Damn... how many sacks did we have?

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
wayne motley;1758855 said:
The bottom line is Roy cannot cover Shockey man to man...that's a fact. Shockey is too good an athlete for Roy in coverage. We realized that and changed our coverage to give help or play zone.

Roy still had a good game...recognizing that he can't cover Shockey man to man is not an indictment any more than saying most safeties can't cover Witten alone. It is what it is...we were probably foolish to think he could in the first half, but we made that correction in the second half.

Perfectly summed up. You'd be hard pressed to find a SS who on an island with Jeremy Shockey would do anything more than Roy did. Roy had a very good game overall though.

hendog

Reaction score
Ozzu;1758876 said:
Perfectly summed up. You'd be hard pressed to find a SS who on an island with Jeremy Shockey would do anything more than Roy did. Roy had a very good game overall though.

Agreed.

silverblue

Reaction score
IMO roy was great on several run plays and above average in pass game. He is a safety after all, not a cornerback. After the coverage is already blown or at least not as good as it should be roy is there to make sure the receiver does not go very far after the catch. safety

jrumann59

Reaction score
I posted this else where, I think the staff felt better with Roy man up on JS with hamilin playing centerfield, I am willing to bet they told roy to keep shockey in front of him and just make the tackle.

SibannacRex

Reaction score
wayne motley;1758855 said:
The bottom line is Roy cannot cover Shockey man to man...that's a fact. Shockey is too good an athlete for Roy in coverage. We realized that and changed our coverage to give help or play zone.

Roy still had a good game...recognizing that he can't cover Shockey man to man is not an indictment any more than saying most safeties can't cover Witten alone. It is what it is...we were probably foolish to think he could in the first half, but we made that correction in the second half.

On Shockey's TD, Roy had solid coverage, but Eli made a perfect throw to the left shoulder and Shockey made a good catch. There was nothing that could be done there.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
SibannacRex;1759077 said:
On Shockey's TD, Roy had solid coverage, but Eli made a perfect throw to the left shoulder and Shockey made a good catch. There was nothing that could be done there.

I'm not sure that throw was intentional by Manning, but it worked out for them. I just don't think he's pinpoint accurate enough for that.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jrumann59;1759027 said:
I posted this else where, I think the staff felt better with Roy man up on JS with hamilin playing centerfield, I am willing to bet they told roy to keep shockey in front of him and just make the tackle.

:hammer: Hamlin is better in deep coverage, and giving help over the top, afterall, he's a FS

rexrobinson

Reaction score
I agree the addition of Tank will most likely allow our edge rushers even more sacks than the rate were currently at, today we looked ('06 San Deigo) aggressive on our rush and I think it was mainly due to the double team Tank was getting.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
About half as many as we actually had...

Wanna talk defense now?

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
77Cowboy;1758835 said:
Roy played excellent run defense and was in position for the Shockey TD, all Safties/CB's get beat.

Roy also put a good lick on Jacobs that drawed "ooohs" from the crowd.:cool: