Video: Dallas DL is a Major Problem for Offenses

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
This is a fairly short video on some of what the Cowboys did up front on defense verses the Giants. They are a talented group that attacks constantly. They’re going to give offenses fits all year long.

Of course the guy talks about Parsons, who is the engine that drives the whole thing, but he also talks about Odighizuwa and how good he has gotten. There are a couple of good plays by Mazi and Hankins inside, and he even talks about how well Bell played LB. DeMarcus Lawrence had some really nice plays too.

It shows a little about what Quinn is doing and how he is deploying the guys up front. He really is pretty brilliant with some of what he is doing but make no mistake… there is talent and athleticism in abundance on that Dallas defense.

There was nothing fluky about what they did to the Giants. Get ready to see a whole lot more of this as the season goes along because they are only going to get better and better. If the offense can take care of the ball and have nice time of possession, then just buckle up and enjoy this defense because they are going to unleash all their might on the NFL and will dominate this season.

They are special.

Anyway it is a good video although I wish it was longer. Enjoy.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Jets oline is gonna struggle
I think so too. Hell, I think just about any offensive line will struggle with that Dallas defense. They are really, really good, and like I said above… there is nothing flukey about what they did. Dallas will be able to stress offensive lines the same way they did the Giants.

That’s not to say they’re going to hold everybody scoreless… but the stress they put on an offense when they have great coverage on the back end is always going to be a big problem for offenses.

Truly, this is the first defense that Dallas has had in a long, long time that actually deserves to be called Doomsday. If they keep it up for a few more games… I say call them Doomsday because there isn’t a better nickname for a Dallas defense that is this dominant.

“The Giants ran headlong into Doomsday”. That just sounds right.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Pulling Vander Esch to the line to fake a blitz, then getting the center to go to his left opened a hole for Micah. Esch ended up covering the middle as he usually does.

Quinn was playing chess with a guy who is playing checkers. This is an exciting beginning of the year.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Pulling Vander Esch to the line to fake a blitz, then getting the center to go to his left opened a hole for Micah. Esch ended up covering the middle as he usually does.

Quinn was playing chess with a guy who is playing checkers. This is an exciting beginning of the year.
Yeah, there is just so much Quinn can do with this defense. Full of great, versatile players.

Bell was just a bad ***. He hits like a truck.

plasticman

Reaction score
You can forget about any concept related to a traditional 4-3 defense. Honestly, Quinn has developed a defense with constantly changing formations. There's a 4-2-5, a 3-3-5, 3-2-6, I mean, what can you call that type of defense?

Under Quinn's "Frankenstein" defense, the concept of "starting' a game is going to evolve. He uses..... everybody!

The undrafted rookies and 2nd year players that would normally sit on a bench until a starter is injured is now on the field, featured in a "package". He fills their heads with just enough information and preparation to play great in that package. His philosophy seems to be, I can't teach them everything but I can teach them how to do one or two things really well.

This might also be a strategy used by McCarthy in recognition of the fact that 17-20 games of football at this level will wear down any human being, even the most physically fit. The more players you involve in the game, the less each of them have to be on the field. You can't give a player the week off but you can lessen the weekly load. Managing snap counts is an even more important consideration in today's NFL.

They called Tom Landry the "Great Innovator". I think Dan Quinn has a little of that as well.

We'll lose him after this season if the Cowboys get to the NFC championship game. Somebody will offer him the right kind of money. It's a sign of success.

The Cowboys teams of the 90's won three Super Bowls with three different DC's and two different OC's. It's a fact.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
They called Tom Landry the "Great Innovator". I think Dan Quinn has a little of that as well.

The Cowboys teams of the 90's won three Super Bowls with three different DC's and two different OC's. It's a fact.
He does, but a lot of this reminds me of Belichick with his Patriots defenses. Won them how many Super Bowls? Just gotta find a Tom Brady now.

plasticman

Reaction score
He does, but a lot of this reminds me of Belichick with his Patriots defenses. Won them how many Super Bowls? Just gotta find a Tom Brady now.
I'll give you their first one and their last one but when they won SB's with scores like 32-29 and 28-24 and 34-28, their defense wasn't the reason.

Still, even those games were examples of Belicek's innovative draft philosophy as their GM.

Belicek never liked the idea of drafting skill players in the 1st round. He knew they cost money to sign (especially before the rookie cap was introduced), they cost money to resign, they had egos and they could cause headaches.

