RELEASED Darian Thompson released

tayloner

Reaction score
I have to think Darian will almost certainly be the guy who spends all year jumping back-and-forth between the practice squad and active roster. Because he’s a vested veteran and players can be called up from the practice squad, there’s no harm in doing so. It’s good roster management, and Darian is the type of leader/veteran who can handle it, he also has a contract that accommodates it.

Given his role on special teams and his quasi-leader status, I would be surprised if this wasn’t the case. I originally thought maybe Malik Hooker could play this part, but Darian makes more sense. Ty Nsekhe is the other person I thought maybe they’d do this with.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
I'm very thankful for this. Welcome to the team, Israel Mukuamu!! Quinn found us the league's next Jamal Adams/Kam Chancellor in Mukuamu. The kid can do everything... at 6'4" he can cover tight ends, he's fast and agile, he can cover a deep half in cover 2/4, and he can blitz... just needs to shore up the instincts and run support tackling and Mukuamu can be our long term starting SS.

Carson

Reaction score
I'm very thankful for this. Welcome to the team, Israel Mukuamu!! Quinn found us the league's next Jamal Adams/Kam Chancellor in Mukuamu. The kid can do everything... at 6'4" he can cover tight ends, he's fast and agile, he can cover a deep half in cover 2/4, and he can blitz... just needs to shore up the instincts and run support tackling and Mukuamu can be our long term starting SS.
I’m a huge fan of his. But if they go 4 safeties he will go to the practice squad

I would keep him active to keep Kazee and Hooker off of special teams

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
I’m a huge fan of his. But if they go 4 safeties he will go to the practice squad

I would keep him active to keep Kazee and Hooker off of special teams
they will keep 5 safeties.

-Hooker (will be the opening day starting FS)
-Wilson (will be the opening day starting SS)
-Kazee (will rotate in at FS and sometimes play along side Hooker in cover 2 or cover 4 schemes)
-Kearse (backup SS, mainly a special teams)
-Mukuamu (can play SS, LB, or Jamal Adams joker role, also special teams early on until he moves up the depth chart)

I have high hopes that Mukuamu will ultimately end up being a star strong safety and start for us. Wilson isn't bad and he hits hard, but he's a little undersized for strong safety and is much more of a tweener type but a liability in coverage.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
they will keep 5 safeties.

-Hooker (will be the opening day starting FS)
-Wilson (will be the opening day starting SS)
-Kazee (will rotate in at FS and sometimes play along side Hooker in cover 2 or cover 4 schemes)
-Kearse (backup SS, mainly a special teams)
-Mukuamu (can play SS, LB, or Jamal Adams joker role, also special teams early on until he moves up the depth chart)

I have high hopes that Mukuamu will ultimately end up being a star strong safety and start for us. Wilson isn't bad and he hits hard, but he's a little undersized for strong safety and is much more of a tweener type but a liability in coverage.

Those are the 5 I have. You don't think Kazee may start over Hooker for a while, until Hooker gets more acclimated with the defense?
I am fine either way. I wanted Dallas to draft Hooker, and think he can be a difference maker. So I hope he starts right away. But need to ask since Kazee may be more familiar with the offense right now.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Those are the 5 I have. You don't think Kazee may start over Hooker for a while, until Hooker gets more acclimated with the defense?
I am fine either way. I wanted Dallas to draft Hooker, and think he can be a difference maker. So I hope he starts right away. But need to ask since Kazee may be more familiar with the offense right now.
Kazee is a solid FS, better than anyone we've had at that spot for a very long time, well over a decade. Including Byron Jones who was a disaster there until moved back to CB.

But, "better than anyone we've had at FS" isn't saying much.

Hooker, on the other hand, was touted as the next Earl Thomas coming out of the draft. He has superstar potential. And has played like it when he hasn't been injured. If he has a relatively injury-free career from this point forward, he can be a perennial all-pro and have a HOF career for us. Hopefully we can ink him to a longer term deal after this year for a reasonable price considering his injury history, and then we'll have to decide which of Gallup or LVE to franchise tag and the other will probably walk.

Daillest88

Reaction score
So glad they got rid of him and kept Israel , really thought they were gonna screw that up