Dane Brugler updated Mock Draft

Kaiser

Reaction score
Dane Brugler posted an updated mock, interesting stuff for the "Trade Down from Three" (four now) guys like me and @817Gill.

He assumes CB is the biggest need and the #1 pick, like I do. He has Dallas 4th and just taking Caleb Farley with the 4th pick instead of trading down. He has Surtain going 5th to the Chargers.

For the QBs he has them at 1 with Lawrence (obviously) but Zach Wilson at 2, Field at 6 and Trey Lance at 8. Not hard to see a scenario where teams have different grades on all four and teams trade into the top four to get them - which I would love to see. We could add an extra high #2 trading down from 4 to 8 or 10. There will be some excellent safety prospects in the 2nd round and we already have 9 picks already (including two 3's and two 4's) to use in trades to move up. Six picks in rounds 2 - 4 would bring a lot of talent to training camp.

Another interesting note is he has Clemson CB Derion Kendrick going 12th, a spot we could trade down to. He lists Kendrick as "one of the best athletes in the class" and a guy similar to Diggs with a ton of talent who recently moved to CB from WR and who should improve dramatically with reps and coaching.

817Gill

Reaction score
Dane Brugler posted an updated mock, interesting stuff for the "Trade Down from Three" (four now) guys like me and @817Gill.

He assumes CB is the biggest need and the #1 pick, like I do. He has Dallas 4th and just taking Caleb Farley with the 4th pick instead of trading down. He has Surtain going 5th to the Chargers.

For the QBs he has them at 1 with Lawrence (obviously) but Zach Wilson at 2, Field at 6 and Trey Lance at 8. Not hard to see a scenario where teams have different grades on all four and teams trade into the top four to get them - which I would love to see. We could add an extra high #2 trading down from 4 to 8 or 10. There will be some excellent safety prospects in the 2nd round and we already have 9 picks already (including two 3's and two 4's) to use in trades to move up. Six picks in rounds 2 - 4 would bring a lot of talent to training camp.

Another interesting note is he has Clemson CB Derion Kendrick going 12th, a spot we could trade down to. He lists Kendrick as "one of the best athletes in the class" and a guy similar to Diggs with a ton of talent who recently moved to CB from WR and who should improve dramatically with reps and coaching.
I would be OK with staying and taking Farley or Surtain but boy would it be much sweeter to have them at 8-12 with an additional 2 this year and maybe a 1 next year as well.

Side note: I like Jaycee Horn ALOT. Trading down into the teens also gives us viable CB1 picks. There’s a solid group of DB’s this year and that includes S. The Cowboys should want to live in round 2 this year.

timb2

Reaction score
What happens if QB Mac Jones wins the Heismann or the National Title at Alabama? Do you think he hangs around when both Bama WRs,Starting LT,Og,and Center,and starting RB leave because they are Seniors?

Kaiser

Reaction score
I would be OK with staying and taking Farley or Surtain but boy would it be much sweeter to have them at 8-12 with an additional 2 this year and maybe a 1 next year as well..

I love Brugler but I think he is doing what draft guys always do and putting the picks down just by talent. Usually the QBs are always picked higher, at this point in 2015 the draft guys were thinking Carson Wentz would go late in the first and he ended up second overall (ha!). If you bunch those guys up and then guys like Sewell and Ja'Marr Chase go high, you could have your pick of the CBs if you trade down to 8 or so.

I also love the idea of two #2's and then trading two #3s to get a third second rounder. Getting four guys out of the top 50 would be pretty sweet when you look at our recent non-Taco track record.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Side note: I like Jaycee Horn ALOT. Trading down into the teens also gives us viable CB1 picks. There’s a solid group of DB’s this year and that includes S. The Cowboys should want to live in round 2 this year.

In this mock Brugler has Horn going at 16.

Xavier187

Reaction score
Surtain Horn or Farley
And draft another CB in the 2nd round
Named
Rodarius Williams Oklahoma state

We get them 2 CBS with Diggs
We should be set for awhile
We can bring back Awuzie as a S and add in Fa like Xavier Rhodes maybe.
And the secondary is set.
I believe Wilson and Reggie Robinson II would be excellent at S add in Awuzie and ur set there.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Kendrick and Horn are two of the biggest risers so far this year.
Derion Kendrick is a beast, maybe the most naturally gifted of all the corners. He's a former QB and WR, so his hands and recognition of offense is better than most corners. I think he has the highest upside of all the corners. I am really not trying to homer out on him, lol, but he's that good.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Interesting.. I wasn’t sold on Fields as the #2 QB. Glad to see Brugler have a similar opinion on how teams may go.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Derion Kendrick is a beast, maybe the most naturally gifted of all the corners. He's a former QB and WR, so his hands and recognition of offense is better than most corners. I think he has the highest upside of all the corners. I am really not trying to homer out on him, lol, but he's that good.
Agreed.

I wrote my final project on football players who converted from another sport (basketball Power Forwards to American football Tight Ends, Rugby athletes to Running Back, etc) which is called "Sport Transfer." I also discussed the recent trend of what I dubbed "Position Transfer," and where we are seeing the most success is WR to CB. Richard Sherman (49ers), Isaiah Johnson (Raiders), Justin Layne (Steelers), are some of the athletes I focused on. Had I not been done with the project, Derion Kendrick would have been included. Whenever I see a WR converting, especially one with the recruiting background of Kendrick (5-star), I always lock in on that player.

817Gill

Reaction score
I love Brugler but I think he is doing what draft guys always do and putting the picks down just by talent. Usually the QBs are always picked higher, at this point in 2015 the draft guys were thinking Carson Wentz would go late in the first and he ended up second overall (ha!). If you bunch those guys up and then guys like Sewell and Ja'Marr Chase go high, you could have your pick of the CBs if you trade down to 8 or so.

