Dallas, we have a problem.......

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
Two of our best players are FAs after the 06 season.

Witten and Roy are both FAs and are both going to want big bucks because of Ed Reed and Todd Heap, does anyone see us signing them both before they are FAs?

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Not until a new CBA is reached I don't see us signing any big contracts after this season now if a new CBA is reached then I'd expect them to both receive new contracts next offseason or sometime during the 06 season.

CalMor

Reaction score
TheKey said:

Witten and Roy are both FAs and are both going to want big bucks because of Ed Reed and Todd Heap, does anyone see us signing them both before they are FAs?

Two cornerstones of each side of the ball. No way they make it to free agent.(JMO)

ravidubey

Reaction score
No problem at all. They will both sign extensions long before February 07 rolls around. Recall the cap is currently 85 million and will be closer to 100million by 2007 after this new CBA is hammered out.

That figure is staggering.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Then Julius and T-New in 08 and (most likely) Ware and Spears in 09.
The NFLPA has always been quick to agree after the strike shortened season in the 80's and with the salary cap escalating I have nothing much to worry about.
Stephen Jones is always good with that and Every year other teams in the NFL have to worry about signing their stars as well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TheKey said:

I think it is a great thing, it has been too long since we had guys worth paying out big money to keep. Jerry will get them signed

mullet

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I think it is a great thing, it has been too long since we had guys worth paying out big money to keep. Jerry will get them signed

indeed. and it is a double-edge sword. if the cowboys are going to be 'great' again, they will have an elevating payroll. and get tighter and tighter to the cap.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry and Stephen Jones have said on different occasions that they do not even talk extension until one year before the end of the contract at the earliest.

I have no worries that they will sign these two guys....they are both very big parts to their side of the ball.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
mullet said:
indeed. and it is a double-edge sword. if the cowboys are going to be 'great' again, they will have an elevating payroll. and get tighter and tighter to the cap.

Well we have been tasting one side of that sword for too long, I would much rather tastes the other side once again with players capable of getting us a Championship.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
What keeps me happy is that we've drafted high character guys. I think most of these guys aren't going to cause too much hooplah over contracts, especially if they are playing on contracts that haven't expired yet.

dallas2002

Reaction score
Witten will only be a restricted free agent after 2006. He will have only completed 3 years in the league. If a long term contract can't be worked, the cowboys will have to give him the highest tender offer usually around 1.5 million or so for one season, but that means if the cowboys decide not to match a contract offer, they would receive both a 1st and 3rd round pick. The tender is a way to scare teams off from even pursuing. But after the 2006-2007 season is where he would be an unrestricted free agent. Roy signed a seven year rookie deal, that was voidable after 5 years, so he will be eligble for unrestricted free agency after the 06-07 season as well.

So basically, both guys will be eligible for unrestricted free agency during the 2007 offseason.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
dallas2002 said:
Witten will only be a restricted free agent after 2006. He will have only completed 3 years in the league.

Witten has played two years already. This coming season (2005) will be his third. The 2006 season will be his fourth.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Jerry and Stephen Jones have said on different occasions that they do not even talk extension until one year before the end of the contract at the earliest.

I have no worries that they will sign these two guys....they are both very big parts to their side of the ball.

Agreed unless a big time injury or something very wierd happens. I don't see those two getting into off field issues.

I'm still gun shy when it comes to injuries.