Dallas drafts well, proof again

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
none can actually just leave a post positive they always come in and urinate on the positive stuff with 3 pages of BUT and followed by negativity..

place is toxic most days, nothing can stay positive for minute, always the naysayer troll to come pounce all over it.

what theres not enough negative open pages on the front main page you have to come in a destroy the very little positive ones..place is shameful; you all call yourselves fans but won't say a positive word about the team you are allegedly a fan of..smh.

this doesn't take into account 2021 draft one of our top drafts in along time. most of the main page full of negative offseason posts knowing how solid of drafts we have had and the draft hasnt even come yet, this is why some of us come in and clap back hard.:facepalm:

Those 3 wild card round playoff wins this century were awesome. :clap:

entrance-grand-opening.gif

glimmerman

Reaction score
One of the best regular season teams and the floppiest post season team. That’s mental toughness and post season is when coaching makes a difference. We have neither.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...t-drafting-teams-why-another-star-pick-awaits

Nice article breaking down how Dallas has done drafting from 2010 to 2019 verses the rest of the NFL, not just in a vacuum.

Dallas was 8th in draft return during that period, but did it with the 4th least draft capital.

Dallas has gotten a good start in the next decade by drafting Lamb(6th best in class) and Parsons(best in class) the last two drafts.

Another interesting point is that Dallas is the 8th winningest team in the NFL during this same time frame. But Dallas has nothing to show in the post season with all this draft success and wins. That's what everyone remembers and the teams draft success and being a winning team is forgotten.

Many believe Dallas is the worst run organization in the NFL, but if that is the case, the vast MAJORITY of teams in the NFL are poorly run.
Hope we draft well again this year.
With not signing any impact free agents and losing a ton of talent in free agency it's a must.

Sydla

Reaction score
Again, some fans are missing the bigger picture here when they defend Jerry and their drafting.

If you believe they have drafted well then the next logical conclusion is that they stink at others aspects of the job because for all their competent drafting, they've won jack crap. They have 3 playoff wins in 25 years.

So if they draft well, then they clearly suck at:

1 - Hiring coaches
2 - Acquring FAs
3 - Retaining their own players with smart contracts

Frankly, while I think people can go overboard with how great they draft, they do draft fairly well. They really do stink at the other aspects of team building.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
"drafting is a small part of the process" WOW, what a statement.

Drafting is how a team infuses youth into a team and how you stay competitive so you have a chance to win.

Nothing is given, you have to earn it.
You have to draft well for success but you also have to trust in your own investment and add critical FAs, its a symbiotic relationship.
Say in some alternate parallel universe that the Rams had traded for Dak Rather than Stafford.
Do you think the Rams would have shut down shop and decreased FA acquisition talent around Dak like Dallas has done?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Again, some fans are missing the bigger picture here when they defend Jerry and their drafting.

If you believe they have drafted well then the next logical conclusion is that they stink at others aspects of the job because for all their competent drafting, they've won jack crap. They have 3 playoff wins in 25 years.

So if they draft well, then they clearly suck at:

1 - Hiring coaches
2 - Acquring FAs
3 - Retaining their own players with smart contracts

Frankly, while I think people can go overboard with how great they draft, they do draft fairly well. They really do stink at the other aspects of team building.
Love ya Sydia, but I need to know who you believe actually pulls the trigger on draft day. Who has the final say on each pick.
Do you believe this to be a group vote, nobody raises their hands because that would be all over national media and quite an embarrassment.
Im asking you because I respect you, and I imagine your answer will be the same as mine and many other in the know here.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...t-drafting-teams-why-another-star-pick-awaits

Nice article breaking down how Dallas has done drafting from 2010 to 2019 verses the rest of the NFL, not just in a vacuum.

Dallas was 8th in draft return during that period, but did it with the 4th least draft capital.

Dallas has gotten a good start in the next decade by drafting Lamb(6th best in class) and Parsons(best in class) the last two drafts.

Another interesting point is that Dallas is the 8th winningest team in the NFL during this same time frame. But Dallas has nothing to show in the post season with all this draft success and wins. That's what everyone remembers and the teams draft success and being a winning team is forgotten.

Many believe Dallas is the worst run organization in the NFL, but if that is the case, the vast MAJORITY of teams in the NFL are poorly run.

Cowboys are a perfect example of how you need to do more then just nail the draft to win SB's. Cowboys have done incredible in the draft, but failed miserably in FA and trades. Resigning their own guys has been largely a complete disaster. Resigning the wrong guys and overpaying them have cost the Cowboys.

So they fail in FA, they are horrible for the most part with coaching and picking coaches and they usually come up short on trades. Hard to win it all when you run the show like that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You have to draft well for success but you also have to trust in your own investment and add critical FAs, its a symbiotic relationship.
Say in some alternate parallel universe that the Rams had traded for Dak Rather than Stafford.
Do you think the Rams would have shut down shop and decreased FA acquisition talent around Dak like Dallas has done?

