Dan Quinn = Barry Switzer

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Gus Bradley built that Seattle defense. He did such a good job, he got the Jaguars HC job in 2013. The year Quinn took over a stockpile of young talent on defense that was so deep and talented. They had so much talent up front, they could constantly rotate guys all game to stay fresh and get after the QB.

Switzer took over an extremely talented team in place and had zero work to do. Just keep the car on the road with the cruise control on. And he did just that. Won a ring. So did Quinn.

When Quinn went to Atlanta, his defenses were trash. And yes, he had a big part of those defenses. It was the same as when Garrett was the HC but he was still responsible for the offense. The gameplan and playcalling. Quinn was in charge of those defenses that were really bad. Quinn is also responsible for turning the Falcons into a running meme of how many historic leads they have blown. The Super Bowl is obviously the biggest but they have so many more. Cowboys fans here will be well aware of one of them this season.

I don't think one person on our defense this year could even start for his Seattle defense and many probably could not even make the 2 deep.

Spare me he was the DC at Seattle 7 years ago. Marinelli was apart of great defenses and got a ring. And we saw how he worked out.

Another recycled, retread head coach hire.

I think it's fair to say that Quinn benefited from what Bradley built and the fact that he was defensive coordinator under a defensive-minded head coach. So I think it's important to look at his time in Atlanta ... and we have to look at all of it.

When Quinn took over as Atlanta's coach, the Falcons had the 14th-ranked scoring defense the previous year. They gave up 5,562 total yards (5.6 net per pass attempt), including 3,882 passing (6.7 per play) and 1,680 rushing (4.0 avg.). They also forced 23 total turnovers.

In 2016, Quinn's team went to the Super Bowl, but was 27th in points against. Its yards per play was the same 5.6, but it gave up more yards passing (less per attempt) and a higher rushing average (4.5). The defense also forced the same amount of turnovers. However, in its favor, it only gave up 20 points in its first playoff game (forcing two turnovers and 21 points in the NFC Championship Game (forcing another two turnovers). It also forced two turnovers in the Super Bowl against New England, but gave up 34 points.

The next season, however, Quinn's defense was eighth in points allowed. It dropped total yards to 5,094 (5.1 per play), which means the passing yards and rushing yards also were lower (5.8 per attempt, though, and 4.1 avg. per rush, both higher than when he took over). Turnovers dropped to 16. However, in the playoffs, they held both opponents to 15 or fewer points.

We know how the last two seasons went, but frankly, if we could have had what Quinn's defense did in the playoffs his first two years, there are years where we would have definitely had more success than we've had.

Discounting his time in Seattle, I'm mixed on him based on his time in Atlanta. His defense in 2017 in particular was quite good and that's without being able to credit either Bradley or Carroll for it. Why he had such a good defense that year, had a pretty good defense in the playoffs in 2016, but was pretty awful after that would be hard to say without closer examinations of his team. I just hope that we can find whatever formula came together in 2017. Obviously, I'd prefer the kind of defensive success that he had in Seattle, but it's not likely we'll see that duplicated by Quinn, especially since it wasn't all him.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
He hasn’t coached one snap with us, lets see what he can do

its not possible for the defense to be worse than it was this year unless we only play with 5 dudes and 6 Rottweilers
Dan Quinn be like...hold my beer...lmao!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Gus Bradley built that Seattle defense. He did such a good job, he got the Jaguars HC job in 2013. The year Quinn took over a stockpile of young talent on defense that was so deep and talented. They had so much talent up front, they could constantly rotate guys all game to stay fresh and get after the QB.

Switzer took over an extremely talented team in place and had zero work to do. Just keep the car on the road with the cruise control on. And he did just that. Won a ring. So did Quinn.

When Quinn went to Atlanta, his defenses were trash. And yes, he had a big part of those defenses. It was the same as when Garrett was the HC but he was still responsible for the offense. The gameplan and playcalling. Quinn was in charge of those defenses that were really bad. Quinn is also responsible for turning the Falcons into a running meme of how many historic leads they have blown. The Super Bowl is obviously the biggest but they have so many more. Cowboys fans here will be well aware of one of them this season.

I don't think one person on our defense this year could even start for his Seattle defense and many probably could not even make the 2 deep.

Spare me he was the DC at Seattle 7 years ago. Marinelli was apart of great defenses and got a ring. And we saw how he worked out.

You have no clue what you’re talking about. You act like your some kind of defensive coach savant. You’re either trolling or on a break from your Madden game.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wrong analogy. Switzer was one of the winnigest coaches and still a top winner record wise . Switzer had to take over a very tale red cowboys team and contend with Jerry’s interference and manage players egos , but still won a super bowl .

Quinn has to also be given a chance , but his big collapses in the super bowl is an alarming anecdote.
Switzer won the SB because the Packers upset the Niners in the playoffs that year.
The team was pretty much coach-less under Switzer's reign....

Last edited:

basel90

Reaction score
Switzer won the SB because the Packers upset the Niners in the playoffs that year.
The team was pretty much coach-less under Switzer's reign....
Not true , these super stars had egos and issues , and needed a players coach , which Switzer provided with humility . Switzer best the niners at their home during the regular season as well .
at that era Switzer was in semi retirement and faced a lot of scrutiny although he was trying his best . And yes he made mistakes . But remember also Jerry was not going to let him pick or acquire talent as Jerry was in full hands on mode by then .

