DC: 20 Questions: How Will Scandrick’s Return From Injury Impact Defense?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
hero_20q.jpg

20 Questions: How Will Scandrick’s Return From Injury Impact Defense?
Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:28 PM CDT
By DallasCowboys.com Report

The Cowboys have completed their OTAs and minicamp practices. The offseason is history. Training camp in Oxnard is up next in late July.

The staff writers at DallasCowboys.com – Rob Phillips, David Helman, Nick Eatman and Bryan Broaddus – are attempting to answer 20 pressing questions as the team gets ready for camp and the 2016 season.

Today, our staff continues the series with a focus on cornerbackOrlando Scandrick and how his return from injury will impact the defense in 2016.Read

No. 11 – How Will Scandrick’s Return Affect Cowboys’ Defense?

Bryan Broaddus: One of the biggest fears of a scout during training camp, is losing one of your key players before the season even kicks off. Some positions have the depth to withstand that type of loss - while others do not. The loss ofOrlando Scandrick took the club’s best defensive back off the field in both the base and nickel defenses, which left Rod Marinelli and the staff scrambling to replace him. Bodies were thrown at his position but no one was able to match the talent and skill which showed in those games where one or two stops were needed to get off the field and close the game out. With Scandrick back in the lineup, Marinelli can procced with his plan of playing him on the left side and moving Brandon Carr to the right side in order to protect him in the scheme from having to deal with the ball consistently coming in his direction. It will also give him the confidence to have a reliable slot player that can not only carry his man all over the field but also bring on that occasional blitz to disrupt the quarterback which they missed without him in the lineup.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...will-scandrick’s-return-injury-impact-defense

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I've been told repeatedly by a poster on here that he was just a slot CB.

So I'm guessing very little impact.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been told repeatedly by a poster on here that he was just a slot CB.

So I'm guessing very little impact.

Yeah, I keep seeing how we have no defense too. I think many will be surprised. May not be top 10 but they will be better than most think. Even if they improve from around 15th to top 12 will be a big boost.
Those "fans" saying this, that we have no D, probably hope so, so they can say they told us. But hopefully they will just go away...:laugh:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Who said that? They can't watch many Cowboy games.

Risen. He said it several times. He was very adamant. Thought I was dumb for thinking his loss had an impact.

He's very smart though, ask him.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Yeah, I keep seeing how we have no defense too. I think many will be surprised. May not be top 10 but they will be better than most think. Even if they improve from around 15th to top 12 will be a big boost.
Those "fans" saying this, that we have no D, probably hope so, so they can say they told us. But hopefully they will just go away...:laugh:
I agree about the D. It wasn't as bad as many think. Especially, considering the horrible offense which kept them on the field and never scored. Which had to be somewhat demoralizing.

I'm afraid we'll always have to deal with those team-self loathing fans. It will be interesting to see if and how they change if we can ever manage sustained success. I think we have a decent chance to start that now.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Risen. He said it several times. He was very adamant. Thought I was dumb for thinking his loss had an impact.

He's very smart though, ask him.

Ah. I missed that. Not sure Risen knows what CBs do in the first place. He thinks they're an overrated position, right?

Either way, Scandrick was a huge loss last year. It'll be great to have him back. If he delegates Carr to RCB and still plays at a high level, that's something we've been looking to see for years.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Another important thing to note... Scandy coming back means we can keep Jones at FS. A lot of the reason we played Jones at CB so much last year was because we were in desperate need of a good CB.

Yes, there's a ripple effect for a few players with OScan back.
It should help a good bit--not a total game-changer, but certainly a nice upgrade.

The total game changer would be the return of the QB:flagwave: