Signed by Cowboys Dallas sign DL Carlos Watkins

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
100% my gripe. He’s not an upgrade over Gallimore nor Hill

Well, I think he might be a slight upgrade over them (jury's still out, though, especially with Gallimore), but we need more than a slight upgrade. We are doomed to being mediocre on defense as long as we continue to not invest in it.

I was hoping (not expecting) that the Joneses would finally get that after last season's FA catastrophe, but I think they want to believe their philosophy is the right one and are deluding themselves into believing it by blaming last year on the injuries (when the injuries had only a slight effect on the defensive side of the ball IMO).

Rayman70

Reaction score
Can't wait for the homers to spin this one.

"Hey guys, relax, free agency isn't over........... they'll sign some upgrades and the team will be better heading into the draft..........."

LOL.
Rc0b5f8de43cab1566455aca20dee4585
SURE KID...lol

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
That's why I just can't believe Jerry can be so awesome at running a business yet so awful at being a GM. Just don't add up.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
He was better last season then Crawford was for the past three years. That is an upgrade right there.

Rayman70

Reaction score
That's why I just can't believe Jerry can be so awesome at running a business yet so awful at being a GM. Just don't add up.
maybe it aint him? Sounds nuts but what if its Stephen? Food for thought.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If this contract is more than 1 year and more than 6 figures then it’s a bad contract. Or if any of it is guaranteed. He’s basically going to compete for a bottom of the roster spot.

No. He's competing for playing time with Hill and Gallimore and possibly whoever we bring in in the draft. He's this year's Christian Covington, Brian Price, Cedric Thornton or Terrell McClain.

The signing probably also signals that after trying to get an aging bona fide DT in Gerald McCoy last year (or like they did with Stephen Paea a couple of years ago), the Joneses decided its better to go after never-was players with potential as starters/rotation in the bargain bin than has-beens.

We're back to taxing the pro personnel department with uncovering gems when we've yet to find a diamond.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
He was better last season then Crawford was for the past three years. That is an upgrade right there.

Me sitting on the couch last year was as good as Crawford. Sign me...Jerry!! I bet this Watkins will be dust just as Pope was last season. I guess on defense Jerry just likes giving free money away just to look like he's doing something.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Liked him coming out of college, but right now sheesh ***. Why does this team not believe in a NT?

Plankton

Reaction score
You would think that a team would look at what is available in free agency, and look at what is available in the draft, and make an appropriate decision in how to attack free agency for a position of obvious need. This draft is not deep at defensive tackle, nor is there even a lock walk in starter in the crop. Christian Barmore is in all likelihood the best guy available, and he needs a lot of work.

Rather than make a modest investment in a guy like Dalvin Tomlinson or even a more modest one in Davon Godchaux, the Cowboys sign a guy with motor issues and middling production.

This team has no clue in how to prioritize the free agent market in conjunction with what's available in the draft.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
He might be the DE. you know we like guys that had pass success trying tp recreate stuff (see Kiffin/Rod). Quinn will try to sell us that Watkins is the new Red Bryant lol