Dark Phoenix Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I have my fingers tightly crossed but I have a bad feeling too. This adaptation is based on one of comics' most renowned stories. Surely, no one can mess it up RIGHT?

First, 20th Century Fox (and Bryan Singer :mad: ) made the Days Of Future Past story 'more agreeable' for the general audience. Next, Fox watered down the (Age of) Apocalypse epic into ginger ale. I might go Dark Phoenix on this studio if they fumble this one...

Regardless, I still love Sophie Turner's pick for Jean Grey.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I have my fingers tightly crossed but I have a bad feeling too. This adaptation is based on one of comics' most renowned stories. Surely, no one can mess it up RIGHT?

First, 20th Century Fox (and Bryan Singer :mad: ) made the Days Of Future Past story 'more agreeable' for the general audience. Next, Fox watered down the (Age of) Apocalypse epic into ginger ale. I might go Dark Phoenix on this studio if they fumble this one...

Regardless, I still love Sophie Turner's pick for Jean Grey.

She's hot.
While I don't find her particularly hot, I do like the casting of her more than Famke Janssen, from a physical standpoint. She does a very good acting job in GoT, and I can see a lot of that role suiting the character of both Jean Grey and Phoenix, so if the movie sucks, I don't think it'll be her fault.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I don't find her particularly hot, I do like the casting of her more than Famke Janssen, from a physical standpoint. She does a very good acting job in GoT, and I can see a lot of that role suiting the character of both Jean Grey and Phoenix, so if the movie sucks, I don't think it'll be her fault.
I do not get into comparisons between Janssen and Turner. In my opinion, Singer constrained Janssen's chance of fleshing out Jean in his movies (I have the same opinion about several other actors' performances in his movies. Plus, that Last Stand nonsense did not serve Janssen's version of Jean either. I liked her casting for the role nonetheless.

Turner has some untapped potential as an actress though. I hope this particular movie, which spotlights her in particular, allows her an opportunity to blossom even more.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I do not get into comparisons between Janssen and Turner. In my opinion, Singer constrained Janssen's chance of fleshing out Jean in his movies (I have the same opinion about several other actors' performances in his movies. Plus, that Last Stand nonsense did not serve Janssen's version of Jean either. I liked her casting for the role nonetheless.

Turner has some untapped potential as an actress though. I hope this particular movie, which spotlights her in particular, allows her an opportunity to blossom even more.
I'm not saying I didn't like Janssen as Jean Grey. I think she did a good job, for what the role was. I just think Turner looks the part, as I would've envisioned the character's live action counterpart.

cowboyec

Reaction score
so this isnt about the famous Ufo sighting over Phoenix...known as the Phoenix Lights?

dang.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not saying I didn't like Janssen as Jean Grey. I think she did a good job, for what the role was. I just think Turner looks the part, as I would've envisioned the character's live action counterpart.
Funny. I have always thought of Janssen's Jean as the mature version of the character from the late 70's and 80's in the books and the 90's cartoon--although I could make an argument Fox's Saturday morning X-Men series could be considered as respectable anime in some ways too.
On the other hand, I have looked at Turner as young Jean or Marvel Girl from the 60's and early 70's. Different perspectives I guess lol.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
She's hot ** dude

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I don't know why people are so set on trying to make Sophia Turner happen, she's a terrible actress.

I don't know how we fell all the way from Hugh Jackson to Sophia Turner as the X-Men lead, but they could have done better.

Between the cartoons and films, I feel like we've done Dark Phoenix. Are there no other X-Men stories to tell?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know why people are so set on trying to make Sophia Turner happen, she's a terrible actress.
lol
I don't know how we fell all the way from Hugh Jackson to Sophia Turner as the X-Men lead, but they could have done better.
This movie’s plot is entirely based on the Jean Grey character. Turner won the role to play the character in this movie’s predecessor, X-Men Apocalypse. According to Clevver.com, several others [ http://www.clevver.com/actresses-considered-auditioned-for-x-men-apocalypse-jean-grey/ ] auditioned or were considered for the role. Of those mentioned, I would have only preferred Margot Robbie as a (much) better matching of actor and character. I am not certain of the accuracy of the site’s list, with an obvious error stating Robbie landed another Marvel character role instead of Jean. Harley Quinn is a DC property.
Between the cartoons and films, I feel like we've done Dark Phoenix. Are there no other X-Men stories to tell?
lol. Well, the Dark Phoenix Saga has certainly been attempted before. X-Men The Last Stand was a pathetic attempt on its own. There were two or three cartoon adaptations that I am aware of but only the one in the Saturday morning X-Men series was remotely close retelling the tale.

