News: DC: 5 Second-Year Players To Watch For The Cowboys

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5 Second-Year Players To Watch For The Cowboys

sdfnjfjydasaxclflv08

Besides reigning NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Micah Parsons, here are five more second-year on the Cowboys roster who could have a larger role for the Cowboys in 2022.

Jabril Cox
Cox, a fourth-round pick last year, only played seven games and nine total defensive snaps before tearing the ACL in his right knee on Halloween night against the Vikings. His injury rehab is going well, and it sounds like the Cowboys have larger plans for him in 2022.

"Should be a big plus for us this year. Will fill right in where Keanu (Neal) left off," Cowboys chief operating officer Stephen Jones told reporters last month. "A good offseason will be good for him. Really like his upside."

Josh Ball
Let's circle back to what head coach Mike McCarthy said about Ball 360 days ago when the Cowboys drafted the 23-year-old offensive tackle in the fourth round:

"I feel he has left tackle traits," McCarthy said. "That's clearly why he was so attractive to us, particularly at that point. Hopefully he can be a swing tackle because when you get to the 53 (full roster), now the next challenge is how does a player get up to the 48 (game day active roster)? The swing tackle is obviously very important in the eight offensive linemen that you keep up on game day."

The Cowboys never got a full read on Ball's potential last year. He injured his ankle just as the padded practices began in training camp. He spent his entire rookie season on injured reserve. He never got to play in any of the four preseason games, either.

At the moment, though, the Cowboys don't appear to have a clear choice at swing tackle.

Kelvin Joseph
Injury didn't derail Joseph's rookie year quite like Ball's season-long absence, but the 2021 second-round pick did miss the first six games with a groin injury suffered in the preseason finale against Jacksonville. Anthony Brown had already edged Joseph for a starting cornerback job by that point, but the injury did delay his progress.

Joseph debuted on Halloween against the Vikings but didn't play regular snaps on defense until Dec. 26 against Washington while Jourdan Lewis was in COVID-19 protocol. Joseph had a tackle for loss and a pass breakup in that game and followed up with nine tackles against the Eagles two weeks later.

Chauncey Golston
It looked like a new deal for Randy Gregory was going to happen. It didn't. Gregory went to Denver, and the Cowboys decided to recreate his production (6.0 sacks, 30 pressures) by signing Fowler and re-signing Dorance Armstrong to a two-year deal.

Edge rusher could be a priority at some point in the draft, too. But it's also possible that Golston, a 2021 third-round pick, sees an uptick in snaps after averaging just under 30 in 15 games last year.

Golston missed all of training camp and preseason, plus the first two games of the season, with a hamstring injury. A full offseason should help.

Quinton Bohanna
The Cowboys' run defense was vastly improved from 2020, when they allowed the second-most rushing yards in franchise history, but it can still improve. And there's always a place for a 300-plus-pound run stuffer in the middle of the defensive line.

That's why the Cowboys drafted Bohanna in the sixth round last year: to hopefully occupy two blockers and create space for others to make plays. He didn't have a huge role in the rotation (just under 20% of the defensive snaps) and finished the season with 12 tackles and one pressure. But it'll be interesting to see if he can earn a few more snaps, especially if veteran Brent Urban isn't re-signed and/or the Cowboys don't invest an early draft pick at defensive tackle.

Read Full Story

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

sdfnjfjydasaxclflv08

Besides reigning NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Micah Parsons, here are five more second-year on the Cowboys roster who could have a larger role for the Cowboys in 2022.

Jabril Cox
Cox, a fourth-round pick last year, only played seven games and nine total defensive snaps before tearing the ACL in his right knee on Halloween night against the Vikings. His injury rehab is going well, and it sounds like the Cowboys have larger plans for him in 2022.

"Should be a big plus for us this year. Will fill right in where Keanu (Neal) left off," Cowboys chief operating officer Stephen Jones told reporters last month. "A good offseason will be good for him. Really like his upside."

