Twitter: Darian Thompson expected to start in Woods' absence

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Wilson shows flashes in preseason. "Lets play the one with starting experience against the Dolphins." Makes sense. I would be seeing what Wilson has in this High School game.

Probably the smart play. But as soon as we get a 14 point lead, Wilson needs to get in there for experience.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Crawford is likely out this week and more

Thanks, missed that.

Looks like we're going to have injury issues all year, Crawford, Woods, Woods, Gallup already out multiple games, Cowboys do seem to have more depth this year but not sure of the quality of such depth, except Cobb, and he wasn't really depth as he has had a lot of snaps already.

:(

glimmerman

Reaction score
Thanks, missed that.

Looks like we're going to have injury issues all year, Crawford, Woods, Woods, Gallup already out multiple games, Cowboys do seem to have more depth this year but not sure of the quality of such depth, except Cobb, and he wasn't really depth as he has had a lot of snaps already.

:(
I think Austin out also. Don’t look like any of the injuries are long term. Hope most will be back soon. These games are going to get harder.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for helping clarify. It gets a little confusing when they list him at SS, play him at FS, and we interchange them some based on package.

Yes, the fact that the SS occasionally plays as the single high (deep) Safety makes it difficult to know which position they are playing by just observing an individual play.

The Safety that plays the majority of the single high snaps is the FS.

I would not describe them as interchangeable per se.

The reason they move the FS down and the SS back is normally because they want the FS to match-up in man coverage on a specific player against certain offensive alignments in certain down/distance situations.

The easier explanation is that they want to utilize the CB like skills of Xavier Woods (and previously Byron Jones when he played Safety) in certain situations.

If they eventually find a SS Safety with some Nickel CB type skills, then they would be less likely to move the FS down and the SS back.

I would like to see Donovan Wilson get some snaps against the Dolphins AND then get worked into games more and more as the season progresses.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes, the fact that the SS occasionally plays as the single high (deep) Safety makes it difficult to know which position they are playing by just observing an individual play.

The Safety that plays the majority of the single high snaps is the FS.

I would not describe them as interchangeable per se.

The reason they move the FS down and the SS back is normally because they want the FS to match-up in man coverage on a specific player against certain offensive alignments in certain down/distance situations.

The easier explanation is that they want to utilize the CB like skills of Xavier Woods (and previously Byron Jones when he played Safety) in certain situations.

If they eventually find a SS Safety with some Nickel CB type skills, then they would be less likely to move the FS down and the SS back.

I would like to see Donovan Wilson get some snaps against the Dolphins AND then get worked into games more and more as the season progresses.

Right like when Byron covered TE's and heath would play single high. This should be a good opportunity to get some of these younger players more snaps.

Mr_437

Reaction score
It'll be good to see Thompson gets some meaningful snaps, really liked his game at Boise.

Not concerned about DWilson getting snaps right now cause she shouldn't be thrust into a starting position anytime soon.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I hope they know what they are doing by starting him.

Watching the Commanders game over to just get my final thoughts and Woods was very aggressive.

What I saw from Thompson in his limited time with the Giants was nothing of the kind.

He literally was a safety net. He was way deep and basically there to shield a big play.

I get that Richard loves his "range", I don't think that is a worthwhile gamble with him.

If I am Miami, I go at him with everything I have.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right like when Byron covered TE's and heath would play single high. This should be a good opportunity to get some of these younger players more snaps.
Yes.

Woods played as the Nickel CB in several games his rookie season. Now he is an asset when they want to bring him down to utilize his CB type skills.

They use Woods ability to play CB to allow them to switch up coverage near the line to avoid pick plays (rub routes) which was a huge problem for a few years going back to the days of Claiborne at CB.

I've especially noticed it when teams are in the redzone. They can mix things up using Woods. It helps having Kris Richard because the previous secondary coaches could have done more of that with Byron Jones at Safety but they mostly just used him on TEs when he was not specifically playing his Safety role.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
giphy.gif

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'll see how Quinn does, probably will move Crawford to DT, Quinn will get some snaps at DE. Might see Hill at DT some also, will have to see who's inactive Sunday of course...
They should rest Crawford. He had a minor injury issue last week.