Dallas mayor wants another NFL team

Diehardblues

Reaction score
“This part of Texas is nearly big enough for a second pro football team. But either Fort Worth or Dallas would probably have to beat out Frisco for it. Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson rekindled a flame in his city last week that has been cold 50 years. On Twitter, he told the NFL that south Dallas deserves a team along with the Dallas Cowboys.”

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/bud-kennedy/article261098682.html#storylink=cpy
https://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/bud-kennedy/article261098682.html

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This story first broke on WFAA Local channel 8 which was using Dallas’ Mayors tweeter feed as a source. He was pleading for another NFL team since North Texas and the Dallas/ FT Worth Metroplex are on pace to becoming the third largest metro area in the country only behind NY and LA which he argued had two teams.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Please mods edit title for me, I mistyped major instead of mayor. Thanks

Xelda

Reaction score
“This part of Texas is nearly big enough for a second pro football team. But either Fort Worth or Dallas would probably have to beat out Frisco for it. Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson rekindled a flame in his city last week that has been cold 50 years. On Twitter, he told the NFL that south Dallas deserves a team along with the Dallas Cowboys.”

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/bud-kennedy/article261098682.html#storylink=cpy
https://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/bud-kennedy/article261098682.html
That could be just the thing that pushes Jerry to do right by us or give us an option b. We don't have an option b now because every team out there has offended us beyond reconciliation. Or is it just me?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That could be just the thing that pushes Jerry to do right by us or give us an option b. We don't have an option b now because every team out there has offended us beyond reconciliation. Or is it just me?
This isn’t about Jethro or the Cowboys. This is about the enormous growth in Dallas and North Texas.

It’s mind boggling that Dallas metro area is going to be 3rd most populated behind NY & LA.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I just wanted to add I didn’t sense the mayors proposal was anything but positive for the city of Dallas and North Texas . And I don’t think it would change anything Jethro would do.

This wasn’t about slamming Jethro or the Cowboys but instead all about the mayor promoting his city.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Mayor Laura Miller blew it years ago.
The Cowboys could've transformed the Fair Park area of Dallas but instead ended up in Arlington.

City Hall in Dallas has always been dysfunctional

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Mayor Laura Miller blew it years ago.
The Cowboys could've transformed the Fair Park area of Dallas but instead ended up in Arlington.

City Hall in Dallas has always been dysfunctional
Fair Park isn’t an ideal neighborhood .

North Texas in more affluent areas where much of the growth is would appear more ideal. Maybe even Collin County.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Fair Park isn’t an ideal neighborhood .

North Texas in more affluent areas where much of the growth is would appear more ideal.
Hence, the term...."transform"

The discussion was about what would help the city of Dallas, not what was best for the Cowboys

And I agree that of course, the suburbs are more affluent.

You missed my point.
The City of Dallas cannot complain now, because they demonized the Cowboys and their rich owner instead of taking the long and bigger picture view

Diehardblues

Reaction score

The discussion was about what would help the city of Dallas, not what was best for the Cowboys

You missed my point.
The City of Dallas cannot complain now, because they demonized the Cowboys and their rich owner instead of taking the long and bigger picture view
I’m not sure how not building a stadium for the Cowboys in which their owner wanted the majority of stake was in the best interest for attracting another NFL franchise at this time. And I didn’t hear any narrative in which the mayor was complaining as such.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
If there were a third Texas team, I think it would make a lot more sense for it to be in San Antonio.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

You missed my point.
I don’t think the mayor of Dallas was complaining. He was just promoting why Dallas and North Texas would be suitable for a second team. He certainly didn’t come off like they missed an opportunity or lost the Cowboys as a franchise representing our city and area.

I’m not sure you took the context of his plea correctly. It had nothing to do with the Cowboys. He was simply selling that our city and metro area are soon to become the third largest in the country and could support a second team like the two largest metro areas in NY and LA.