Darnell Bing: How come his name hasn't been mentioned at Safety?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Bing was an all american recruit at safety and tailback who had to sit out a year because he didn't qualify then entered USC a year later to much fanfare but has been plagued by injury and inconsistency in his time at USC.

It suprised me a great deal that he came out.

He is only ranked about 5th at safety and slotted mid round 2 right now. He could very well be an option in round 2 for the Boys.

He's a great all around athlete but has not developed a reputation as being tough. He has been a strong safety but is probably more of a free safety type in the NFL. The nagging injury thing is worrisome because at the next level he'll need to tackle bigger players and play in more games.

He struggled against UT in the Rose Bowl as he couldn't stay with David Thomas or track down Vince Young.

He has prototypical measurables at safety and could really develop if given time. I'd compare him to Young in that he is probably not a day 1 starter for a good team but could be the best player at his position from the draft in 3 or 4 years. Unlike Young his toughness is in question.

dallasfan

Reaction score
I see no reason why he won't fall to us in the 2nd. This is a very deep draft. One thing that probably hurts him is that there are several safeties that used to be corners like Jason Allen, Jimmy Williams and Michael Huff, so maybe when people say he can't cover, it's compared to them?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Our FS elected to stay for his Senior year at LSU. His name is Laron Landry. A stop gap vet to keep his place warm is a better option.

:grin:

I have a feeling we will go S in round 2 or 3. I doubt we look at round 1. Too much $$$ tied up in the D backfield already.

Bing is more a SS than a FS. Is a playmaker but also lacks some cover skills. I like him. He can be very up and down though.

Cromartie in the 2nd is a better option IMO.

Watkins in the 3rd maybe.

There are some good options who could fall to us.

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Bing as long as it isn't the 1st round.

Seriously though, Laron Landry, LSU, FS in 2007.

dallasfan

Reaction score
If we do draft Bing in round 2, I think we should have a Vet like Marcus Coleman come in just in case.

doomsday81

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
Again, that's not what the scouts have been saying....According to Kirwin.

I've watched film on about 30 safeties so far and in my humble opinion, Darnell Bing is the most overrated player in this draft. Terrible in coverage and takes awful angles on ball carriers. When watching film, I saw him miss more tackles than he made. Right now, I think he's the most overrated player in this year's draft by a longshot. If a team takes him in round one, pray it's not Dallas. It won't be, so don't worry.

Pabst

Reaction score
Bing is a poor mans Roy Williams.

Last time I checked, the Cowboys already had Roy Williams.

JPM

Reaction score
Pabst said:
Bing is a poor mans Roy Williams.

Last time I checked, the Cowboys already had Roy Williams.

Bing actually reminds me of Thomas Davis

ghst187

Reaction score
Bing is an amazing athlete and a great football player. I think he would do well at the FS position. He'll make plays wherever you put him. I don't think he's a great cover FS but he'll do well there because he's a great athlete, crazy fast, and a great football player.
He would be a big upgrade for us and a steal in the second round, esp where we are currently picking.
I would prefer Jason Allen in the second round, i think that's the ideal scenario for us. Allen is pure coverage and playmaker.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
like Bill doesn't like young QBs, he wants to win now, screw the future, Al Johnson gets pushed back on every play, ROy is horrible in coverage, Troy Polamalu is so much better in coverage than ROy

I could go on :)
Roy runs a 4.53 40, Troy runs a 4.35. He'd better be able to cover.