. He seems educated in football and grew up around it. It's a risky move, but at least Linehan is out.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: What does Kellen Moore bring to the table?
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/01/22/dallas-cowboys-kellen-moore-bring-table/

...The more I thought about it and digging I did into the past offensive systems Moore played in I can see why he is their possible choice. We already know about his time with Scott Linehan during his time as a player in the NFL.

In college, Moore led one of the highest scoring offenses in college football during his time at Boise State (08′-11′). His coach at the time was Chris Petersen, who is now the head coach at Washington.

That is where I believe Kellen Moore will pull from the give the Dallas Cowboys more of an edge on offense. Petersen’s system was based on creating matchups and confusing defenses with a lot of pre-snap movement. Something that Linehan didn’t really incorporate into his play designs.

The pre-snap movement could be used to overload on side of the of the formation and make it look like the ball is going there but in Petersen’s system, that isn’t always where the ball would be going. Forcing defenses to adjust then attacking the gaps and lack of defenders on the opposite side of the formation...

Even if Moore pans out we more than likely lose him to a HC opportunity to a team that will wildly overpay for him.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Those looking for the Cowboys to bring in an outsider could get their wish, but it's unlikely thanks to the timing of their decision on Linehan. Had they fired him last January or even in Week 8 before they went on their five-game win streak, they would've had many more outside options to choose from. From Kliff Kingsbury to Matt LaFleur, from Gary Kubiak to Todd Monken, from John DeFilippo to Darrell Bevell, qualified and highly viable candidates flew off the board from November to mid-January -- leaving slim pickings for the Cowboys' front office. There's still a chance they can make a play on James Coley at the University of Georgia, but that would require them ignoring not one, but two in-house candidates they believe might have the chops to get the job done.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Article/Kellen-Moore-Doug-Nussmeier-and-the-Cowboys-OC-dilemma-128202005/?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=190123_133954_Dallas Cowboys&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=3D-D0-A4-CD-C7-94-A5-D6-AB-7B-37-C0-03-8D-3F-87190123_133954DallasCowboys

There's a good chance head coach Jason Garrett finally puts his fate in his own hands after risking it to his former mentor for half a decade, and that means likely calling the plays himself. The role of OC, whomever shall land it, would be responsible for assisting with building the gameplan and overseeing fine minutiae thereof as opposed to being accountable for deciding what goes on beyond the first 15 scripted plays of a game.

This is why the Cowboys are open to granting the role to tight ends coach Doug Nussmeier or QB coach Kellen Moore, because it wouldn't put the onus of in-game adaptation on them.

Last edited:

DandyTom64

Reaction score
I saw a youtube video earlier about Moore when he was on a show that John Gruden had on espn. The guy seems a heck of a lot smarter than I ever gave him credit. I think I'll pick on somebody different for a while. Here Beasley, Beasley, Beasley.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
with 8 NFL Coaching vacancies...how is that Moore didn't even get an interview? Now all of the sudden he is the hottest upcoming coach in the league, I'm not buying it