Josh Ball
Let's circle back to what head coach Mike McCarthy said about Ball 360 days ago when the Cowboys drafted the 23-year-old offensive tackle in the fourth round:

"I feel he has left tackle traits," McCarthy said. "That's clearly why he was so attractive to us, particularly at that point. Hopefully he can be a swing tackle because when you get to the 53 (full roster), now the next challenge is how does a player get up to the 48 (game day active roster)? The swing tackle is obviously very important in the eight offensive linemen that you keep up on game day."

The Cowboys never got a full read on Ball's potential last year. He injured his ankle just as the padded practices began in training camp. He spent his entire rookie season on injured reserve. He never got to play in any of the four preseason games, either.

At the moment, though, the Cowboys don't appear to have a clear choice at swing tackle.

Kelvin Joseph
Injury didn't derail Joseph's rookie year quite like Ball's season-long absence, but the 2021 second-round pick did miss the first six games with a groin injury suffered in the preseason finale against Jacksonville. Anthony Brown had already edged Joseph for a starting cornerback job by that point, but the injury did delay his progress.

Joseph debuted on Halloween against the Vikings but didn't play regular snaps on defense until Dec. 26 against Washington while Jourdan Lewis was in COVID-19 protocol. Joseph had a tackle for loss and a pass breakup in that game and followed up with nine tackles against the Eagles two weeks later.

Chauncey Golston
It looked like a new deal for Randy Gregory was going to happen. It didn't. Gregory went to Denver, and the Cowboys decided to recreate his production (6.0 sacks, 30 pressures) by signing Fowler and re-signing Dorance Armstrong to a two-year deal.

Edge rusher could be a priority at some point in the draft, too. But it's also possible that Golston, a 2021 third-round pick, sees an uptick in snaps after averaging just under 30 in 15 games last year.

Golston missed all of training camp and preseason, plus the first two games of the season, with a hamstring injury. A full offseason should help.

Quinton Bohanna
The Cowboys' run defense was vastly improved from 2020, when they allowed the second-most rushing yards in franchise history, but it can still improve. And there's always a place for a 300-plus-pound run stuffer in the middle of the defensive line.

That's why the Cowboys drafted Bohanna in the sixth round last year: to hopefully occupy two blockers and create space for others to make plays. He didn't have a huge role in the rotation (just under 20% of the defensive snaps) and finished the season with 12 tackles and one pressure. But it'll be interesting to see if he can earn a few more snaps, especially if veteran Brent Urban isn't re-signed and/or the Cowboys don't invest an early draft pick at defensive tackle.

Read Full Story
This is a chance to improve after our free agency losses.
This and the draft, as we have done little in free agency

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

sdfnjfjydasaxclflv08

Jabril Cox

Josh Ball

Kelvin Joseph

Chauncey Golston

Quinton Bohanna

Read Full Story
Thank you for posting this WG, its nice to get back on track.
I agree with the list entirely but for even more intrigue I would also include ..
Osa
Nahshon Wright
Israel Mukuamu
This draft class really has a chance of being special IMHO.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Call me crazy (hey watch it!) but I think all 5 contribute this year. Solid draft picks who have been around a year now and understand how the pro game is played now. Just get them healthy and watch their production in preseason.
Makes you wonder how much authority or "respect' McClay is actually receiving now.
There is a loyalty with WM, and he seems happy with the deal, he prefers to stay in his role and understands that his role is to keep evaluating and build the draft board so that Jerry and SJ can take the credit.
He is cool with that, and comfortable, and as fans we should all be thankful that at least one person in this franchise doesnt live solely for all the credit.
WM is like an idiot savant silent partner if you will.
He is an interesting and valuable asset to this FO, McClay might be getting more respect now because it seems as though that draft fell right off his rankings in that order.
I remember watching the draft and saying to a friend of mine that it was like Will was making the picks.
I could be completely wrong, but I really hope that I am not.
There will be many in this house that wont take the time or have the interest to read this entire post, but for those of you that keep a keen eye and have read this far,,
This draft will be very interesting in verifying what I have stated.
WM is the silent partner that finally has more respect that is deserved when pulling the trigger.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Makes you wonder how much authority or "respect' McClay is actually receiving now.
There is a loyalty with WM, and he seems happy with the deal, he prefers to stay in his role and understands that his role is to keep evaluating and build the draft board so that Jerry and SJ can take the credit.
He is cool with that, and comfortable, and as fans we should all be thankful that at least one person in this franchise doesnt live solely for all the credit.
WM is like an idiot savant silent partner if you will.
He is an interesting and valuable asset to this FO, McClay might be getting more respect now because it seems as though that draft fell right off his rankings in that order.
I remember watching the draft and saying to a friend of mine that it was like Will was making the picks.
I could be completely wrong, but I really hope that I am not.
There will be many in this house that wont take the time or have the interest to read this entire post, but for those of you that keep a keen eye and have read this far,,
This draft will be very interesting in verifying what I have stated.
WM is the silent partner that finally has more respect that is deserved when pulling the trigger.
I think dan had a strong input too, and is why we got better def players in draft and FA last year.