When you look at his drafts, you will notice that almost all of them were linemen or defensive backs. He did draft one RB in the 1st round but it was pick #32. He also drafted one QB in the first round. Otherwise, they were mostly linemen.

Belicek often traded down, giving up a 1st pick for a 2nd pick and a 1st pick in the next draft. That's what he mostly did. He would try to repeat this each year. During the six drafts from 2008 to 2013 he had 13 2nd round picks and 10 3rd round picks.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Urban Meyer once had a good quote. (Yeah, I know his rep took a big hit, but he once was a successful coach)

“When someone asks me how good our team is they are really asking me how good is our
D-line”

Our D-line is very very good.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'll give you their first one and their last one but when they won SB's with scores like 32-29 and 28-24 and 34-28, their defense wasn't the reason.

Still, even those games were examples of Belicek's innovative draft philosophy as their GM.

Belicek never liked the idea of drafting skill players in the 1st round. He knew they cost money to sign (especially before the rookie cap was introduced), they cost money to resign, they had egos and they could cause headaches.

When you look at his drafts, you will notice that almost all of them were linemen or defensive backs. He did draft one RB in the 1st round but it was pick #32. He also drafted one QB in the first round. Otherwise, they were mostly linemen.

Belicek often traded down, giving up a 1st pick for a 2nd pick and a 1st pick in the next draft. That's what he mostly did. He would try to repeat this each year. During the six drafts from 2008 to 2013 he had 13 2nd round picks and 10 3rd round picks.
And Belichick's defense was usually good.

mperfection

Reaction score
This is a fairly short video on some of what the Cowboys did up front on defense verses the Giants. They are a talented group that attacks constantly. They’re going to give offenses fits all year long.

Of course the guy talks about Parsons, who is the engine that drives the whole thing, but he also talks about Odighizuwa and how good he has gotten. There are a couple of good plays by Mazi and Hankins inside, and he even talks about how well Bell played LB. DeMarcus Lawrence had some really nice plays too.

It shows a little about what Quinn is doing and how he is deploying the guys up front. He really is pretty brilliant with some of what he is doing but make no mistake… there is talent and athleticism in abundance on that Dallas defense.

There was nothing fluky about what they did to the Giants. Get ready to see a whole lot more of this as the season goes along because they are only going to get better and better. If the offense can take care of the ball and have nice time of possession, then just buckle up and enjoy this defense because they are going to unleash all their might on the NFL and will dominate this season.

They are special.

Anyway it is a good video although I wish it was longer. Enjoy.

Excellent, excellent analysis. Thank you for sharing!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yeah, there is just so much Quinn can do with this defense. Full of great, versatile players.

Some team is going to scheme runs against Bell. A team such as with Hill and Cook would be tough to match up in that case, a guard singled directly onto him.

plasticman

Reaction score
And Belichick's defense was usually good.
In his first four Patriot drafts, he spent three 1st round picks on defensive linemen. One of them, Vince Wilfork, was a 5 time pro Bowler. The other, Richard Seymour, is in the Hall of Fame.

Between 2004 and 1012 he had ten 1st round picks. Seven of them went to two or more Pro Bowls. Six of them were on defense. The other was a guard.

Those 10 first round picks accounted for a total of 24 Pro Bowls and 86 seasons as a starter. Five of them had careers for double digit years.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing @AsthmaField , this kid is my favorite to watch Cowboy film breakdowns. He sounds young to me, but man does he understand football.

I'm with you, this defense is scary good. We have so many interchangeable pieces that it's unbelievable.

Seeing Osa at end, LVE at tackle, it's all just crazy and effective. Quinn has his guys now and the roles he creates for all of them is just so fun to watch. Lawrence and Hankins do so much dirty work to open things up for everyone else. Fowler, Armstrong, I means it seems like an endless stream of players on the front who do their roles perfectly.

Quinn is special. What a hire.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Some team is going to scheme runs against Bell. A team such as with Hill and Cook would be tough to match up in that case, a guard singled directly onto him.
The Cowboys would not play Bell or Wilson in a position to allow a lineman to consistently block him. It would be a good match-up.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score

Yeah I’m sadder now he don’t have Overshown at his disposal, but can’t wait til he gets back Donovan Wilson. Wilson is the soul of this defense

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys would not play Bell or Wilson in a position to allow a lineman to consistently block him. It would be a good match-up.
Just behind the line of scrimmage in the middle and that can be targeted...