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I don't know why you have to attack my age but your attack of my age makes your incredible argument even less credible.
1. Moose and Irvin was injured after Barry Switzer left. 98 for Moose and 99 for Irvin.
2. I didn't hold Switzer responsible for father time, so I'm not sure where you came up with that. Your argument is faulty at best. You're saying that age and retirement ravaged the team. Well they won in '95, 96 they lost to an 2nd year expansion team in the divisional round of the playoffs. 97 the team quit on Switzer and they didn't make the playoffs. There was not a lot of turnover from that '96 team to the 97 team. The only 2 starters I can think of that left were Larry Brown and Russell Maryland. They left after the '95 season. You already spent much time discussing how Larry Brown was a non factor and Russell was an above average starter. In this time period Larry Allen was coming into his own and they still had Nate Newton, Big E, Tooey, Emmitt Smith, Moose, Irvin, Williams, and of coarse Aikman. Not a lot of turnover from that '96 team. You're not going to convince me that Jay Novacek was the key cog in our offense. Also Kevin Smith was healthy, prime Darren Woodson, Deion Sanders in his prime. That's a pretty talented defense to go along with that offense. So for anyone counting you got Aikman, Irvin, Allen, Deion, Emmitt. 5 HOFers in the prime of their careers. Darren Woodson, HOF candidate, Tolbert, K. Smith, Lett, all above average starters. How did Switzer do a good job in '96 and '97 with this talent? Oh right, they were all injured, sorry my dementia from old age is kicking in. Well doesn't a good coach figure out ways to coach up the rest of the team that isn't injured. So every HOFer from that team was injured at the exact same time. If you have one or two HOfer's on your team, even if they're a little nicked up you have a good squad. Especially if one of those is a first ballot HOFer at QB. Those are pretty rare. Switzer had 5 and Woodson will make it 6 when he is inducted. 6 HOFer's on one team.
3. Not to quote Mickey Spags but if Switzer was such a great coach why didn't anyone try to sign him when Jerry fired him? Why hasn't any team tried to talk him out of retirement? Other great coaches were talked out of retirement, such as Parcells, Gibbs, Vermeil, Gruden, etc. If he's so great why is he available?

I have nothing against Switzer as a person but he was not a good NFL coach. He inherited a porsche from Jimmy Johnson and he didn't do any upkeep on the porsche and that porsche turned into a rusty old car that quit on the side of the road. Good coaches don't let that happen in a span of 2 seasons. Good guy but not a great coach.
I think the White House had as much, or more, to do with the dynasty crumbling as Switzer's coaching. Guys were partying super hard and no matter how strong your work ethic (Irvin) that will catch up to you.

blueblood70

Reaction score
first
ok....ok...everything's going to be ok...take a breath.....go get a beer.....things will be ok

off way way to old a post that was over 2 weeks ago and since went and hit the slopes on vacation did a lot of great snowboarding and came back relaxed until i open this page and realize there are some truly horrible fans around here that do nothing but complain and cry , badmouth their own team and compliment others..

thats about right i guess for the majority of what America has turned into, so no surprise the fan base comes from that majority.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not true , these super stars had egos and issues , and needed a players coach , which Switzer provided with humility . Switzer best the niners at their home during the regular season as well .
at that era Switzer was in semi retirement and faced a lot of scrutiny although he was trying his best . And yes he made mistakes . But remember also Jerry was not going to let him pick or acquire talent as Jerry was in full hands on mode by then .

WRONG....we played and got beat in Dallas during the regular season vs the Niners in 95.

11 November 12, 1995 San Francisco 49ers L 20–38 8–2 Texas Stadium Recap

basel90

Reaction score

jrumann59

Reaction score
Wait i see a lot of Kris Richard should have stayed Fat Mike should have been told to look at X. I thought Fat Mike was supposed to pick his own staff or are we going a different direction yet again. The re-tread thinking is only for for coaches that are perceived to suck or actually suck, Nolan, Quinn, Ryan brothers etc. But if you are good old DC you are not a re-tread until you show that times have passed you by, Marinelli, Wade, Kiffin. But if you perceived to be good and everyone likes you guys like Richard who have been in the league a while are not Re-treads or if you are considered a DC god like Capers.

erod

Reaction score

No real coach wants to coach here. Only has-beens and never-dones.

ESisback

Reaction score

Okay, so we’re doomed! Now what? Watch movies? Go fishing? Why continue here? Life is short.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'll be keeping my expectations of Dan Quinn at arm's length in his first year here as our DC. Considering the awful lack of talent throughout that defensive group, expecting a major extent of improvement would be plain silly. I think they'll improve but only incrementally in year one. The lone fact that he'll be running a simpler defense to grasp should help. Let's just hope it's not so simple, though, that opposing offenses might eventually have field day. o_O

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score

he was the best available DC.

it’s a solid hire.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dallas is a country club.. What do you expect?

The recycling of coaches in the NFL is disgusting.. They hate letting outsiders in.

Reboot them, renew them
Reshoot them, redo them
And reuse them, retool them
Abuse them, just do them
If you wanna make some easy cash, just recycle and rehash the coaches

*Puts on a typical coach costume*

Repeat them, rеinstate them
Reheat the coaches, rеcreate the old ideas
There's no need to feel frustrated with new coaches
Simply just regurgitate the old coaches

For a guaranteed ratings smash among the players
Dig coaches up out of the trash
Come on
Just reboot them

JayFord

Reaction score
You know Mike Pettine is currently available and if we were still looking for a DC i would take him in a heartbeat

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Switzer won a Super Bowl...