Twitter: Dallas finalizing deal with DE Everson Griffen

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah, we just got a major steal. He was only available because he was asking too much at first. We got lucky.

Like I might understand Dre's issue if there was some up and coming stud at RDE and we kind of blocked him with Griffin. But the reality is the RDE spot was a wasteland where we were counting on an oft injured DT trying to play DE, a guy who hadn't taken a NFL snap in 5 years and a kid who hasn't even been reinstated yet.

It's peculiar why Dre has such an issue with this signing. Griffin is better than any DE on our roster save for Lawrence and if the rumor is true, the cost was pretty cheap. It's a no brainer move.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Like I might understand Dre's issue if there was some up and coming stud at RDE and we kind of blocked him with Garrett. But the reality is the RDE spot was a wasteland where we were counting on an oft injured DT trying to play DE, a guy who hadn't taken a NFL snap in 5 years and a kid who hasn't even been reinstated yet.

It's peculiar why Dre has such an issue with this signing. Griffin is better than any DE on our roster save for Lawrence and if the rumor is true, the cost was pretty cheap. It's a no brainer move.
cuz dre is still grieving over garrett being let go. it's effecting his thoughts across the board I see.

Sydla

Reaction score
take the money you are saving and just sign another guy with some possible upside if you need a depth piece. its a new staff and new system in place anyway.

Or take the cap savings and roll it over to next year when the Cowboys are going to be really working the cap hard to get under the expected lower league cap number. I mean if people want to see how he is in camp and view him as insurance in case someone gets hurt (or Poe, for example, struggles to get healthy), I guess I can buy it.

But if Poe and McCoy are healthy, Gallimore shows promise, Hill shows he can be a body and Woods is fine, then Crawford and his $9MM cap hit serve zero purpose and have more value in a cap roll over than anything else.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Good signing. They needed a proven veteran who actually produced as of 2019. Can't rely on Gregory or Aldon (no matter how many times Jay Glazer tries to make Aldon sound like he'll be the second coming of Lawrence Taylor when he returns)

kskboys

Reaction score
What's refreshing is seeing us sign guys like Griffen, Poe, McC, and even Aldon, proven vets who can play at a high level. Yes, they're older, but that doesn't mean they won't be effective as long as we don't overplay them.

This signals a major change in philosophy. I'm ecstatic.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Like I might understand Dre's issue if there was some up and coming stud at RDE and we kind of blocked him with Griffin. But the reality is the RDE spot was a wasteland where we were counting on an oft injured DT trying to play DE, a guy who hadn't taken a NFL snap in 5 years and a kid who hasn't even been reinstated yet.

Yep, it was an excellent signing. We have no idea what we have at RDE. Aldon Smith could be a beast or a shell that doesn't even make the team. Gregory doesn't look like he'll be available. Then we were betting on getting solid playing time from Armstrong, Crawford, Anae, and maybe Joe Jackson. Starting 4 is solidified and having some combo of Smith, Crawford, Anae, Armstrong, and Jackson off thr bench seems pretty solid.

Loso86

Reaction score
Even before the dropped CAP we didn't have enough CAP space to be tag Dak a 2nd time and to be fair, you don't know if they're worried or not.

But as I mentioned, it's not about having CAP space for this season, since remaining CAP always rolls over.
Perhaps so, but obviously if they are worried then he wouldnt be on the team pretty simple bro, they actually came out and said theres no need to touch his contract

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Perhaps so, but obviously if they are worried then he wouldnt be on the team pretty simple bro, they actually came out and said theres no need to touch his contract
They could take him all through camp and cut him for the same cap savings bro.

With him being on the last year of his contract, so post June/pre June not being a factor there is no incentive to cut him until they have to. Make sure Aldon, Gregory(if reinstated), Anae all look up to snuff and then cut bait.
It's simple bro.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Let’s see how a different staff evaluates Crawford.

Just me, but I honestly don't think Griffen signing will impact Crawford's contract. Keep in mind, Griffen's been out there awhile. Had reportedly 2 teams ( Vikes and Seahawks) showing interest. He chose the Cowboys for almost a 1/4 of what he made last year on a one-year prove-it deal at basically $6M. My point is, we've heard nothing from the FO that Crawford's salary or roster spot was in jeopardy. We have heard he's a favorite of Jerry, Stephen, coaches and locker room. With that said, I'm not sure they'd wait four weeks before the start of the season and ask him to take a pay-cut or be released. Of course, I could be wrong but just don't this has anything to do with Crawford salary-wise but we'll see I guess.

quickccc

Reaction score
Unless you need the money now, it goes comes off the books after the season. They could ask him to take a pay cut, but I don't think they will. Due to the uncertainty of the virus, having a playing like Crawford around could be very valuable as players may get affected within the season.

So Crawford a backup rotation guy on the decline .... is actually gonna make more money dollars for this year than what pro bowl caliber DE and starter Griffen is gonna get ? ... wow, that sounds utterly ridiculous. Just for the sake of Locker room presence and a Covid 19 reserve body ?
...SMH... :facepalm:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Perhaps so, but obviously if they are worried then he wouldnt be on the team pretty simple bro, they actually came out and said theres no need to touch his contract[/QUOTE]

Not just this but they've ignored his request to voluntarily take a pay-cut.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Wow, completely shocked! He was the pass rusher I wanted the team to target as soon as he became a fa. With a lot of rumors going around about his off the field behavior, I didn't see this signing coming. This just tells us, that wasn't the issue, it was all about his price. He probably lowered his demands and chose Dallas due to his former DC on our staff.

He is a balanced DE, very good run defender and a quality pass rusher. We even saw him have success playing inside against the Saints in the postseason. I believe our biggest priority need has been filled. Our DL is more of a strength now, loaded with depth and veteran leadership. Outstanding signing!! I just read for just 6 million, even better!!

I try to place a comparison to Griffin, and have thought maybe a better version of Ebenezer Ekuban sp.... ?