Dan Henning's Contract up?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
THIS IS WHO WE NEED

Henning hired as Carolina's offensive coordinator
Posted: Thursday February 07, 2002 5:29 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Former NFL and college head coach Dan Henning was hired by the Carolina Panthers as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Thursday.

Henning was head coach of the San Diego Chargers and Boston College, and was the offensive coordinator for the Washington Commanders' Super Bowl champions in 1983 and '88.

He was offensive coordinator for the New York Jets from 1998-00 before leaving coaching last season after 25 years.

"Dan Henning is viewed as one of the best offensive coordinators in the NFL," new Panthers head coach John Fox said. "He has knowledge and experience and will be a great asset to our offense."

Henning comes to a Carolina team that ranked last in the league in offense and defense last season and set an NFL record by losing its last 15 games to finish 1-15.

The team's starting quarterback, Chris Weinke, won the Heisman Trophy in 2000, but he struggled as a rookie last season.

Henning has coached Joe Theismann, Bob Griese, Doug Williams and Vinny Testaverde.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Man, that is who I want to get.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
If he were available, I'd suspect he would be getting alot of interest for the HC vacancies? But, if for some reason he was an option - then bring him in ASAP.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Vertigo_17 said:
If he were available, I'd suspect he would be getting alot of interest for the HC vacancies? But, if for some reason he was an option - then bring him in ASAP.

He's had head coaching stints before, but wasn't too successful... I think he is one of those guys suited more for the OC job... and he is a darn good one!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nowhere in that article does it say his contract is up or is close to being up.

Nors why don't you find out the contract details? Like how long is he signed for?

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
If Payton Left, we could give him the Assistant head coach status to hire him away. If he were our OC, I would be much more excited about our offense next year. Parcells was going to hire him for OC if he took the Tampa job.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
He's a darkhorse candidate for the Jets job. But most people aren't looking to hire 63 year old offensive coordinators to head coaching positions.

I think he'll either stick with Carolina or retire.

.. and if you thought Parcells was conservative in his playcalling.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/danhenning

Strong

Reaction score
Roshi is right on the mark.
When he was at my alma mater (Boston College), this guy was the stereotypical run-run-pass-punt guy. He had a few nice wins (esp. Notre Dame), but his overall record was 16-19-1 with a very conservative game plan.
He is not an improvement.
Strong.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

Nors why don't you find out the contract details? Like how long is he signed for?
Yeah, I don't see evidence his contract is up.

I'd still bet money that if we lose either Coordinator we will fill from within. I just don't believe Parcells is looking at other OCs and DCs like we here are.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

Thread title was "Dan Henning's contract up?

If someone has the details its appreciated. I have not seen the details of his contract.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Whether he's good or not, he's a longtime Parcells Guy and one of Parcells better friends. If he were available and Payton took another job, I'm sure he'd easily be the Tuna's #1 target for OC.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Yeah, I don't see evidence his contract is up.
I'd still bet money that if we lose either Coordinator we will fill from within. I just don't believe Parcells is looking at other OCs and DCs like we here are.

I posted it clearly as a ?

Todd Bowles or nobody else on our staff has any right being OC. NONE

Don't really see anything on other side of ball but Coach P and thats nothing inspiring candidly.

Parcells is looking externally for sure - or we are in big trouble.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
I posted it clearly as a ?

Todd Bowles or nobody else on our staff has any right being OC. NONE

Don't really see anything on other side of ball but Coach P and thats nothing inspiring candidly.

Parcells is looking externally for sure - or we are in big trouble.
Bowles is a Defensive Backs Coach. Why would he become OC?

Did you mean Todd Haley?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors said:
Thread title was "Dan Henning's contract up?

If someone has the details its appreciated. I have not seen the details of his contract.
Thread title wasn't intuitive to me. Call me clueless. But I was expecting you to have a CURRENT article or something stating he's part of the coaching carousel. Not something from 2002.

I'm not knocking u or anything, but the question mark isn't enuff. The body of the post should prolly reflect what you mean as well. I don't think an old article does. JMO.

That said. I don't think Hennings going anywhere.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Thread title wasn't intuitive to me. Call me clueless. But I was expecting you to have a CURRENT article or something stating he's part of the coaching carousel. Not something from 2002.

I'm not knocking u or anything, but the question mark isn't enuff. The body of the post should prolly reflect what you mean as well. I don't think an old article does. JMO.

That said. I don't think Hennings going anywhere.
When the first thing you read is an all caps announcement that "this is who we need" you tend to think the ? has little to do with the intent of the thread.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
FWIW, Henning has stated in the past that while he's friends with Parcells, he doesn't want to work for him again. I believe he was casually approached back when Parcells first came to the Cowboys.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Kittymama said:
FWIW, Henning has stated in the past that while he's friends with Parcells, he doesn't want to work for him again. I believe he was casually approached back when Parcells first came to the Cowboys.
Good info, thanks.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Most coordinators work on short contracts -- but they aren't moving around much. Why would Henning leave a good situation in Carolina for the same position in Dallas? Just because he and BP are friends?

Tell me, would you uproot yourself, start a new job, etc. just to work with a friend for a couple of years?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Most coordinators work on short contracts -- but they aren't moving around much. Why would Henning leave a good situation in Carolina for the same position in Dallas? Just because he and BP are friends?

Tell me, would you uproot yourself, start a new job, etc. just to work with a friend for a couple of years?
It depends.

:money: talks.