Dan Wilkerson

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
Released by the Lions...
Dose anyone think he may have some value as a break man for Fergie???

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
I know hes 33 er 34ish but I think he still has some value left and could start some games if need be. 3 sacks last season and hes never had any injury related problems.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
leonargized said:
Released by the Lions...
I don't. Strictly a 4-3 guy in a 1 gap system.

jman

Reaction score
leonargized said:
Released by the Lions...

Never know about these guys that even a bad Detriot Lions team doesn't want any longer.

I know the coaching changes may have something to do with it, but you would think the guy would provide some vetern leadership in the locker room.

From NFL.com

Lions release DT Wilkinson, re-sign LB Davis [URL="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/sponsorships.nfl.com/fs/stories;arena=nfl;feat=stories;type=psa;team=DET;user=Named;ct=GBR;age=A;cust=no;vip=no;sz=150x30;tile=5;ord=621151148332140?"]http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/sponsorships.nfl.com/fs/stories;arena=nfl;feat=stories;type=psa;team=DET;user=Named;ct=GBR;age=A;cust=no;vip=no;sz=150x30;tile=5;ord=621151148332140?[/URL]

NFL.com wire reports
ALLEN PARK, Mich. (May 22, 2006) -- The Detroit Lions released defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson, and re-signed linebacker James Davis to a one-year contract.

Wilkinson, the No. 1 pick overall in the 1994 draft, spent the last three seasons in Detroit after five with the Washington Commanders. He spent his first four seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals.

The 6-foot-4, 353-pound Wilkinson did a solid job of occupying offensive linemen, freeing up teammates to make tackles, after being more of a pass-rushing threat earlier in his career. He has 455 career tackles and 54 sacks in 185 career games, including 48 straight starts with the Lions.

Davis played in all 16 of Detroit's games last season, and finished third on the team with 79 tackles and recovered a fumble. The Lions drafted him in the fifth round in 2003.

...He does sould like a solid guy though.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
THUMPER said:
No thanks. Fat Daddy never lived up to his hype.

True, but he has become a good fat guy like Ted Washington, who also was never the big time tackle the 49ers thought he would be either.

I would take a chance on him if the money is right. I like Stanley, but two experienced nose tackles is a huge luxury.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Alexander said:
True, but he has become a good fat guy like Ted Washington, who also was never the big time tackle the 49ers thought he would be either.

I would take a chance on him if the money is right. I like Stanley, but two experienced nose tackles is a huge luxury.

I agree, i think at his size he would be actually more effective in a 3-4 than a 4-3. Meaning, he would be more valuable as a plug than a pass rush threat. But, if he is brought in it will be bye bye to either johnson or ratliff and im not sure if i would like that

gbrittain

Reaction score
Dan W was the #1 overall pick in the draft in 1994. A change of scenery is all this guy needs to live up to his potential. Pick him up NOW!

Somebody will take me serious...tick tock.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
At his size, Parcells wouldn't give him a second glance. Its important that a guy fits what your coach is looking for.

Mansta54

Reaction score
leonargized said:
Released by the Lions...

Nope!!!!! He's fat and lazy... No Thanks!!!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
leonargized said:
Released by the Lions...

nope...old, always fat and out of shape...doesnt fit the scheme

David

Henson Domination

Reaction score
"DT Dan Wilkinson's retirement decision appears to hinge on the 13-year veteran's reluctance to go through an intensely physical training camp. Coach Rod Marinelli has made it clear he won't allow any shortcuts, but the Lions have to be realistic about the situation. If Wilkinson "retires" in July or August but wants to play in September, the Lions would be foolish to turn their backs. Though the team is building a defense based on speed and movement, there will be situations in which opponenets pound the ball at the middle of the line. The Lions will want Wilkinson on the line during those times."

May 26, 2006 SportingNews magazine

I'd pass on him... as I'm sure BP would too.

ghst187

Reaction score
people forget that while we may have money to sign more veterans...we are running short on roster spots...
there are several youngsters too that are too good to try to hide on a PS and some that played a little too much to put on the PS...young guys like Pepper Johnson either make the roster or someone else will pick him up.
At a lot of positions we have young guys and can't hide them away, we just have to accept what we have and count on them elevating their play.
Let's also not forget that while we have lots of money left...that money will be gone to sign rookies and re-sign Witten, James, and Williams.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
leonargized said:
Released by the Lions...
If he still had any value, he wouldn't be getting cut on May 22nd.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I really believe we should pass on him for one big reason, he will take min away from our young developing big lineman.

Reaction score
One word NO!!! The Cowboys already have a 30+ nose tackle by the name of Ferguson.....whom by the way did close to nothing last year. :rolleyes:

Eddie

Reaction score
Is it so bad in Cowboyland that we have to regurgitate scraps and throw aways from other teams?

This reminds me of all the FS threads. Any FS dropped from another team was a potential Cowboy target.

Now we're looking at scraps from the Lions???

Where's your pride???

How about we set a new rule? No more FA's who are over 30.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
leonargized said:
Released by the Lions...

no, he is older, over the hill and on the down side of his career. he has been a marginal player at best all his career and he has never played the NT position. plus we just drafted stanley and had johnson on the roster. why bring in another NT who is not the answer, will not be here in the long run and is a questionable talent at this point in his career and cost too much.

I vote no.