Video: Dallas DL is a Major Problem for Offenses

MistyAnn

Reaction score
So satisfying to see this kind of domination again, the last time we seen such an explosive blowout in a season opener was 1992 against the Commanders, where the special teams and defence set the team up for victory. Credit to Dan Quinn.

visionary

Reaction score
Its one game against a decent offense

Im as excited about this defense as the next guy but lets pump the breaks a little. Lets see how we do against an offense that has a great OL and runs the ball effectively like Philly and SF, then lets talk

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This is a fairly short video on some of what the Cowboys did up front on defense verses the Giants. They are a talented group that attacks constantly. They’re going to give offenses fits all year long.

Of course the guy talks about Parsons, who is the engine that drives the whole thing, but he also talks about Odighizuwa and how good he has gotten. There are a couple of good plays by Mazi and Hankins inside, and he even talks about how well Bell played LB. DeMarcus Lawrence had some really nice plays too.

It shows a little about what Quinn is doing and how he is deploying the guys up front. He really is pretty brilliant with some of what he is doing but make no mistake… there is talent and athleticism in abundance on that Dallas defense.

There was nothing fluky about what they did to the Giants. Get ready to see a whole lot more of this as the season goes along because they are only going to get better and better. If the offense can take care of the ball and have nice time of possession, then just buckle up and enjoy this defense because they are going to unleash all their might on the NFL and will dominate this season.

They are special.

Anyway it is a good video although I wish it was longer. Enjoy.

This guy does a really good job breaking down film, imo.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I'll give you their first one and their last one but when they won SB's with scores like 32-29 and 28-24 and 34-28, their defense wasn't the reason.

Still, even those games were examples of Belicek's innovative draft philosophy as their GM.

Belicek never liked the idea of drafting skill players in the 1st round. He knew they cost money to sign (especially before the rookie cap was introduced), they cost money to resign, they had egos and they could cause headaches.

When you look at his drafts, you will notice that almost all of them were linemen or defensive backs. He did draft one RB in the 1st round but it was pick #32. He also drafted one QB in the first round. Otherwise, they were mostly linemen.

Belicek often traded down, giving up a 1st pick for a 2nd pick and a 1st pick in the next draft. That's what he mostly did. He would try to repeat this each year. During the six drafts from 2008 to 2013 he had 13 2nd round picks and 10 3rd round picks.
I didn't follow the Patriots enough to speak for their draft strategy but dude could definitely draft linemen on both sides, although not as successful in recent years.

I am glad the Cowboys are strategically employing veterans the same he did. It will never show up in a stat sheet, but I wonder how much Jason Peters mentoring Tyler, or right now Gillmore (a former Pat) mentoring Diggs and Blanda is making us better.

I probably shouldn't use Belichick, because I still think Q leans in his own way more towards the people person Coach Carroll and those Seattle defenses, but with all the formations and mismatches he uses now, definitely reminiscent of those Pats defenses.

For me, Belichick was always the Tom Landry clone. The X and O coach, SUPER stoic personality, needs support though with GM duties. Parcells leaned more towards the Jimmy Johnson side, could run the both sides of the franchise, your button pushing coach with the strong personality.

I'm just glad we can have discussions again about legit Coaches.