Dalvin Cook - Part 2

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone believes that Cook doesn't make us a better team; the best possible 1-2 punch; the highest quality RB out there and certainly much better and more versatile than any RB outside of Pollard, yet more experienced than Pollard.

Many think if Jerry is really all in this year, then this is a no brainer and the only RB who keeps us solid if there’s another injury, the only RB that we can all say there’s no real drop off when Pollard is on the sideline.

So what are the possible issues?
  • Salary…we can afford to pay Cook easily, but if Pollard shines as the starter, does a Cook contract hinder resigning Pollard.
  • Team chemistry. Yes, we should do what’s best for the team, but how does this affect Pollard who was finally expecting to be the #1 guy. You can’t sign Cook and not give him at least a 50-50 ratio.
  • Is Dallas already planning to bring Zeke back, but this time with the understanding that his role is short yardage and pass pro, maybe even as an occasional FB in a 2-back set, but knowing that Pollard is the starter? If they are hoping to do this if Zeke has no other options, then maybe they have no interest in Cook or drag their feet.
  • Cook is still near or in his prime, still has his speed. After Minnesota, is he willing to be part of a committee or is he more likely looking to be the #1 for any team making an offer?
Personally, I feel Dallas is between a rock and a hard place at RB. Pollard is already guaranteed 10 million this season. I would feel comfortable giving Cook or Pollard a 3 year deal, but can you give Cook that with Pollard making 10 million and possibly later being better than Cook during the season? Can you sign Pollard to a 3 year deal based on his explosive plays last year, giving him starter’s money when he hasn’t yet proven he can handle that role?

Unless Dallas believes Ronald Jones and Malik Davis can give us what we need in the case of a Pollard injury with the Deuce experiment as a situational player, then I for one am not at all comfortable with our RB situation. From top to bottom, there are nothing but questions, not a single element we can be completely confident in to provide the short yardage success and pass pro that we are accustomed to. If it’s not Cook or a solid veteran pickup after cuts (not a dinosaur like Fournette), then I would actually breath a sigh of relief if Zeke was added later on a 1- year contract for specific roles. I hope it doesn’t come to that, but in my opinion we still need a solid #2 RB added to this committee.
I don't think its just about the salary.

RB by committee usually doens't have a dominant RB, so as a result its by Committee. if there is a #1 RB, and you pay him, then he needs to carry the load. My concern with Pollard is he has never been the lead back and carry the load. if he doesn't need to as some have argued, then why pay him 10M (which is average salary of top 5 RBs) and is he then a top 5 RB?

and people tend to approach this as fantasy football. "hey, we have Pollard and lets get Cook and we are twice as dangerous". that is if you had a fantasy football team and counting fantasy points. Facts are that both of them won't be on the field at the same time. perhaps in some plays or formations, but that's not going to be the regular formation. neither is a blocker. neither can lead into open holes. as we don't expect them to be. so this fantasy of both on the field is just that. a fantasy.

with that said, last year chicago had second highest number of rushing attempts per game at 32/gm. that includes the 160 attempts by Fields and mainly because they had no passing offense.
Cowboys averaged 31 attempts per game and a lot of that came at the end of several blow outs, when in closer games we averaged around 25. Zeke and Pollard averaged 24 carries per game.

so splitting 24 carries when it really counts between two RBs, one making 10M, and the other wanting about the same. makes no sense. plus, it won't make us twice as dangerous. they will be in there one at a time.

so the question is if we want Cook, then is he better than Pollard. if he is, then can we let pollard go and then sign Cook for about the same money. perhaps even trade Pollard for a low round pick (not sure if that's feasible).

Having Cook and Pollard doesn't make sense, unless we want to be deep at RB in case of injury, in which case you are paying a back up major money or you are paying major money to two part time RBs. neither makes sense.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They are already paying Pollard over $10 million, aren't they? If Cook wants $10 million or more they would be paying over $20 million for the RBs, a position that is not as important as it used to be. I think every team would be interesting in DC if he was willing to take $5 million but not at $10 million or more.
not only that, then you are either paying 10M for a back up RB or 10M each to two part time RB. that money is for top 5 RB. there is 25 carries per game to be slit between the two. they won't each have a ball to run with. and no way we run 40 times a game.

either let Pollard walk and sign Cook if you think he is better than Pollard, or just move on from Cook

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
With Pollard and Vaughn we do not need an all around feature back much less at $10+m. Emmitt Smith's greatness both fixed and poisoned our minds to the changing of times.

There is an opportunity cost with those two should we sign him.

