News: Dallas Cowboys Will Face One Of Least Experienced Group Of Head Coaches This Year

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Will Face One Of Least Experienced Group Of Head Coaches This Year

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...chedule-nfl-head-coach-experience-wins-losses

In 2013, the NFC East featured some pretty experienced NFL head coaches. Mike Shanahan in Washington was in his 20th season as an NFL head coach, Tom Coughlin was in his 18th year, and Andy Reid in Philadelphia was in his 15th. Jason Garrett in Dallas (4th year as head coach) was a young pup by comparison.

After the 2013 season the four NFC East head coaches had 57 years of combined NFL head coaching experience, which is quite a lot considering that entering the 2016 season, the AFC West has the most experienced head coaching quartet with a combined NFL head coaching experience of "just" 39 years (Reid: 17, Del Rio: 10, Kubiak: 9, McCoy: 3).

But things have changed dramatically in the NFC East since 2013. Entering the 2016 season, Jason Garrett is the grizzled veteran of the East with six years NFL head coaching experience. Philly and New York have rookie head coaches and Jay Gruden in Washington has two years as an NFL head coach under his belt.

That means the Cowboys will play their six divisional games against a fairly inexperienced group of head coaches, and if we look at the entire 2016 schedule, the Cowboys' 16 opponents have just 69 years of combined NFL head coaching experience, the second lowest value in the NFL.

Week Opponent Head Coach
NFL HC Experience
W-L%
New York Giants Ben McAdoo - - - -
2 @ Washington Commanders Jay Gruden 2 .406
Chicago Bears John Fox 14 .558
4 @ San Francisco 49ers Chip Kelly 3 .553
Cincinnati Bengals Marvin Lewis 13 .543
6 @ Green Bay Packers Mike McCarthy 10 .653
7 Bye Week
Philadelphia Eagles Doug Petersen - - - -
9 @ Cleveland Browns Hue Jackson 1 .500
10 @ Pittsburgh Steelers Mike Tomlin 9 .639
Baltimore Ravens John Harbaugh 8 .602
Washington Commanders Jay Gruden 2 .406
13 @ Minnesota Vikings Mike Zimmer 2 .563
14 @ New York Giants Ben McAdoo - - - -
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Dirk Koetter - - - -
Detroit Lions Jim Caldwell 5 .550
17 @ Philadelphia Eagles Doug Peterson - - - -

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jason Garrett is still kind of a rookie.....so experience shouldn't be looked at

Not so fast...Jason has watched the rebuild of an offensive line and his defensive line go under reconstruction work.

Then there are issues such as time management and mid game adjustments that sneak up on a newly in place head coach...oh, Jason has some experience under fire.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Not so fast...Jason has watched the rebuild of an offensive line and his defensive line go under reconstruction work.

Then there are issues such as time management and mid game adjustments that sneak up on a newly in place head coach...oh, Jason has some experience under fire.
I'm a huge Dallas supporter and rarely ever say something negative but Garrett has issues with clock and game management.....hell he iced his own kicker for a game winning field goal. In my opinion is not even close the difference between Reid, Coughlan and Shanahan when Garrett was new compared to Garrett now and Mcadoo, Gruden and Peterson

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm a huge Dallas supporter and rarely ever say something negative but Garrett has issues with clock and game management.....hell he iced his own kicker for a game winning field goal. In my opinion is not even close the difference between Reid, Coughlan and Shanahan when Garrett was new compared to Garrett now and Mcadoo, Gruden and Peterson

Myself, I stay away from the Monday Morning Quarterback's excuse number one...a poor coaching decision. That has a bad and nasty history to it...as that formed what is now a burn barrel group.

I think when attempting an analysis, much less a projection, of coaching and leadership ability...experience trumps about all other reasons, except for the discontents around that burn barrel. I know you love the 'Boys...this is what strikes my eye, before proclaiming forged in fire status:

In addition to the Giants and Eagles, the Buccaneers also have a rookie head coach, so the Cowboys will play five of their 16 games against rookie NFL head coaches. Add Hue Jackson with one year along with Jay Gruden and Mike Zimmer with two years of NFL head coaching experience, and the Cowboys will play nine of their 16 games against NFL head coaches with two years or less of NFL head coaching experience.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...chedule-nfl-head-coach-experience-wins-losses

A principal in war, is to know your enemy...

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Myself, I stay away from the Monday Morning Quarterback's excuse number one...a poor coaching decision. That has a bad and nasty history to it...as that formed what is now a burn barrel group.

I think when attempting an analysis, much less a projection, of coaching and leadership ability...experience trumps about all other reasons, except for the discontents around that burn barrel. I know you love the 'Boys...this is what strikes my eye, before proclaiming forged in fire status:

In addition to the Giants and Eagles, the Buccaneers also have a rookie head coach, so the Cowboys will play five of their 16 games against rookie NFL head coaches. Add Hue Jackson with one year along with Jay Gruden and Mike Zimmer with two years of NFL head coaching experience, and the Cowboys will play nine of their 16 games against NFL head coaches with two years or less of NFL head coaching experience.

A principal in war, is to know your enemy...
Never said I didn't want Garrett as coach just don't feel the gap is that big. I think Garrett is one of the better coaches at getting players motivated and playing hard for him

CCBoy

Reaction score
Never said I didn't want Garrett as coach just don't feel the gap is that big. I think Garrett is one of the better coaches at getting players motivated and playing hard for him

Team effectiveness also improves the longer that an entire staff is together. Philadelphia went on a decade long run...due to it's Head Coach and an outstanding Defensive Coordinator. Not only does it involve the Head Coach, but his staff. Dallas upgraded in it's Secondary Coaches, that did go on a 12 win regular season and a bad call on Dez Bryant away from the NFC Championship Game...that is a real factor as well.

CCBoy

Reaction score
4630fa22ebc4f95d679fde53cf60648d.jpg