News: Dallas Cowboys: Why Kellen Moore won’t last long as offensive coordinator

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Why Kellen Moore won’t last long as offensive coordinator
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/07/03/dallas-cowboys-kellen-moore-wont-last/

Kellen Moore’s tenure as the offensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys won’t last very long. In other words, his clock is already ticking. Here’s why...

...Hiring a young offensive genius without head coaching experience to come in and lead a franchise is not a new phenomenon. From 2001 to 2009, there were names like Marty Mornhinweg, Josh McDaniels, and Eric Mangini hired as NFL head coaches. They were each extremely bright and possessed the offensive imagination as coordinators that led general managers from other teams to believe their success as head coaches was inevitable...

...Fast forward to 2019 and you see teams following a similar formula hiring names like Kliff Kingsbury, Zac Taylor, Freddie Kitchens, Matt LaFleur, Adam Gase, Bruce Arians, Matt Nagy, Frank Reich, Pat Shurmur, Jon Gruden, Kyle Shanahan, and Sean McVay to become head coaches.

These are all new head coaches with offensive backgrounds who are expected to take advantage of this new pass-happy league with rules that absolutely favor offenses. We are in the midst of an offensive genius renaissance. And a successful campaign by someone like Kellen Moore will put him squarely in the mix for a head coaching job soon...

CCBoy

Reaction score
It is beyond obvious that Moore has to produce, given his position...this just opens eyes to what that may entail, if he is pretty good at bringing the Cowboys offense back to the top.

This fan is interested in seeing dual routes and combinations developed at the same time...how about Austin and Elliott in the backfield at the same time? Red Zone developments?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Pure logic causes doubts as to what's in store for Kellen Moore. His lack of experience makes it so. Nevertheless, he's in the saddle as OC at this time. Everyone has their own individual expectations as to what his performance level might be. I'm willing to wait and see just what he has in store, before submitting a premature opinion as to what might transpire in terms of his OC performance. If he fails, both himself and Jason Garrett will be seriously at risk of termination. Being a Cowboys fan causes me to hope success will be achieved. If not, that's where Jerry seriously enters into the picture. Yes, he's intelligent, so is JG and we've all seen what the results have been. Some good, some bad. Whatever happens, happens. Hope for the best. ;)

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Sorry...nobody is going to hire him as a head coach after one season with teeth like that. Except maybe John Elway...

Kellen-Moore.jpg

john_elway_013.jpg

csirl

Reaction score
He got the job because an experienced coach would demand an expensive multi year contract. And as the bulk of the coaching staff are out of contract at the end of the season the OC had to be someone who could be disposed of easily if the coaching squad isnt retained.

I do hope he works out well and will root for him, but the circumstances arent in his favor.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will wait until I see how he does with this offense 1st.
We don't even know what it will be.
A version of Garrett's, a version of Linehan's which was a version of Garrett's.
Or will he get to do it all his way whatever that way is. Will he be able to grow with it as the season progresses.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
If we've learned anything over the last decade, it's that you don't have to deliver good results to get rewarded or promoted in Dallas. The clock is ticking on Moore? Right. Even if he falls on his face, Garrett will finally take the heat and Moore will get bumped to HC because he's a genius just like Garrett was proclaimed to be. Then again, maybe I'll eat crow and he really will be an offensive genius.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
this is like the first TD under Linehan

CBZ: we re losing Linehan to a HC job.

First interception under RIchard

CBZ: say goodbye to Richard. Hes getting a HC job.

Reality, when you are so pathetic, 1 good move requires that the rest of the NFL is looking at your dumpster fire, you might be a Cowboys fan.

this is clickbait knee jerk reaction that our media and fans love.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Why Kellen Moore won’t last long as offensive coordinator
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/07/03/dallas-cowboys-kellen-moore-wont-last/

Kellen Moore’s tenure as the offensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys won’t last very long. In other words, his clock is already ticking. Here’s why...

...Hiring a young offensive genius without head coaching experience to come in and lead a franchise is not a new phenomenon. From 2001 to 2009, there were names like Marty Mornhinweg, Josh McDaniels, and Eric Mangini hired as NFL head coaches. They were each extremely bright and possessed the offensive imagination as coordinators that led general managers from other teams to believe their success as head coaches was inevitable...

...Fast forward to 2019 and you see teams following a similar formula hiring names like Kliff Kingsbury, Zac Taylor, Freddie Kitchens, Matt LaFleur, Adam Gase, Bruce Arians, Matt Nagy, Frank Reich, Pat Shurmur, Jon Gruden, Kyle Shanahan, and Sean McVay to become head coaches.

These are all new head coaches with offensive backgrounds who are expected to take advantage of this new pass-happy league with rules that absolutely favor offenses. We are in the midst of an offensive genius renaissance. And a successful campaign by someone like Kellen Moore will put him squarely in the mix for a head coaching job soon...

Slow down baby!

All i have seen from Moore in his one year tenture as a QB coach is that he wasnt able to make Dak better regarding his flaws.

Lets first see what he is able to do as an OC before we start to panic that we could lose him or he will be the successor of Garrett.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting that the 3 mentioned failed as HC's but nothing like Linehan and Marinelli, they reset the bar. I think that's a hard job.

I think the chances of Moore becoming a HC are very good. I think the absence of very good HC's just about guarantees that with 6-9 of these guys fired every season. Any coach that lasts long enough, gets a shot.

As far as offensive genius, not so sure that he is that or anyone is in that post, including the newest and bestest to talk about that scored 3 points in the SB. I do not apply that word to football but if I did that would be reserved for coaches that created something new like Landry and Walsh.

I don't know what kind of HC Moore will make but then again I don't know what kind of OC he's going to make either.