I also love the idea of two #2's and then trading two #3s to get a third second rounder. Getting four guys out of the top 50 would be pretty sweet when you look at our recent non-Taco track record.
Bro you read my mind with the trade the 3’s for another 2. I haven’t dived deep enough to confidently say we should forgo two 3rd round picks for another second but I’m pretty sure three second rounders is better as those are where you find those solid to high end starters.

And I have no idea why these mocks are scared to put 5 QBs in the top 20 picks. Chicago, San Fran, Indy, NE, Wash, and possibly the Panthers and Falcons all need QB’s. To think they will all just wait and see who falls to them is laughable. If and when a team identifies their guy at QB and they see that there is a need amongst multiple other teams, they trade up and take em. That’s draft tendencies 101.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Agree on the QBs, I love Brugler but most draft guys make these picks around their evaluation and not history or what always happens - a GM falls in love with a player and drafts him higher than anyone thought. The "it only takes one GM" stuff.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Bro you read my mind with the trade the 3’s for another 2. I haven’t dived deep enough to confidently say we should forgo two 3rd round picks for another second but I’m pretty sure three second rounders is better as those are where you find those solid to high end starters.

Exactly, picking four guys in the top 50 can give you half your starting defense for the next ten years. I posted the stat to one of the haters the other day, Dallas has drafted more Pro Bowl players in the last seven years than the rest of the Division COMBINED.

Jon Machota wrote an article on this today with the super basic, paint by numbers stuff of "the Cowboys are looking at a CB high and should trade down if they can". Read the whole article I was thinking "way ahead of you" until he talked about picking up the extra second round pick. It was all check the box stuff until the end when he said "or instead of the extra #2 they could get a #1 next year"

Doug%2BCollins%2Bmind%2Bblown.gif

Kaiser

Reaction score

I would love that, they clearly went with that kind of player in Trevon Diggs and it clearly was a great pick. I wouldn't be afraid of a guy who took a half season to develop also, Diggs will be the #1 CB next year and you could get away with someone like Brown at the second corner for a few games early on.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Interesting.. I wasn’t sold on Fields as the #2 QB. Glad to see Brugler have a similar opinion on how teams may go.

I'm sure I'm going to post this 4000 times but this could be like the 1983 draft where you have a bunch of QBs go in the first round with a star at the top (Elway) but the rest of the class with mixed performance. In that class Marino was drafted last and probably second best, while Todd Blackledge was taken 7th overall, second QB taken, and he wasn't as good as guys taken after him like Marino, Jim Kelly and Ken OBrien.

Either way, my main thing is I want teams overpaying for a QB in a trade with Dallas. That's my voodoo doll with from now until the draft.

817Gill

Reaction score
Agree on the QBs, I love Brugler but most draft guys make these picks around their evaluation and not history or what always happens - a GM falls in love with a player and drafts him higher than anyone thought. The "it only takes one GM" stuff.
And when it happens they mark it down as “the surprise of the draft”. How many years are you going to be surprised a QB gets reached on? Christian Ponder and Jake Locker were top 15 picks. Teams traded up like crazy in the Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes draft. Frankly it seems like a risk not predicting a QB goes earlier than his grade would suggest.

817Gill

Reaction score
Exactly, picking four guys in the top 50 can give you half your starting defense for the next ten years. I posted the stat to one of the haters the other day, Dallas has drafted more Pro Bowl players in the last seven years than the rest of the Division COMBINED.

Jon Machota wrote an article on this today with the super basic, paint by numbers stuff of "the Cowboys are looking at a CB high and should trade down if they can". Read the whole article I was thinking "way ahead of you" until he talked about picking up the extra second round pick. It was all check the box stuff until the end when he said "or instead of the extra #2 they could get a #1 next year"

Doug%2BCollins%2Bmind%2Bblown.gif
Yes! I don’t get to see Machota’s articles but if he’s saying that I trust him. We hit on our premium picks and with salary cap issues upcoming stockpiling as many 2/3rd rounders as we can is money.

Kaiser

Reaction score
And when it happens they mark it down as “the surprise of the draft”. How many years are you going to be surprised a QB gets reached on? Christian Ponder and Jake Locker were top 15 picks. Teams traded up like crazy in the Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes draft. Frankly it seems like a risk not predicting a QB goes earlier than his grade would suggest.

Yeah, I have a good friend who is a Bears fan. It drives him insane how much they spent in picks and salary on Trubisky. One more reason to stay with the bird in the hand with Dak Prescott.

817Gill

Reaction score
Yeah, I have a good friend who is a Bears fan. It drives him insane how much they spent in picks and salary on Trubisky. One more reason to stay with the bird in the hand with Dak Prescott.
A team building strategy that fits the cap and should work theoretically:

Sign Dak to a market value deal and hoard top 100 picks the next two years and draft your defense cheap. Your O is already under contract for the most part, may lose Gallup but it’s not like he’s indispensable. If you hit on those picks at the percentage we usually do, then we should have an above average defense and a top-5 offense. Good ‘nuff.

Kaiser

Reaction score
A team building strategy that fits the cap and should work theoretically:

Sign Dak to a market value deal and hoard top 100 picks the next two years and draft your defense cheap. Your O is already under contract for the most part, may lose Gallup but it’s not like he’s indispensable. If you hit on those picks at the percentage we usually do, then we should have an above average defense and a top-5 offense. Good ‘nuff.

Exactly, no matter how many threads are created here the Defense doesn't need that much to be an above average unit. Add a top ten pick at CB and high picks at Safety and DT and the other pieces are in place.