DC.COM Blog: Mick Shots: Becoming Partial To The Run

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posted by mickshot at 11/17/2008 6:58 PM CST on truebluefanclub.com

* The first time around when the Commanders loaded the box with eight players, the Cowboys had run-pass checks Tony Romo could make at the line of scrimmage, and that got them out of several runs, with Romo ending up throwing the ball 47 times. This time, running backs coach Skip Peete said they went with run-run-pass checks, allowing Romo to check from one run play to another – like those tosses to the outside to Marion Barber. “This time we said, ‘Just run it,’” Peete said.

* Here is another thing that helped the Cowboys better run the ball against the Commanders, who wanted to crowd the line of scrimmage with strong safety Chris Horton, who now has given up two touchdowns to Cowboys tight ends in two games: Having Terrell Owens and Roy Williams lined up wide. You don’t want to consistently get into singling both guys so you can load up against the run.

* The Cowboys now have two players in the top 10 in sacks in the NFC, DeMarcus Ware tied for first with 11 and nose tackle Jay Ratliff tied for 10th with six.

[FONT=verdana,geneva]Mickey Spagnola[/FONT]

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2428122 said:
* The first time around when the Commanders loaded the box with eight players, the Cowboys had run-pass checks Tony Romo could make at the line of scrimmage, and that got them out of several runs, with Romo ending up throwing the ball 47 times. This time, running backs coach Skip Peete said they went with run-run-pass checks, allowing Romo to check from one run play to another – like those tosses to the outside to Marion Barber. “This time we said, ‘Just run it,’” Peete said.

:bravo:

FCBarca

Reaction score
I saw a couple of times where the skins would feign 7 or 8 in the box and then see the safeties sprint back into coverage before the snap...It was clear they wanted to get Dallas to abandon the run

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
The Roy Williams affect has begun. Wait till he and Romo get some chemistry. It will be futile to stack the box then.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
percyhoward;2428630 said:
Another thing that helped the run game:

Curtis 2 plays
Procter none

Curtis needs to be thankful I'm not the coach. He'd be in my doghouse bigtime. Here is where we do miss Fasano. He wasn't the best blocker but he was adequate. Curtis is starting to really piss me off. I don't say things like that about players often either.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Curtis is definitly hurting our running game the past few weeks. Proctor should be lucky he is still on the team. If I were Jerry, I would probably be drafting a C who can also play C this offseason.

We need a guy like an undersized OT to be our 3rd TE, Bennett and Witten are too good of receivers to not have a special teamer, blocking guy behind them.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
jobberone;2428634 said:
Curtis is starting to really piss me off.
I know, he still played 2 plays too many.

Curtis was in there for 3rd down on our first series (three and out). He and Colombo both missed their blocks on a toss right. Colombo, to his credit, didn't miss anything else the rest of the night. Garrett, to HIS credit, didn't give Curtis the chance.

The next four times we ran toss right, we got 33 yards from it. More than 8 per carry. The last time we ran it was the 4th-and-1 at the end of the game, when Roy Williams blocked two guys and screened off another.

Thanks for the suggestion, Bum!:D

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score

Curtis 2 plays
Procter none
And one of the plays Curtis was in on, he whiffed big time and it went for no gain or a loss as a result. Dude shouldn't be on an NFL roster.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
percyhoward;2428669 said:
I know, he still played 2 plays too many.

Curtis was in there for 3rd down on our first series (three and out). He and Colombo both missed their blocks on a toss right. Colombo, to his credit, didn't miss anything else the rest of the night. Garrett, to HIS credit, didn't give Curtis the chance.

The next four times we ran toss right, we got 33 yards from it. More than 8 per carry. The last time we ran it was the 4th-and-1 at the end of the game, when Roy Williams blocked two guys and screened off another.

Thanks for the suggestion, Bum!:D

That play I remember. He didn't even try to hit that outside guy and turned up field to do.....nothing. His guy tackled MB. It's not one play. I've watched him and he just doesn't get physical enough and looks like he doesn't care. I can't remember the other play but it was the same. Just didn't hit anyone.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
jobberone;2428692 said:
It's not one play. I've watched him and he just doesn't get physical enough and looks like he doesn't care.
preachin to the choir, doc.:D

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I say that we play-action-pass the hell outta teams.... keep them off balance on EVERY friggin play

Establishing a run game will just cause this offense to EXPLODE on defensive secondaries.... TO/Roy/Witt/Marty/Austin... etc....

groo

Reaction score
wasn't Curtis also the guy who missed his block on the punt in OT of the ARZ game and got McBriar injured?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score

Curtis 2 plays
Procter none

I noticed we had a lot of success running right all game long. :)

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2428881 said:
I noticed we had a lot of success running right all game long. :)
I loved it. Would love to have seen more of it. (Davis and Colombo are drawing paychecks, after all.)

Bottom line though, another defensive win. Score 14 or less 4 games in-a-row, and you're lucky to go 2-2.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
percyhoward;2428886 said:
I loved it. Would love to have seen more of it. (Davis and Colombo are drawing paychecks, after all.)

Bottom line though, another defensive win. Score 14 or less 4 games in-a-row, and you're lucky to go 2-2.

well Romo is obviously getting back into his game and this was against a division rival.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
percyhoward;2428694 said:
preachin to the choir, doc.:D

I'm just agreeing and expounding mostly venting. He's another who's pissing me off some.