DBs got their lunch ate by WRs during 1-on-1s

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'm asking myself, who is #6?

That's my boy Roberson.

Also, in 1-on-1s, I thought Brown looked like the best DB out there.

Like Zrin said, though, these drills favor the WR.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The thing about TC is one aspect of your team will shine one day and another the next. Had the DB's covered the WR's well we would be wondering if the WR's are crap. Best to wait til they play an actual opponent.
True, but it's good to see this very young and inexperienced group of WRs actually go out there and beat their 1-on-1 coverages, don't you think?

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
if Turpin is the juiceman then Anthony Brown must be the quicker picker upper because he sucked up that juice.

What you talking about Turpin burnt him like toast and the ball was under-thrown.There was so much separation that it was wide enough to fill it with the whole OL.

Burnt him to ashes.

Qcard

Reaction score
I put very little stock in these practice videos showing 1 on 1 matchups. For one, there is no real pass rush on the QB. Secondly, we don’t always know what they are working on. Sometimes they are actually working on learning new pass routes, blocking schemes, etc. and may not even be attempting real coverage.

Mike McCarthy made this point at a presser last year. Someone asked him if he was concerned about DBs getting beat and he said something to the effect of - “Sometimes we are working on things offensively and the defensive coverage isn’t the focus.”

Training camp videos are fun. But buyer beware. It doesn’t come with an explanation of what the situation is they are practicing. That’s why I don’t always put a ton of stock in practice videos.
:hammer:

Parcells did the same thing....

I remember how the forum focused on every pass during the Quincy, Chad, Drew and etc QB training camp competitions:lmao2::lmao2:

This drill isn't about defense coverage nor technique....barely any REAL DB jams off the line...

Qcard

Reaction score
What you talking about Turpin burnt him like toast and the ball was under-thrown.There was so much separation that it was wide enough to fill it with the whole OL.

Burnt him to ashes.

Or maybe Turpin ran a family cookout Route....just run fast!!

The fault could be the QBs or WRs, timing is required on Go routes too..

Turpin in my opinion ran an unprofessional 4 route...If you know your faster you don't always explode...

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Burnt him to ashes.

That should have been defensive pass interference on Anthony Brown. Brown his Turpin across the left arm right before the football reached Turpin.

Regardless, Turpin had Brown beat by 2-3 yards before the pass arrived slightly underthrown. Should have been a wide open easy TD if thrown long enough.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I see it like playing defense during home street Saturday afternoons where it's you vs the opposing player. If you're getting beat, YOU are the problem. Stick with him or get someone else out there who can.

Let's not make excuses for DBs getting torched during 1-on-1s. If you know the WR is faster than you, do your job and make sure you jam him at the line of scrimmage to throw him off/slow him down in order to give you a fighting chance to cover him. If you fail, that's on you. No excuses. Get your butt to work. That's what training camp is for. Cover him 1-on-1.

glimmerman

Reaction score
They say when they do certain drills it favors the WRs and helps sharpen the DBs skills. The other day the Defense feasted.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
Easy to spot Turpin on the field. He’s almost a midg....wait, what do you call them Jerry??

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
The most troubling thing to me watching this is the receivers having to slow up on deep routes because the ball is late or not out in front of them.