Dan Bailey: Best Kicker in NFL History?

Proximo

Reaction score
You're right, except it was against the Packers and it was Reggie White who was complaining about the 7th FG.

The funny thing about that game was that the final score was 21-6, which is a totally normal football score except that the 21 came on FGs and the 6 came on a TD.

I stand corrected sir.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Vinatieri is the GOAT. It doesn't look like father time is getting to him yet like it has Phil Dawson. Vinatieri may kick for another few years...he can pretty much keep playing until his leg has nothing left.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bailey does his job well, but I think game winning kicks are what separates kickers.

Whoever has the most game winning kicks is the best IMO.

Anyone have that stat?
Well, that's entirely about opportunities, much more than talent.

As of 2015, the leaders in game-winning FGs in the 4th quarter or overtime were:
Morton Andersen: 35
Adam Vinatieri: 33
John Carney: 26
Jason Elam: 25

Bailey has 11 (he didn't have one last year and hasn't had one this year).

Note that these may include kicks that put the team ahead early in the 4th quarter, not just down at the end, which probably isn't what you're thinking of.

I take that back. In the TB game last year, he kicked 3 FGs in the 4th quarter, taking us from down 20-17 to up 26-20. Not sure if that counts as far as this list is concerned: the last FG wasn't the game-winner.

pancakeman

Reaction score
I stand corrected sir.

Here's probably why you misremembered the Eagles being peeved: after that season, the Eagles offered Boniol a four-year contract and stole him away. The next season, in a tight game, the Cowboys led by one point and gave the ball to the Eagles who marched it down the field in the last minute of the game. Chip-shot to win it, and the Eagles blew the kick. Eagles snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, Cowboys celebrate, Boniol never again shows the record-setting skills he had as a Cowboy and was cut halfway through that contract.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/09/16/sports/pro-football-eagles-let-upset-slip-through-fingers.html

:igglestrophy:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Well, that's entirely about opportunities, much more than talent.

It would be like saying the best quarterback is the one with the most fourth-quarter comebacks, which also is about opportunities (some of which could be created by the quarterback playing poorly).

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's probably why you misremembered the Eagles being peeved: after that season, the Eagles offered Boniol a four-year contract and stole him away. The next season, in a tight game, the Cowboys led by one point and gave the ball to the Eagles who marched it down the field in the last minute of the game. Chip-shot to win it, and the Eagles blew the kick. Eagles snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, Cowboys celebrate, Boniol never again shows the record-setting skills he had as a Cowboy and was cut halfway through that contract.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/09/16/sports/pro-football-eagles-let-upset-slip-through-fingers.html
The Eagles blew that kick on a fumbled snap: Boniol didn't blow it himself (I know you didn't say he did). But yeah, he was bad that year and got worse until he was out of the league.

haleyrules

Reaction score
**** kickers. Who cares..they could be ladies. Give me a defense!! The enemy can get all the pathetic 3 points they want.