Dallas lost because they were tactically outcoached

doomsday9084

Reaction score
First, let's start with the defense

Its painful to watch but relevant. If you look at the running plays, the Packers are frequently running the same blocking scheme that has killed the Cowboys for a while. All of the linemen immediately go one direction. There is no pulling or complicated scheme. What is happening here is that defenders are trying to hold their gap as the gap rapidly moves to one side. With the size limitations of the defenders involved, eventually one of the gaps opens and Jones is free to pick it. GB isn't running plays into specific holes as much as just letting Jones go where the defense isn't. This isn't new. Teams have been doing this and it worked. There are fixes for this, like putting 8 in the box, 5 linemen, etc. and but I have seen no effort by Quinn to fundamentally change the tactics to address this weakness.

The issues with the team for some reason starting the game in a soft zone have been well documented. I have no idea why this was tried, much less why Dallas kept doing it when it obviously was not working.

When Dallas was on offense, GB didn't copy recent teams. I'll give them credit. They sat down and figured out a good number of Dallas' plays at a fundamental level. Dak has publicly commented that they were changing at the snap. If you have followed him all year, what Dak does is he gets a pre-snap read and that tells him which side of the field to throw to. He then usually has a single high/low read leading to a quick throw. This has been the offense all year and for the most part, it worked well. What GB did is figured out a way to break Dak's read progression. That's why he had the deer in the headlights look. The offense is set up for quick throws off 1 2 reads. Again, like the defense, there are fixes for this that can be done with playcalling and personnel. McCarthy didn't do anything and just kept feeding the players into the meatgrinder.

Before the game, McCarthy was quoted as saying something to the effect of "you do what got you here". Quite frankly, this is reminiscent of a lot of Garrett's philosophy of just line up and beat your man. On offense, the team seemed to have absolutely no game specific plays or plans. McCarthy seemed to be treating it like a preseason game while LaFleur had prepared like it was the super bowl.

I do not blame the players nearly as much as others here do. I didn't see a ton of fumbles or missed assignments or dropped balls leading to a loss. Dak wasn't air mailing balls 10 feet over people's heads. They were put in a bad situation tactically and were not prepared to play. The NFL is a coach's league in that regard. GB took guys like Parsons and CeeDee out of the game which is possible when the Cowboys staff just sits on their hands and ignores the game being played in front of them.

I think McCarthy has done some good things in Dallas. Same with Quinn. That said, they both seem to have the same fundamental flaw in that they are not great preparers or in game coaches. If their base tactics don't work or things start going against them, they are powerless to change things up. This was a knock against them prior to their time in Dallas and it all came together on Sunday. This was also a knock on Garrett, who also was no tactical or game preparation genius.

As others have said, this all eventually falls back on Jerry but I'll be specific about it. Jerry doesn't know enough about football apparently to evaluate if the coach talking in front of him knows what he is talking about. As a result, he just falls for their lines about "analytics" hook line and sinker. Dallas is going to keep falling into the same trap as a result. Until the cowboys have a disciplinarian head coach backed up by tactically smart assistants, they will always fall short.

Relevant old article that really shows how brain dead Jerry is regarding coaching:
https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-co...lls-2005-cowboys-staff-has-seventh-head-coach
During the 2014 season, Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones called Jason Garrett's coaching staff perhaps the best he has had since taking over the team in 1989.

If Jones believes that, then more power to him. He has had some great coaching staffs, starting with the ones that won Super Bowls for him in the 1990s with Jimmy Johnson, Norv Turner and Dave Wannstedt heading up the crew.

But the Cowboys' staff in 2005 is pretty impressive as well.

Todd Bowles became the seventh assistant coach from Bill Parcells' staff to become a head coach when he was tabbed to take over for the New York Jets. Bowles was a secondary coach for the Cowboys from 2005-07.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

Its painful to watch but relevant. If you look at the running plays, the Packers are frequently running the same blocking scheme that has killed the Cowboys for a while. All of the linemen immediately go one direction. There is no pulling or complicated scheme. What is happening here is that defenders are trying to hold their gap as the gap rapidly moves to one side. With the size limitations of the defenders involved, eventually one of the gaps opens and Jones is free to pick it. GB isn't running plays into specific holes as much as just letting Jones go where the defense isn't. This isn't new. Teams have been doing this and it worked. There are fixes for this, like putting 8 in the box, 5 linemen, etc. and but I have seen no effort by Quinn to fundamentally change the tactics to address this weakness.

The issues with the team for some reason starting the game in a soft zone have been well documented. I have no idea why this was tried, much less why Dallas kept doing it when it obviously was not working.

When Dallas was on offense, GB didn't copy recent teams. I'll give them credit. They sat down and figured out a good number of Dallas' plays at a fundamental level. Dak has publicly commented that they were changing at the snap. If you have followed him all year, what Dak does is he gets a pre-snap read and that tells him which side of the field to throw to. He then usually has a single high/low read leading to a quick throw. This has been the offense all year and for the most part, it worked well. What GB did is figured out a way to break Dak's read progression. That's why he had the deer in the headlights look. The offense is set up for quick throws off 1 2 reads. Again, like the defense, there are fixes for this that can be done with playcalling and personnel. McCarthy didn't do anything and just kept feeding the players into the meatgrinder.

Before the game, McCarthy was quoted as saying something to the effect of "you do what got you here". Quite frankly, this is reminiscent of a lot of Garrett's philosophy of just line up and beat your man. On offense, the team seemed to have absolutely no game specific plays or plans. McCarthy seemed to be treating it like a preseason game while LaFleur had prepared like it was the super bowl.

I do not blame the players nearly as much as others here do. I didn't see a ton of fumbles or missed assignments or dropped balls leading to a loss. Dak wasn't air mailing balls 10 feet over people's heads. They were put in a bad situation tactically and were not prepared to play. The NFL is a coach's league in that regard. GB took guys like Parsons and CeeDee out of the game which is possible when the Cowboys staff just sits on their hands and ignores the game being played in front of them.

I think McCarthy has done some good things in Dallas. Same with Quinn. That said, they both seem to have the same fundamental flaw in that they are not great preparers or in game coaches. If their base tactics don't work or things start going against them, they are powerless to change things up. This was a knock against them prior to their time in Dallas and it all came together on Sunday. This was also a knock on Garrett, who also was no tactical or game preparation genius.

As others have said, this all eventually falls back on Jerry but I'll be specific about it. Jerry doesn't know enough about football apparently to evaluate if the coach talking in front of him knows what he is talking about. As a result, he just falls for their lines about "analytics" hook line and sinker. Dallas is going to keep falling into the same trap as a result. Until the cowboys have a disciplinarian head coach backed up by tactically smart assistants, they will always fall short.

Relevant old article that really shows how brain dead Jerry is regarding coaching:
https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-co...lls-2005-cowboys-staff-has-seventh-head-coach

Good breakdown, they just got schooled by a better coaching staff. Its just puzzling defensively why they just didn't go back to more man coverage on defense and get up and jam the receivers as well. Perhaps the biggest gripe I have with Quinn's d is how far off the ball he has his dbs play.

Offensively, it seemed the running game was working at times and they were mixing in some different runs including delayed handoffs. The Packers kept changing looks and McCarthy could have just simplified play calling by mixing in more screens or taking advantage of the 4 man fronts with runs.

Rayman70

Reaction score

this was 1 main reason YES...but ultimately, McCarthy has to stop the bleeding defensively and get the entire team gathered on the sidelines and make adjustments if DQ wont. DQ almost sabotaged the team. I said what u guys are thinking. That is why MM must go. He sat there watching what we were and offered nothing. He could have overridden DQ. I saw no passion from MM and the team. We were woefully beaten by a .500 team AT HOME. Jerry doesn't like being embarrassed like this to a degree by which we were humiliated. This on the heels of inducting JJ in the ring the week prior. I am sure he is fuming. Question is, how far is he willing to go to change things? Time for Jerry to put up or shut up.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Random conspiracy..