morasp

Reaction score
"The Cowboys' run defense was vastly improved from 2020, when they allowed the second-most rushing yards in franchise history, but it can still improve."

The last part can't be overstated. The 49ers ran all over them. It should be one of the top priorities this offseason. I was encouraged to see that Godzilla was one of the 30 visits.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
"The Cowboys' run defense was vastly improved from 2020, when they allowed the second-most rushing yards in franchise history, but it can still improve."

The last part can't be overstated. The 49ers ran all over them. It should be one of the top priorities this offseason. I was encouraged to see that Godzilla was one of the 30 visits.

You can't argue with an upward trendo_O (Rome day built). It's interesting that this thread mentions Bohanna, Osa (and id add Gallimore), as three young DT's.

You could make an argument that Bohanna is worth persevering, as with Osa he may well have got tired to the end of the season...Interesting to note he didnt play vrs 49ers.

Id agree that we could do with another run blocking 1 big NT (vrs 49ers we only had Gallimore, Osa and Hill at DT)....but probably wouldnt identify it as a "top" priority. I would say we need a veteran big bodied (2 down) run blocker 2 to complement the young DT corp we have.....Urban only played the first 6 games of the season, which incidentally coincided with our best run stopping stats.

morasp

Reaction score
You can't argue with an upward trendo_O (Rome day built). It's interesting that this thread mentions Bohanna, Osa (and id add Gallimore), as three young DT's.

You could make an argument that Bohanna is worth persevering, as with Osa he may well have got tired to the end of the season...Interesting to note he didnt play vrs 49ers.

Id agree that we could do with another run blocking 1 big NT (vrs 49ers we only had Gallimore, Osa and Hill at DT)....but probably wouldnt identify it as a "top" priority. I would say we need a veteran big bodied (2 down) run blocker 2 to complement the young DT corp we have.....Urban only played the first 6 games of the season, which incidentally coincided with our best run stopping stats.
That's fine if you're content with just getting to the playoffs. A mediocre run defense might get you into the playoffs but once you get there you've got to be able to stop the run, teams are a lot better. The two Superbowl teams had the 5th and 6th ranked run defenses we were a putrid 16th.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Let's hope Josh Ball overcomes his ankle woes and at least proves himself fully capable of winning the swing left tackle spot. He was believed to possess LT traits upon being drafted. Hopefully, that belief will be fortified when training camp gives this 2nd year player the green light to prove himself. I'm fairly confident an OT will be drafted at some point in the upcoming draft. That competition will hopefully produce a worthwhile player or 2 at OT this year.

Last edited:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Call me crazy (hey watch it!) but I think all 5 contribute this year. Solid draft picks who have been around a year now and understand how the pro game is played now. Just get them healthy and watch their production in preseason.
Ok your crazy!!!!, lol
But I agree with your post so we're both nuts...

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It takes at least 2-3 years before you know what kind of draft class a team has in any given year. Year two for the guys we drafted last year will certainly tell us a lot more about these guys.

An NFL draft is considered good when 2 players become long term starters and attain some pro bowl type honors. A great draft is when you get 3 or more. Too early to tell but obviously Parsons is special. If at least two more are long term starters, this will be a great draft. We will see.