Damn earthquakes

Reef Engineer

Reaction score
Well, if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Was filling out an overnight mail request for a package that needs to go up to Sacramento by tomorrow and I had just completed the darn thing when we had a magnitude 5.2 earthquakes hit right around 3:30ish this afternoon causing the can of vanilla coke that was on my desk to topple over and land where? You got it -right on top of the damn package! :mad:

It should be interesting to hear what the HQ folks have to say about the soda stains on their copy of the document I sent up - ha ha.

Oh well, life goes on.

Duane

Reaction score
Reef Engineer said:
Well, if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Was filling out an overnight mail request for a package that needs to go up to Sacramento by tomorrow and I had just completed the darn thing when we had a magnitude 5.2 earthquakes hit right around 3:30ish this afternoon causing the can of vanilla coke that was on my desk to topple over and land where? You got it -right on top of the damn package! :mad:

It should be interesting to hear what the HQ folks have to say about the soda stains on their copy of the document I sent up - ha ha.

Oh well, life goes on.

Hate to hear that man. Still it's better than what I was initially thinking. I was afraid that you were going to say that the earthquake wrecked one of you're aquariums.

Reef Engineer

Reaction score
Duane said:
Hate to hear that man. Still it's better than what I was initially thinking. I was afraid that you were going to say that the earthquake wrecked one of you're aquariums.

Bite your tongue! :D

I haven't had that problem (knock on wood!) since the North Ridge Quake - now THAT was a nice one!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Reef Engineer said:

Oh well, life goes on.
So it wasn't just the headboard banging against the wall?

Reef Engineer

Reaction score
Hostile said:
So it wasn't just the headboard banging against the wall?

That happens at times too ... but then my wife comes into the room and asks me to keep it down. :D You think it's easy doing this alone? Sheeesh. ;)

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
At least it was only soda stains. ;) I've been through far worse than 5.2 earthquakes in my travels. Those suckers are scary as hell when they get above the seven range. I refuse to live on the west coast anymore. I'm American by birth and Southern by the grace of earthquakes. :p You Californians can shake, rattle and roll all you want but I'll stay where the land doesn't move. I've seen your aquarium pics, it would be a shame if Cali ever has a quake that wrecks it.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
At least it was only soda stains. ;) I've been through far worse than 5.2 earthquakes in my travels. Those suckers are scary as hell when they get above the seven range. I refuse to live on the west coast anymore. I'm American by birth and Southern by the grace of earthquakes. :p You Californians can shake, rattle and roll all you want but I'll stay where the land doesn't move. I've seen your aquarium pics, it would be a shame if Cali ever has a quake that wrecks it.

American by birth and Southern by the grace of God

Reef Engineer

Reaction score
Thanks for the kudos on the aquariums, folks - much obliged. Being from the east coast originally (NJ/GA), I can relate to how y'all feel about earthquakes ... they take some getting used to! This last one wasn't much more than a big truck rolling by - it doesn't faze me anymore. The Big Bear quake where I was doing a Texas Two-step to keep from falling was another matter altogether, though! That one cracked one of my aquariums and I lost several thousand dollars in livestock - not pretty!

I have all the tanks anchored down (hey, I'm a civil engineer, c'mon) and have a 6" clear zone around the tanks inside so that things don't fall against the glass walls. Acrylic would be much better as it is more flexible but it scratches sooooooooo easily that it wouldn't last me very long - ugh!

Anyway, all's quiet over here so I'll just go along my merry way ... waiting for the "big one." :eek:

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Oh my goodness!!

How can you live like that !!!

Such sacrifices(sp).

I mean...drinking a vanilla coke. :D

You da MAN!!!!

Oh...glad that your aquariums are OK.

BadMeetsEvil

Reaction score
The 5.2 was kinda felt up here in Los Angeles area but it wasn't all that bad. I never felt it, but someone in the house did and they said it was nothing more then a large truck driving by our house. We live two houses off a busy street.

I've been through some serious ones in my 20 years here in Southern Cali. It's worth it. I rather be in an Earthquake then be hit by a Tornado or be in a Hurricane.

The worse one I could remmeber was the Northridge one.. Believe that was between 7.2 and 7.6 can't rememeber exactly. Its rough out here.. but it's worth it.

Reef Engineer

Reaction score
The Northridge quake was "only" a magnitude 6.7 quake ... the one up in the Bay area in San Fran in '89 was the 7.1 biggee.