Video: Dane Brugler on 24 Draft Class Depth and Cowboys 1st Round Focus

J12B

Reaction score
Recap please
-Dane thinks the Cowboys will for sure draft a Tackle, Center, RB and LB, it just depends on who is available to them that will determine the order.

-Guyton was mentioned as 24 possibility. Has all the talent, but may have consistency problems early on. Barton, Powers Johnson, and Frazier were mentioned as the top 3 Centers of this class, but Dallas could go Center in 4th or 5th round like they did with Biadasz. Penn State Center, Bortoloni and another Center were named as possible late picks at Center.

-Dane would consider it shocking if Dallas picked a QB like Nix or Pennix at 24. Sees them as QBs who will be top 15 at best. Dane believes the Cowboys have to build around Dak this year and if they have to find a QB next draft, then so be it.

-Jonathan Brooks is Dane's only RB in the top 50. Cowboy's Doctor performed the ACL surgery so they'll have best knowledge on his injury situation. Could be the pick at 56 if he falls to them there.

-Payton Wilson also mentioned as a possible pick at 56, but there are some concerns with his medical (double digit surgeries already).

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Dane thinks the centers are deep in this draft. You have to take one of the tackles early if you want one. Barton has never played center and JPJ has injury issues. The West Virginia is not a first round pick talent wise but has a strong floor.

Carson

Reaction score
Dane thinks the centers are deep in this draft. You have to take one of the tackles early if you want one. Barton has never played center and JPJ has injury issues. The West Virginia is not a first round pick talent wise but has a strong floor.
Barton had five starts at center his freshman season

Daillest88

Reaction score
-Dane thinks the Cowboys will for sure draft a Tackle, Center, RB and LB, it just depends on who is available to them that will determine the order.

-Guyton was mentioned as 24 possibility. Has all the talent, but may have consistency problems early on. Barton, Powers Johnson, and Frazier were mentioned as the top 3 Centers of this class, but Dallas could go Center in 4th or 5th round like they did with Biadasz. Penn State Center, Bortoloni and another Center were named as possible late picks at Center.

-Dane would consider it shocking if Dallas picked a QB like Nix or Pennix at 24. Sees them as QBs who will be top 15 at best. Dane believes the Cowboys have to build around Dak this year and if they have to find a QB next draft, then so be it.

-Jonathan Brooks is Dane's only RB in the top 50. Cowboy's Doctor performed the ACL surgery so they'll have best knowledge on his injury situation. Could be the pick at 56 if he falls to them there.

-Payton Wilson also mentioned as a possible pick at 56, but there are some concerns with his medical (double digit surgeries already).
Thanks boss

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Barton played Center as a freshman.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Barton had five starts at center his freshman season
Barton is my favorite lineman in this draft but he is a risk at center. 5 games his freshman year is nothing. Who knows if he can snap a pro ball. To me he would be a an All-Pro guard with the ability to any position. Sadly he is not getting past the Steelers, Seattle, Cincinnati and the other late middle teams in the draft. JPJ will only make it to us because of his injury concerns.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Come on bro 5 games? He is my favorite lineman in the draft but I see him as an All-Pro guard. He won’t make it to us sadly.
I agree won’t make it to us, but majority are projecting him as a center

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I agree won’t make it to us, but majority are projecting him as a center
Yeah, I see the projections. Similar to Guyton and Mims at LT. I saw that JPJ only started a year a center. Barton in between Tyler and Martin is scary good.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah, I see the projections. Similar to Guyton and Mims at LT. I saw that JPJ only started a year a center. Barton in between Tyler and Martin is scary good.
Any of the top three centers are huge upgrades of Biaz at the position

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I just don't think LB is a priority after signing Hendricks, but that depends on our use of Parsons. If he's a linebacker other than when we go to the nickel, then we've essentially got Clark and Overshown fighting for a starting spot. I would be surprised if our two linebackers on clear passing downs don't include Bell, probably him and Overshown. I just think with that group, yes, we need to add some depth, but we've got other spots where we absolutely need a better starter.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Any of the top three centers are huge upgrades of Biaz at the position.
Right. And if we take one after those three are gone, we better hope that he turns out to be at least as good as Biadasz. Too many fans place too much hope in later-round picks, like they are sure things.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
-Payton Wilson also mentioned as a possible pick at 56, but there are some concerns with his medical (double digit surgeries already
I did not know this.....no way you take him at 24 as some have suggested.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Any of the top three centers are huge upgrades of Biaz at the position
If the draft falls in such a way that it is better for us to take a different position in the first and second rounds, then I feel we have to take a center in the third. I feel like that next tier, Bortollini, Limmer and Nourzad have a good chance of being gone before our fifth-round pick, and there appears to be a good chance that they will at least be on Biadasz's level. Of course, you never know. The longer you wait, the worse your chances get, and we haven't been particularly good at selecting OL from the third round on (and you could argue that the second round should be included in that).

2004 T Jacob Rogers (2nd), G Stephen Peterman (3rd)
2005 T Rob Petitti (6th)
2006 T Pat McQuistan (7th), C E.J. Whitley (7th)
2007 T James Marten (3rd), T Doug Free (4th)
2009 T Robert Brewster (3rd)
2010 T Sam Young (3rd)
2011 T David Arkin (4th), T Bill Nagy (7th)
2015 T Chaz Green (3rd), T Laurence Gibson (7th)
2018 T Connor Williams (2nd)
2019 G Connor McGovern (3rd)
2020 C Tyler Biadasz (4th)
2021 T Josh Ball (4th), G Matt Farniok (7th)
2022 T Matt Waletzko (5th)
2023 T Asim Richards (4th)

That's 20 years with four successes out of 19 picks (21.5%) from the second-seventh rounds, although it's too early to say on Richards. I'd say the good news is that we had a decent streak from 2018-20, but our most recent streak isn't too promising.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If the draft falls in such a way that it is better for us to take a different position in the first and second rounds, then I feel we have to take a center in the third. I feel like that next tier, Bortollini, Limmer and Nourzad have a good chance of being gone before our fifth-round pick, and there appears to be a good chance that they will at least be on Biadasz's level. Of course, you never know. The longer you wait, the worse your chances get, and we haven't been particularly good at selecting OL from the third round on (and you could argue that the second round should be included in that).

2004 T Jacob Rogers (2nd), G Stephen Peterman (3rd)
2005 T Rob Petitti (6th)
2006 T Pat McQuistan (7th), C E.J. Whitley (7th)
2007 T James Marten (3rd), T Doug Free (4th)
2009 T Robert Brewster (3rd)
2010 T Sam Young (3rd)
2011 T David Arkin (4th), T Bill Nagy (7th)
2015 T Chaz Green (3rd), T Laurence Gibson (7th)
2018 T Connor Williams (2nd)
2019 G Connor McGovern (3rd)
2020 C Tyler Biadasz (4th)
2021 T Josh Ball (4th), G Matt Farniok (7th)
2022 T Matt Waletzko (5th)
2023 T Asim Richards (4th)

That's 20 years with four successes out of 19 picks (21.5%) from the second-seventh rounds, although it's too early to say on Richards. I'd say the good news is that we had a decent streak from 2018-20, but our most recent streak isn't too promising.
I agree, we are going to have to find our center before day 3. Top 3 and Van Pran

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Right. And if we take one after those three are gone, we better hope that he turns out to be at least as good as Biadasz. Too many fans place too much hope in later-round picks, like they are sure things.
I think you HAVE to come out of this draft with a starting offensive lineman and running back with depth at both linebacker and defensive tackle.