Dan Quinn next year?

Cydios

Reaction score
Yeah I know focus on this year, I'm watching Monday night countdown, and they say there's going to be a record of head coaching spots open. Do you think Quinns leaving? I'm sure the paychecks will be fat with the high demand. What should Jerry do?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I would think he knows better to take his second and likely final shot at HC in Carolina, Vegas or Washington.

The Chargers could make sense. Who else?

Is BB quitting? Maybe McVay quits. Neither are ideal.

Who am I missing? Clearly he doesn’t want a HC just to have it, it has to be a good situation, or he would have been gone already.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah I know focus on this year, I'm watching Monday night countdown, and they say there's going to be a record of head coaching spots open. Do you think Quinns leaving? I'm sure the paychecks will be fat with the high demand. What should Jerry do?
He's had opportunities to leave the last couple of years and hasn't done it. I think he's enjoying just being a defensive coordinator, but maybe the right spot will be open that he isn't able to resist. Or maybe he's just realized that he can be great as a coordinator while not having to deal with the headaches of being a head coach.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
I think he clearly has interest or he wouldn’t take so many interviews but he probably realizes it should be a good situation because he has it pretty good in Dallas right now. I think an opportunity like the Chargers is pretty ideal is Staley gets the sack and that could tempt him to move on if he were able to get that opportunity there. Plus, those guys have a long leash… look at Staley. Of course, they might be more interested in an offensive HC and then, look no further then the illustrious Kellen Moore.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We go through this every year with Dan Quinn. He’s had head coaching opportunities and has passed them up. Seems he likes being the DC here.

Big_D

Reaction score
He’s in an awesome situation with a record setting defense and certainly a legit shot at a championship. I don’t think the draw to go coach a project and try to rebuild a terrible team to respectability is as big as some think.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think this is the year........but I doubt he will consider any offer w/o a franchise QB in place. As mentioned, the Chargers would be perfect.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Dunno, he's turned down HC offers already.

Maybe he's done a full Wade Phillips and realizes his best destiny is to be a great DC and not HC.

It'll still be tempting. He'll get offers again.

nobody

Reaction score
Dunno, he's turned down HC offers already.

Maybe he's done a full Wade Phillips and realizes his best destiny is to be a great DC and not HC.

It'll still be tempting. He'll get offers again.
But has he turned down HC offers from teams with a good franchise QB in place? That makes a huge difference because maybe he's waiting for that situation. In any case, Jerry should do everything he can to keep Quinn happy in Dallas.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
But has he turned down HC offers from teams with a good franchise QB in place? That makes a huge difference because maybe he's waiting for that situation. In any case, Jerry should do everything he can to keep Quinn happy in Dallas.
That's the multi million dollar question.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eventually he will get an offer he can't refuse.

When he does, in order to keep him you have to make him the head coach but in doing that you still lose him as the defensive coordinator. He would now be the head coach and he wasn't in any way better in that position than the guy we have now.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I would think he knows better to take his second and likely final shot at HC in Carolina, Vegas or Washington.

The Chargers could make sense. Who else?

Is BB quitting? Maybe McVay quits. Neither are ideal.

Who am I missing? Clearly he doesn’t want a HC just to have it, it has to be a good situation, or he would have been gone already.
The Chargers unit him with KM that might work better

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I think he clearly has interest or he wouldn’t take so many interviews but he probably realizes it should be a good situation because he has it pretty good in Dallas right now. I think an opportunity like the Chargers is pretty ideal is Staley gets the sack and that could tempt him to move on if he were able to get that opportunity there. Plus, those guys have a long leash… look at Staley. Of course, they might be more interested in an offensive HC and then, look no further then the illustrious Kellen Moore.
I think he takes the interviews because with each one, Jerry is gonna have to cough up a little more to keep him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Of course, they might be more interested in an offensive HC and then, look no further then the illustrious Kellen Moore.
Nah...I can see Quinn as HC and either Moore or Reich as his OC. In fact, I think worked assistant for the Chargers before taking an OC job with the Eagles.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
While I think he likes his job in Dallas and would prefer it to being an HC anywhere, money will play into the equation at some point. The Cowboys, compared to many other teams in the league, don't pay top dollar to their coaches. That may be because some of the highest-paid coaches have significantly more responsibilities (personnel, etc.). Does Quinn want those headaches? An extra $5MM/year can make a man take on a load, though I don't think Quinn is hurting for money (never count another man's money, though). I hope he stays, that's for sure.