Day Two Rants and Rambling

Verdammung

Reaction score
Please excuse me for this, but I have some things to get off my chest.

#58 UCF DT Trysten Hill

Feelings: I've made my position on this known before now; I hate this pick.

Why did they pick him? Because he has traits Marinelli values in the DT position; athleticism, quickness off the snap that translates into penetration, high effort, 1-Tech experience, and general ineffectiveness playing DT.
Why do I hate this pick? First, there was some concerns about him getting along with coaching, but if they're fine with it, I won't question it that much. Second, because I didn't feel like he was a consistent pass rush threat. Third, and most importantly, this guy gets knocked around. Go watch him against Memphis, not only in their regular season game, but in the conference championship as well. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing, but I don't see any resemblance of ability to play with power.
I'm admittedly a lot lower on him than most, but I graded him as a backup player with some traits and good measurables. He's worth a shot, but if you're like me, that's not worth even a third round pick, let alone a second rounder. I had him graded as a fourth to fifth rounder.
Not only did they have their choice of four safeties with grades anywhere inbetween the second and the third round, but there was a better 3-tech on the board that I'd argue had also has quickness off the snap, motor, pass rushing ability, and penetration against the run; Dre'Mont Jones.

#90 Penn State G/C Connor McGovern

Feelings: I expect a lot of people hate this pick. I have mixed feelings about it, but I'm ultimately fine with it.

I didn't like the choice of picking OL. I feel like we're a little too deep at the position group now, and when it comes time to cut to 53, we're going to lose a roster worthy player. Maybe we should send out feelers for one of our depth players, but I doubt have any real trade value.
That being said, the most important thing to me is to get the player value right, and I am here to tell yall that they drafted a good football player here. I'm a lot higher on him than others, but I had him as a high second round value.
The Positives: He brings starting experience at both the center and guard postion. Decent measurables. My note on his tape; all purpose run blocker, with power, positioning, sustainability, and mobility. Generally doesn't take snaps off.
The Negatives: Needs improvement in protection. I felt he was more battle-tested than most interior linemen, but he'll get beat once a game. Not consistently good with his assignment recognition. Center-Guard flex was listed as a positive, but believe me, he's much better as a guard than a center. Issues with balance (I feel like every player has issues with balance).

Discount Value on the Board

Running Back
Justice Hill - Lance Dunbar.

Wide Receiver
Jakoby Meyers, N.C. State - Lacks separation speed. Not always quick, but crafty as a route runner. Catches everything; not an exaggeration in contested situations.
Kelvin Harmon, N.C. State - The more well known N.C. State receiver. Scouting report reads the same. Fun note, maybe the best blocking WR I've seen.
Riley Ridley, Georgia - Great route runner.

Offensive Line
Don't even think about it.

Defensive End
Anthony Nelson, Iowa - Solid, but unexciting LE. Every down starting RE in our scheme.
Maxx Crosby, Eastern Michigan - He needs development, but I saw some DeMarcus Lawrence-esque complete LE ability to him.

Defensive Tackle
Renell Wren, Arizona State - Needs development, but all the traits in the world and arguable ascending player. Large and powerful, so automatically disqualified.

Linebacker
Ben Burr-Kirven, Washington - I like his ability, but he may be too much of a will for us to consider him. Or we could just use all wills all the time.
Justin Hollins, Oregon - Played OLB in a 3-4, so he's considered an edge rushing prospect by many. I don't really believe in that, and consider him more of a Sam in the mold of Kyle Wilbur.
Ulysees Gilbert III, Akron - Underweight, but hyper athletic with great coverage ability. Once again, too much of a will.

Cornerback
Julian Love, Notre Dame - Under 6'0", so automatically disqualified.
Michael Jackson, Miami - Just beat it.

Defensive Back
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Florida - I had a 1-2 on him, citing shutdown slot coverage ability with free safety potential. Broaddus claims that he flunked the interview with the Cowboys though, so if he's still available after three rounds, it must be a real concern.

Safety
Amani Hooker, Iowa - Experienced playing close to the line as a hybrid slot/OLB.
Deionte Thompson, Alabama - I was never on board with him being a first or even a second round pick, but now he's fallen due to injury concerns. Something to consider.

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL, your Love comment is so true but he’d Be a total value pick at this point as most had him as a third or even late second rounder.

Sheffielder74UK

Reaction score
Seen a lot of people mentioning his attitude and him not getting on with coaches,!however not seen any substance to back it up. Has anyone got examples of stuff this kid has done?

Verdammung

Reaction score
Seen a lot of people mentioning his attitude and him not getting on with coaches,!however not seen any substance to back it up. Has anyone got examples of stuff this kid has done?

Like I said, I'm not that worried about it, I just mentioned that it was out there. If the Cowboys coaches are okay with it, then so am I.

Based on a quick google search, I'm guessing he was unhappy with his role when a coaching change was made, so I'm guessing there was just arguments going on behind the scenes.

Unfortunately for Cowboys fans, this sounds an awful lot like another defensive linemen we've recently drafted...

RoboQB

Reaction score

The educated guess, with the information given and Charles Davis' comments is that
UCF's coach left for Nebraska. The new coach comes in and makes an example of this
kid by putting him in the doghouse for the entire season. Not a game, or two, the season.
Then he starts the kid for the Conference Championship, which Davis, Jeremiah, and the other
guy all say he dominated.

The new UCF coach has a reputation as being a bit of a jerk. I like the pick, but I may have
been hypnotized by Jane Slater when she told me to look for Hill to be the 58th pick before
the 2nd day of the draft began.

timb2

Reaction score
#3rd round pick is horrible!!! .The one position we did not need to draft was O-line. Just plain stupid. The kid is not a bad player,but our team did not need him. We needed OLB,S,TE,RB before a O-line prospect.

Gaede

Reaction score
I hate both picks. I understand their thinking. Grab the DT who won't be available in the third round instead of S, and then Harris will likely be there at 90. Except he wasn't. And now we have a reach in round 2 and a backup G in round 3 and zero help in 2019

cnuball21

Reaction score
The shirt and sweet is Hill is a big reach and McGovern doesn’t make much sense.

Hill has character concerns, and doesn’t anchor well. 3/4 rounder.

McGovern...why? We have an all pro G and just drafted a top 50 G. I could’ve gotten behind OT but are going to Williams to OT now when his scouting report said best suited for G?

I thought we were turning the corner in some solid drafts but this one has been pretty darn disappointing.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then he starts the kid for the Conference Championship, which Davis, Jeremiah, and the other guy all say he dominated.

I like the pick, but I may have been hypnotized by Jane Slater when she told me to look for Hill to be the 58th pick before the 2nd day of the draft began.
:thumbup:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The educated guess, with the information given and Charles Davis' comments is that
UCF's coach left for Nebraska. The new coach comes in and makes an example of this
kid by putting him in the doghouse for the entire season. Not a game, or two, the season.
Then he starts the kid for the Conference Championship, which Davis, Jeremiah, and the other
guy all say he dominated.
Great post.

I heard that live and it made perfect sense.

Everyone saying he is a problem blah blah blah doesn't know what really happened.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's a forum. Get whatever you want off your chest. Don't listen to the odd idiot here and there. You are allowed to say whatever you want as long as it's within the guidelines

Being frustrated is fine. We are not all sheep...

Fredbeard

Reaction score
The shirt and sweet is Hill is a big reach and McGovern doesn’t make much sense.

Hill has character concerns, and doesn’t anchor well. 3/4 rounder.

McGovern...why? We have an all pro G and just drafted a top 50 G. I could’ve gotten behind OT but are going to Williams to OT now when his scouting report said best suited for G?

I thought we were turning the corner in some solid drafts but this one has been pretty disappointing.
So the cowboys might have drafted another dt who struggles in run defense? Well ****:(:banghead:

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
When Collins leaves and gets us a 3rd round comp pick no one will be complaining about McGovern