Rams pretty much trade away all their top picks so they are forced to spend in FA to fill holes. For better or worse.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Cowboys are a perfect example of how you need to do more then just nail the draft to win SB's. Cowboys have done incredible in the draft, but failed miserably in FA and trades. Resigning their own guys has been largely a complete disaster. Resigning the wrong guys and overpaying them have cost the Cowboys.

So they fail in FA, they are horrible for the most part with coaching and picking coaches and they usually come up short on trades. Hard to win it all when you run the show like that.
A question that I have always asked myself and other close friends that are what I would consider Die Hard Cowboys faithful as well and they could never answer the question...
Is WM only allowed to evaluate potential draft prospects and build the board accordingly?
Or is WMs' preference allowed at time of pick?
My personal opinion is that WM has been told what his place is in this franchise, and he does a really good job and is comfortable in his role, but I dont believe that Jerry and SJ give WM the time of day on his preference at said pick on
on draft day.
WM is probably one of the best talent evaluators in the game, but WM knows that his job is done and opinion doesnt matter once he completes his rookie evaluation grades and sets the board up for Jerry and the Boys on draft day.
Guess he is comfortable in that role, and Im glad we have him, but he is treated like the custodial janitor at the star, when he should be given the GM role,, but that is Jerrys gift to SJ,, he loves his son.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Rams pretty much trade away all their top picks so they are forced to spend in FA to fill holes. For better or worse.
Well I guess you need to really ask yourself if the Rams are better or worse right now.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A question that I have always asked myself and other close friends that are what I would consider Die Hard Cowboys faithful as well and they could never answer the question...
Is WM only allowed to evaluate potential draft prospects and build the board accordingly?
Or is WMs' preference allowed at time of pick?
My personal opinion is that WM has been told what his place is in this franchise, and he does a really good job and is comfortable in his role, but I dont believe that Jerry and SJ give WM the time of day on his preference at said pick on
on draft day.
WM is probably one of the best talent evaluators in the game, but WM knows that his job is done and opinion doesnt matter once he completes his rookie evaluation grades and sets the board up for Jerry and the Boys on draft day.
Guess he is comfortable in that role, and Im glad we have him, but he is treated like the custodial janitor at the star, when he should be given the GM role,, but that is Jerrys gift to SJ,, he loves his son.

Its pretty obvious to me. WM, MM, all these guys give Jones their input and he wants all their opinions. And he may listen to them or not in his head, but when its time to actually draft the guy on the clock, Jerry is the guy that simply says what the final decision is. And I am sure Jerry is asking them their opinions right up until 1 minute before he actually gives the answer.

And everyone else knows Jerry is the boss so they fall in line when asked about it.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Its pretty obvious to me. WM, MM, all these guys give Jones their input and he wants all their opinions. And he may listen to them or not in his head, but when its time to actually draft the guy on the clock, Jerry is the guy that simply says what the final decision is. And I am sure Jerry is asking them their opinions right up until 1 minute before he actually gives the answer.

And everyone else knows Jerry is the boss so they fall in line when asked about it.
OK captain obvious, we agree there easily.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well I guess you need to really ask yourself if the Rams are better or worse right now.

Rams have a plan and they have great coaching. Have the best defense in the NFL and then add a top 10 QB and let McVay handle scoring enough points. They fixed the oline and built their offense around Cooper Kupp. They have a plan.

And they are actually going for it all right now, no if ands or butts. Pulling out all the stops.

Before Stafford, they were worse. But they mortgaged their future in order to go for it now. It worked out and it appears they still have another year window or two.

They use FA, the draft, and lots of trades to get EXACTLY what they feel they need. And they dont over value their own guys. Make tough decisions and get rid of guys they dont need and target stars that can help them.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
OK captain obvious, we agree there easily.

The coaching gap and the GM gap between the Cowboys and Rams is so big its really not fair.

The Rams have rebuilt their team twice under Mcvay and been to two SB's while Jerry is still trying to rebuild his onced. Without a plan we are kinda just feeling around in the dark.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The coaching gap and the GM gap between the Cowboys and Rams is so big its really not fair.

The Rams have rebuilt their team twice under Mcvay and been to two SB's while Jerry is still trying to rebuild his onced. Without a plan we are kinda just feeling around in the dark.
OK, just making sure my boy Roy is still checking in..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
OK, just making sure my boy Roy is still checking in..

I think if you sat down with Jerry and asked him a few simple questions he wouldnt know how to answer them:

1. Jerry are a you defensive minded team or an offensive minded team?

2. On offense are you more of a pass first offense or run first offense.

I dont think he could really answer any of those questions with conviction. I think he would fumble around about being well rounded and good at all of it or a balanced offense, bla bla bla.

But if you cant answer those questions you simply don't have a plan.

You HAVE to choose the answer to these question based on your personnel and model and then exercise that plan. Cowboys simply dont do that.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yet nobody is willing to answer the question that Ive been asking on this forum for a long time now,, since giving Dak his 2nd contract, franchise contract.
Why invest in a franchise QB if you are not going all in to win.
Does this FO recognize Dak as just good enough to keep selling seats, 15 dollar hot dogs and over priced merchandise?
Is Dak really just Jerrys perfect almost good enough hot dog vendor on game day?