Danny White, Quincy Carter, Glenn Carano Appreciation *MERGED* Thread

ArtClink

Reaction score
Danny White led the Cowboys to 3 straight NFC Championship games in the early 80's and is one of our most underappreciated and misunderstood QBs in our history.

Here is an interesting article about Danny White (source: sportscasting.com)

"Danny White took over in 1980 and exceeded expectations. White had started just one game in four years in Dallas and had attempted just 103 passes. Nobody knew quite what to expect but White was fantastic. Starting all 16 games, he led the Cowboys to a 12-4 record, throwing for 3,287 yards and 28 touchdowns, all while still maintaining his role as the punter."

"In his career, Danny White threw for 21,959 yards. Roger Staubach threw for 22,700. White threw for 155 touchdowns for the Cowboys. Staubach threw for 153. With four more years than White as a starter, Troy Aikman threw 164. White had a winning percentage of .674 as a starter. Aikman’s was .569. Even take away that dreadful first year for Aikman when the Cowboys were 1-15 (Aikman was 0-11 as a starter) and his winning percentage is still lower at .610."

What do you think about Danny White's time as our QB? If you're not old enough to have seen him play, then you've likely heard a lot of disparaging remarks about White and they would be wrong.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Danny White and Dallas would have reached Super Bowl XVI if Drew Pearson had fought his way through Eric Wright's fingertip holding onto the lip of the back of his jersey. It would have regulated 'The Catch' to just another occasional NFL highlight.

Oh well. That game firmly added San Francisco onto my short list of the only NFL franchises I dislike, along with Washington and Pittsburgh.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Danny White led the Cowboys to 3 straight NFC Championship games in the early 80's and is one of our most underappreciated and misunderstood QBs in our history.

"Danny White took over in 1980 and exceeded expectations. White had started just one game in four years in Dallas and had attempted just 103 passes. Nobody knew quite what to expect but White was fantastic. Starting all 16 games, he led the Cowboys to a 12-4 record, throwing for 3,287 yards and 28 touchdowns, all while still maintaining his role as the punter."

"In his career, Danny White threw for 21,959 yards. Roger Staubach threw for 22,700. White threw for 155 touchdowns for the Cowboys. Staubach threw for 153. With four more years than White as a starter, Troy Aikman threw 164. White had a winning percentage of .674 as a starter. Aikman’s was .569. Even take away that dreadful first year for Aikman when the Cowboys were 1-15 (Aikman was 0-11 as a starter) and his winning percentage is still lower at .610."

What do you think about Danny White's time as our QB? If you're not old enough to have seen him play, then you've likely heard a lot of disparaging remarks about White and they would be wrong.
Very talented QB who deserved at least 1 ring.
Oh well, fate had Niner plans I guess............

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

He was/is definitely unappreciated.
Following a Legend is a difficult task, indeed!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
White was a good QB who had turnover issues in big moments. He became a whipping boy for a lot of fans because the pressure of trying to replace Roger Staubach became too much for him. He’ll best be remembered for the fumble in the closing seconds of the 1981 NFC title game. He actual had a good game but everyone remembers The Catch and his fumble.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
He was/is definitely unappreciated.
Following a Legend is a difficult task, indeed!
And Danny White gave it up for Dallas and yes he is under appreciated by our fan base as a whole. Punted and played qb pretty darn well. I liked Danny White and we were so close 3 times as I recall from the SB with him at the helm. He too would be breaking records if in the modern day nfl just like Roger.

stiletto

Reaction score
I didn't hate Danny White, grew up with him, he like Dak/Romo just weren't good enough and you have to eventually admit it and move on. All were given plenty of chances.

Find the next guy who is/might be as soon as possible. Otherwise we are just wasting our years.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Danny White won 5 playoff games including 3 divisional playoff games. Something Romo never did and Dak hasn’t so far. White was a good QB who was probably one play away from at least one SB ring.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Let’s see how much Love Danny gets.

He was underrated IMO. He couldn’t get past the NFC Championship.
I watched his entire career. He was a good QB who failed in the real big moments. He would get that deer in the headlights look. He was awful in two of the three NFC title games. The best game of his career was against Atlanta in the 1980 playoffs. He brought the Cowboys from behind on the road in the final minutes with 2 TD passes to Drew Pearson. I thought he was going to be another Staubach but the following week against Philly in the conference title game he was HORRIBLE! That may have been the worst game of his career.

MarkP88

Reaction score
Danny White won 5 playoff games including 3 divisional playoff games. Something neither Romo never did and Dak hasn’t so far. White was a good QB who was probably one play away from at least one SB ring.
Don't forget the game he took over when Roger went out with an injury in the '78 playoffs against Atlanta. It's 6 counting that one, I think.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
White inherited a great team that was only 2 years removed from its last SB win. Against the Rams in the 1980 playoffs he had 3 INTs but the Cowboys won 34-13 because he had such a good team around him. However, his mistakes always caught up with us.

Motorola

Reaction score
And Danny White gave it up for Dallas and yes he is under appreciated by our fan base as a whole. Punted and played qb pretty darn well. I liked Danny White and we were so close 3 times as I recall from the SB with him at the helm. He too would be breaking records if in the modern day nfl just like Roger.
Danny White won 5 playoff games including 3 divisional playoff games. Something neither Romo never did and Dak hasn’t so far. White was a good QB who was probably one play away from at least one SB ring.
In that third and final NFCCG, White was concussed (Dexter Manley) just before the first half ended,nd didn't play in the second half.
I always felt had that not happened, Dallas would have beat Washington.

Last edited:

ArtClink

Reaction score
Danny White and Dallas would have reached Super Bowl XVI if Drew Pearson had fought his way through Eric Wright's fingertip holding onto the lip of the back of his jersey. It would have regulated 'The Catch' to just another occasional NFL highlight.

Oh well. That game firmly added San Francisco onto my short list of the only NFL franchises I dislike, along with Washington and Pittsburgh.
Exactly and that game remains the worst Cowboys game I have ever watched. It is still painful to see that game.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
He was a big reason I started liking the Cowboys in the 80s! The fact that he and I had the same first name when I was 8 or 9 was enough for me! Well that and the uniforms and Tony Dorsett too.