I wonder if Shannahan helped Lefleur with his game plan against Dallas.
Its certainly odd. Lafleur is an above average coach but on Sunday he was a super genius. Everything he tried came up aces. GB's offensive success was just watching film on what worked combined with Quinn pooping his pants. GB's defensive success was another level. Perhaps SF and Buffalo did this and I missed it and GB copied them . . . or maybe LaFleur had some great advice.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Its certainly odd. Lafleur is an above average coach but on Sunday he was a super genius. Everything he tried came up aces. GB's offensive success was just watching film on what worked combined with Quinn pooping his pants. GB's defensive success was another level. Perhaps SF and Buffalo did this and I missed it and GB copied them . . . or maybe LaFleur had some great advice.
its like they know the plays in advance. Funny what happens when opposing teams are detailed oriented. We aren't. We are over-see-ers. MM even said it. In todays game, thats not nearly enuff. Offenses are all good now. Complicated. Having guys running so wide open where you can't see a Dallas jersey in the frame is a BIG issue!!! Been this way 3 years running.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
As a Cowboys fan I go into almost every game knowing the Cowboys will be outcoached.

Been that way since Jimmy left.
Earlier in the season, Dallas ran a few pick plays that got TD's. My first thought was "OMG coaching on Dallas?!?!?!"

It stuck out because it was so rare to see over the past few decades.

75boyz

Reaction score
I cant forget from years ago when Rodgers had already said McCarthy was dumb and then there was follow up on this into specifics with Greg Jennings..
It was specific to x's and o's.

Basically play(s) called against specific defenses that had no chance of success based on the defense being played against them.

It prompted Rodgers to change play(s) often.

Funny, cuz I remember reports of Romo doing this in Garretts beat your man offense too, lol.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
its like they know the plays in advance. Funny what happens when opposing teams are detailed oriented. We aren't. We are over-see-ers. MM even said it. In todays game, thats not nearly enuff. Offenses are all good now. Complicated. Having guys running so wide open where you can't see a Dallas jersey in the frame is a BIG issue!!! Been this way 3 years running.
Yeah, I don't think I communicated it well. I'm guessing that Dallas has a relatively limited playbook. It looked to me like GB had all their plays down to the point where they knew in this formation, do this. It was fantastically obvious that GB put a lot more work into game preparation and game specific actions than Dallas did.

You just can't roll out the same schemes week after week in the NFL. Eventually, someone figures them out and then everyone copies that. IMO, that's the core reason why Dallas always fades at the end. By the end of the year, the NFL has the book on the Cowboys.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I cant forget from years ago when Rodgers had already said McCarthy was dumb and then there was follow up on into specifics with Greg Jennings I believe.
It was specific to x's and o's.

Basically play(s) called against specific defenses that had no chance of success based on the defense being played against them.

It prompted Rodgers to change play(s) often.

Funny, cuz I remember reports if Romo doing this in Garretts beat your man offense too, lol.
The fact that Garrett and McCarthy have this same flaw is disturbing. It does not bode well for the next coach.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Good breakdown, they just got schooled by a better coaching staff. Its just puzzling defensively why they just didn't go back to more man coverage on defense and get up and jam the receivers as well. Perhaps the biggest gripe I have with Quinn's d is how far off the ball he has his dbs play.

Offensively, it seemed the running game was working at times and they were mixing in some different runs including delayed handoffs. The Packers kept changing looks and McCarthy could have just simplified play calling by mixing in more screens or taking advantage of the 4 man fronts with runs.
You burn me twice, I'm changing things up. I'm not going to sit there and let someone just beat me over and over. I'm coming in with 3 game plans ready at moments notice, and 4 if I need it. If it's me against you, we're going to have to battle it out just you and me.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Honestly what does anyone expect out of a coach when the number one through ten qualifier is allowing Jerry to do, say and act however he wants?

The rest is all secondary.

Jerry has to be the man. Shouldn’t blame anyone but himself, but that’s not how billionaire narcissists operate.

Can’t wait until he talks and basically says how more of him and his kid is the answer. Could get ugly, but doubtful since the media knows they will be blackballed if they remotely call him out.