A cheapo contract for Fournette or some other short yardage roleplayer is the same improvement without the downsides.
Id kick the tires on James Robinson, Benny Snell or The Drake

rambo2

Reaction score
Hope you’re right. I just think that if they’re as positive about the season as they seem to be, then go out and get a D. Cooks.
It's a hard call on their part. They have the 6 backs on their roster and then the free agents are still out there.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
He isn't in his prime.
No? He rushed for 1173 yards last season, averaged 4.4 per carry, averaged 4.0 per carry on 15 carries in their playoff loss, and still has speed evidenced by the fact that the longest run of his career came last season, 64 yards. He’s still a #1 RB in this league. He also had 39 receptions for 395 yards.

Last edited:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We have better backs than Zeke on the roster.

Not guys limited to 60 yard games.

The problem with Zeke is he was just so slow and holes were closing before he could get there.

Losing Pollard would be bad but I think the guys
Behind him at least have fresh legs.
Zeke was awful last season and for awhile now…..I would only say that he is probably still better in pass pro and on short yardage or goal line runs than any back currently on the team. I see Zeke as a part time, special situation back now. I’m not sure if he sees himself that way.

rambo2

Reaction score
No? He rushed for 1173 yards last season, averaged 4.4 per carry, averaged 4.0 per carry on 15 carries in their playoff loss, and still has speed evidenced by the fact that the longest run of his career came last season, 64 yards. He’s still a #1 RB in this league. He also had 39 receptions for 395 yards.
He is, until he isn't. I think he is 28 now. His prime was a few years back.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I don't think its just about the salary.

RB by committee usually doens't have a dominant RB, so as a result its by Committee. if there is a #1 RB, and you pay him, then he needs to carry the load. My concern with Pollard is he has never been the lead back and carry the load. if he doesn't need to as some have argued, then why pay him 10M (which is average salary of top 5 RBs) and is he then a top 5 RB?

and people tend to approach this as fantasy football. "hey, we have Pollard and lets get Cook and we are twice as dangerous". that is if you had a fantasy football team and counting fantasy points. Facts are that both of them won't be on the field at the same time. perhaps in some plays or formations, but that's not going to be the regular formation. neither is a blocker. neither can lead into open holes. as we don't expect them to be. so this fantasy of both on the field is just that. a fantasy.

with that said, last year chicago had second highest number of rushing attempts per game at 32/gm. that includes the 160 attempts by Fields and mainly because they had no passing offense.
Cowboys averaged 31 attempts per game and a lot of that came at the end of several blow outs, when in closer games we averaged around 25. Zeke and Pollard averaged 24 carries per game.

so splitting 24 carries when it really counts between two RBs, one making 10M, and the other wanting about the same. makes no sense. plus, it won't make us twice as dangerous. they will be in there one at a time.

so the question is if we want Cook, then is he better than Pollard. if he is, then can we let pollard go and then sign Cook for about the same money. perhaps even trade Pollard for a low round pick (not sure if that's feasible).

Having Cook and Pollard doesn't make sense, unless we want to be deep at RB in case of injury, in which case you are paying a back up major money or you are paying major money to two part time RBs. neither makes sense.
Great post. My concern with our committee is we still have no short yardage back, no one who’s a sure contributor behind Pollard. Zeke was awful, but he was at the top of the NFL in short yardage, goal line, and pass protection. Those are key elements to lose unless someone or more than one back can step up in those categories.

rambo2

Reaction score
Great post. My concern with our committee is we still have no short yardage back, no one who’s a sure contributor behind Pollard. Zeke was awful, but he was at the top of the NFL in short yardage, goal line, and pass protection. Those are key elements to lose unless someone or more than one back can step up in those categories.
Luepke looks like a short yardage guy.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Luepke looks like a short yardage guy.
We need Vaughn and Luepke to hit which is not likely given their draft status if we are being honest with ourselves but it is certainly a possibility.

It makes complete sense to wait and see how TC goes and make sure we need a power back before we get desperate.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
perhaps Luepke can be that short yardage guy, has the size and little wiggle. Polalrd also has to do some of that.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
We need Vaughn and Luepke to hit which is not likely given their draft status if we are being honest with ourselves but it is certainly a possibility.

It makes complete sense to wait and see how TC goes and make sure we need a power back before we get desperate.
Mighty mouse, pollard and rojo don't have Zeke qualities to get the hardest yards in football. Maybe Luepke. He is def strong and tough but I need to see him run behind his pads and get lower before he can be the guy. IE Henry is much easier to stop in short yardage up the middle than when gets the steam engine cooking. I hate the I formation handoffs to the FB. They don't get enough time to get the steam up. The philly shove is way more effective. Hope Dallas uses it this season.

Last edited:

ghst187

Reaction score
I’d prefer to trade a mid round pick for Henry if possible as was the rumor a few months ago. But I don’t like the RB room at all after Pollard. The guy I like second best is Vaughn but who knows if he can even play at this level?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
They are supposedly waiting until training camp to decide whether to bring in someone like Cook.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
We do, though. It's Luepke. If they need a short-yardage guy, he'd be more useful than Zeke. They need to get him up to speed on pass-protection.