This trailer indicates it will deviate from the nearly 40-year old original story also. No cosmic entity will co-inhabit Jean’s body and mind, evolving her into a universal threat exceeding even Thanos. Fox does not think large scale. :rolleyes: Instead, Jean’s Omega level mutant power will be the antagonist’s threat. In my opinion, Fox will succeed or fail depending how powerful they allow the character to be. Jean’s mutantcy is definitely more formidable in comics than was shown in Apocalypse, so we will see.

There are other X-Men stories worthy of movie adaptation. A short list could include The Brood or The Phalanx but again Fox does not have the fortitude or imagination to think that big. That is a Marvel/Disney strength.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I'll watch but not really that excited about it.

I really feel like the series was headed in the right direction with First Class, and Days of Futures Past wasn't terrible. But Apocalypse was a huge fail for me.

In my opinion, the series lost its bearings due to Disney's Marvel MCU.

First Class had the benefit of debuting almost a full year before the first Avengers film. And I believe production started on DOFP was in active development before that as well.

But it seems like they changed style and direction in response to the Avengers and escalated to their best villain (Apocalypse) too quickly in response to the hype building around Thanos.

The result is that the end of the Trilogy doesn't really jive well with the first two, and now this newer film exists in an anticlimactic no-mans land.

Just my opinion

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really feel like the series was headed in the right direction with First Class, and Days of Futures Past wasn't terrible. But Apocalypse was a huge fail for me.
It is like you read my mind.

For me, X-Men First Class was a home run. Each mutant appeared and acted as if they stepped from the pages of comics. All the characters were spotlighted virtually equally. Plus the story flowed smoothly from start to finish. I attributed much of its (in my opinion) success to Matthew Vaughn's direction.

Then the studio reversed gears and went the safe route by bringing back Bryan Singer to direct X-Men Days Of Future Past. The soul of the first movie did not flow into the sequel. Logan returned as Singer's central character, aka Singer's Hugh Jackman safety net. A braver screenplay, like the one for FC, would have introduced Kitty Pryde's character, who would have been protected by Logan in the future, while she traveled back in time to prevent the catastrophe. Just like the original story. Jackman would have still played a large role in the movie.

Of course, Singer could have argued continuity since Pryde was a super minor character from his X2 sequel and that Last Stand nonsense. Then again anyone could have made the counter argument that the string of pre-First Class films jacked up continuity to the point that a total refreshing of the mutant film environment would have been a blessing rather than a mistake. Days Of Future Past was a good movie that could have been better with a little more courage behind the camera.

However, what happened to DOFP does not hold a candle to what derailed X-Men Apocalypse's odds of success. I can still remember reading the 12-month Age of Apocalypse epic that ran through all the mutant comic titles. There was literally TONS of existing material that could have been retrofitted for the most imagination challenged audiences. That... movie barely scraped the top layers of that story also. It is sad how badly the film performed considering the amount of quality acting it had at its disposal.

Crap. I think I am depressing myself more about what Dark Phoenix may end up being. :(

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have little to no expectations for this movie. And the trailer does nothing to help. In fact, it looks more like a note for note replay of the poor job the did of it the first time in the Last Stand. I don't care for the choice of Turner for the role either. Like Emelia Clarke, Turner might be good in Game of Thrones, but I'm not impressed at all with her in other roles.

And this thing is shaping up to be another train wreck, one which will be fortunate that Disney/Marvell will allow to see the light of day, merely due to the sunk costs already involved and a financial decision to make some money back rather than taking a total loss. If this movie wasn't essentially made already, I don't think it ever would be.

And I fully expect both this film and this cast to quickly become a footnote in superhero history as Disney regains the property and takes it in a completely different direction.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I fully expect both this film and this cast to quickly become a footnote in superhero history as Disney regains the property and takes it in a completely different direction.
I think you are right about the cast but it would be a shame that Jennifer Lawrence, James McAvoy and/or Michael Fassbender could not transition over to the new studio. That said, I would not mind seeing other actors take a crack at some of these characters. Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Alice Eve or Jurnee Smollett-Bell would be good auditions for the role of Mystique in my opinion.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you are right about the cast but it would be a shame that Jennifer Lawrence, James McAvoy and/or Michael Fassbender could not transition over to the new studio. That said, I would not mind seeing other actors take a crack at some of these characters. Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Alice Eve or Jurnee Smollett-Bell would be good auditions for the role of Mystique in my opinion.

From what I've heard, both Lawrence and Fassbender are about done with these roles anyway. Lawrence especially. In fact, I think she had to be talked back into coming back for this one. Her indifference really showed up in Apocalypse. She gave a "don't want to be here" performance for that entire film.

Fox has run this property into the ground. And I think it's particularly accurate and telling that they're using "The End" as the score for this trailer. They know it's over.

I'm looking ahead on these properties, along with Fantastic Four, and excited and optimistic at what a proven powerhouse like Disney/Marvel can do with them in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.