Video: Darrell Jackson KO'd by Darren Woodson 2002 vs Dallas

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They flagged the ferocity of the hit because there was nothing illegal about it.

I remember it well.

Cmac

Reaction score
Ref would have slung a flag immediately, in today's game.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I think that was the first time I remember hearing the "hitting a defenseless receiver" penalty. You're playing football. Don't put yourself in a defenseless position. You go up to catch that ball, there may be...consequences.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What did the rule makers expect him to do? Just sit back and watch the receiver catch the ball?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never have gotten another safety that can come close to Woodson yet.
Notice how fast Roy W went down hill after Woodson left.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
That was a hard blow by Woodson, but not the last of many he delivered!

There's no doubt but what it's no blessing to be on the wrong side of that.

Opponents of other teams were never unaware of exactly where he was!

Last edited:

dfense

Reaction score
Back when hitting too hard was a penalty. There was one on Jerry Rice to that was just too hard, flag.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There was a good case to be made that Woodson's hit was a shoulder hit and not with the helmet. In fact, the commentator alluded to that. o_O

In any event, the blow that Woodson delivered was one that assuredly came as a sudden stop. It must have felt like he ran into a brick wall. :eek:

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
Jackson had a seizure(s) in the shower from that hit.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
I was at this game, came from Boston to visit a buddy and went. Woodson became the Cowboy's all time tackle leader this game. And some guy named Emmitt Smith became the NFL's all time rushing leader this game too.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Little known fact that I once read: Woodson actually grew up as a Cowboys hater. He was a diehard Steelers fan and the team he did NOT want to play for was Dallas. But when he got drafted by Dallas, his attitude was, "Well, they're my team now." And he played lights out for the Cowboys. To me, that's the epitome of a professional.

Carson

Reaction score
Little known fact that I once read: Woodson actually grew up as a Cowboys hater. He was a diehard Steelers fan and the team he did NOT want to play for was Dallas. But when he got drafted by Dallas, his attitude was, "Well, they're my team now." And he played lights out for the Cowboys. To me, that's the epitome of a professional.
That’s wild. Goes to show you even back in the day people cheered for Pittsburgh, Dallas, San Francisco. I wonder since he’s from Arizona why he didn’t go more to the Niners than Steelers