Dalvin Cook - Part 2

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone believes that Cook doesn't make us a better team; the best possible 1-2 punch; the highest quality RB out there and certainly much better and more versatile than any RB outside of Pollard, yet more experienced than Pollard.

Many think if Jerry is really all in this year, then this is a no brainer and the only RB who keeps us solid if there’s another injury, the only RB that we can all say there’s no real drop off when Pollard is on the sideline.

So what are the possible issues?
  • Salary…we can afford to pay Cook easily, but if Pollard shines as the starter, does a Cook contract hinder resigning Pollard.
  • Team chemistry. Yes, we should do what’s best for the team, but how does this affect Pollard who was finally expecting to be the #1 guy. You can’t sign Cook and not give him at least a 50-50 ratio.
  • Is Dallas already planning to bring Zeke back, but this time with the understanding that his role is short yardage and pass pro, maybe even as an occasional FB in a 2-back set, but knowing that Pollard is the starter? If they are hoping to do this if Zeke has no other options, then maybe they have no interest in Cook or drag their feet.
  • Cook is still near or in his prime, still has his speed. After Minnesota, is he willing to be part of a committee or is he more likely looking to be the #1 for any team making an offer?
Personally, I feel Dallas is between a rock and a hard place at RB. Pollard is already guaranteed 10 million this season. I would feel comfortable giving Cook or Pollard a 3 year deal, but can you give Cook that with Pollard making 10 million and possibly later being better than Cook during the season? Can you sign Pollard to a 3 year deal based on his explosive plays last year, giving him starter’s money when he hasn’t yet proven he can handle that role?

Unless Dallas believes Ronald Jones and Malik Davis can give us what we need in the case of a Pollard injury with the Deuce experiment as a situational player, then I for one am not at all comfortable with our RB situation. From top to bottom, there are nothing but questions, not a single element we can be completely confident in to provide the short yardage success and pass pro that we are accustomed to. If it’s not Cook or a solid veteran pickup after cuts (not a dinosaur like Fournette), then I would actually breath a sigh of relief if Zeke was added later on a 1- year contract for specific roles. I hope it doesn’t come to that, but in my opinion we still need a solid #2 RB added to this committee.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone believes that Cook doesn't make us a better team; the best possible 1-2 punch; the highest quality RB out there and certainly much better and more versatile than any RB outside of Pollard, yet more experienced than Pollard.

Many think if Jerry is really all in this year, then this is a no brainer and the only RB who keeps us solid if there’s another injury, the only RB that we can all say there’s no real drop off when Pollard is on the sideline.

• Salary…we can afford to pay Cook easily, but if Pollard shines as the starter, does a Cook contract hinder resigning Pollard.
  • Team chemistry. Yes, we should do what’s best for the team, but how does this affect Pollard who was finally expecting to be the #1 guy. You can’t sign Cook and not give him at least a 50-50 ratio.
  • Is Dallas already planning to bring Zeke back, but this time with the understanding that his role is short yardage and pass pro, maybe even as an occasional FB in a 2-back set, but knowing that Pollard is the starter? If they are hoping to do this if Zeke has no other options, then maybe they have no interest in Cook or drag their feet.
  • Cook is still near or in his prime, still has his speed. After Minnesota, is he willing to be part of a committee or is he more likely looking to be the #1 for any team making an offer?
Personally, I feel Dallas is between a rock and a hard place at RB. Pollard is already guaranteed 10 million this season. I would feel comfortable giving Cook or Pollard a 3 year deal, but can you give Cook that with Pollard making 10 million and possibly later being better than Cook during the season? Can you sign Pollard to a 3 year deal based on his explosive plays last year, giving him starter’s money when he hasn’t yet proven he can handle that role?

Unless Dallas believes Ronald Jones and Malik Davis can give us what we need in the case of a Pollard injury with the Deuce experiment as a situational player, then I for one am not at all comfortable with our RB situation. From top to bottom, there are nothing but questions, not a single element we can be completely confident in to provide the short yardage success and pass pro that we are accustomed to. If it’s not Cook or a solid veteran pickup after cuts (not a dinosaur like Fournette), then I would actually breath a sigh of relief if Zeke was added later on a 1- year contract for specific roles. I hope it doesn’t come to that, but in my opinion we still need a solid #2 RB added to this committee.
I don't think Dallas has any intention of bringing on Cook. I do believe that if Tony goes down again, we will be in trouble at RB. It will be San Fran all season long. No ground game. jmho

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I don't think Dallas has any intention of bringing on Cook. I do believe that if Tony goes down again, we will be in trouble at RB. It will be San Fran all season long. No ground game. jmho
Yup.

I don't understand why Dallas is so bad at picking up RBs. For most of the league, it's a plug and play type position. But for whatever reason, we just don't get have the right bodies at depth.

visionary

Reaction score
We absolutely absolutely absolutely NEED a starter as our number 2 RB to have ANY realistic hope of getting to a SB with Dak

This FO is so stupid it’s insane

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Yup.

I don't understand why Dallas is so bad at picking up RBs. For most of the league, it's a plug and play type position. But for whatever reason, we just don't get have the right bodies at depth.
It's like that with every position on this team. I always found it strange how under Garrett we'd have a guy get injured then they pick up some has been instead of letting the back ups come in.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We have better backs than Zeke on the roster.

Not guys limited to 60 yard games.

The problem with Zeke is he was just so slow and holes were closing before he could get there.

Losing Pollard would be bad but I think the guys
Behind him at least have fresh legs.

rambo2

Reaction score

He isn't in his prime.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Not comfortable at RB. Malik Davis isn’t the answer. Don’t know R. Jones. Is Pollard really 100%?

This is a no brainier for me. Get Cooks.

Creeper

Reaction score
They are already paying Pollard over $10 million, aren't they? If Cook wants $10 million or more they would be paying over $20 million for the RBs, a position that is not as important as it used to be. I think every team would be interesting in DC if he was willing to take $5 million but not at $10 million or more.

rambo2

Reaction score
We have better backs than Zeke on the roster.

Not guys limited to 60 yard games.

The problem with Zeke is he was just so slow and holes were closing before he could get there.

Losing Pollard would be bad but I think the guys
Behind him at least have fresh legs.
The problem with Zeke is that he had a hurt knee. He very well might have something left. He could help a team with limited work and some good rest going into this season.

rambo2

Reaction score
Not comfortable at RB. Malik Davis isn’t the answer. Don’t know R. Jones. Is Pollard really 100%?

This is a no brainier for me. Get Cooks.
I suspect that Davis might be pretty good. He hasn't looked bad at all when looked at under the microscope.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I am fine with the running ability behind Pollard. If Oline does their job, I think they will be just fine.

Pass Pro other than Jones is sub par or unproven. I agree on that.

That is my biggest concern with Vaughn. I don't see how you can put him on the field and expect him to block which means you can't really utilize him as a true RB.

I would love to have Cooks as I think he can still be productive but frankly I haven't put that much thought into it because I just don't see the team making the move unless something goes wrong elsewhere.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
With Pollard and Vaughn we do not need an all around feature back much less at $10+m. Emmitt Smith's greatness both fixed and poisoned our minds to the changing of times.

There is an opportunity cost with those two should we sign him.

A cheapo contract for Fournette or some other short yardage roleplayer is the same improvement without the downsides.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

He wants big money to be the #1 back. What is it that you arent understanding?