DC.COM Blog: Phillips Gives A Few Game-Day Hints

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phillips Gives A Few Game-Day Hints
Posted by nickeatman at 9/26/2008 11:32 AM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

[FONT=verdana,geneva]Friday’s press conferences here at Valley Ranch aren’t usually too long, but there’s always a little information stemming from head coach Wade Phillips. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Although he was trying to hide his game plan for the Commanders game, Phillips did give a few hints for Sunday [/FONT]

• [FONT=verdana,geneva]Guard Montrae Holland is expected to play some on the left side, replacing Cory Procter for a series or two. Since rotation on the offensive line is very rare in the middle of the game, Phillips said he plans on using Holland for a specific series. He said Holland’s strength is run blocking, so expect him inserted at a time where the Cowboys will like to pound the ball with Marion Barber.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana,geneva]With Sam Hurd likely to play this week after missing the first three games with a high-ankle sprain, the Cowboys might not be able to keep five receivers active. Phillips said there is a way to keep both Hurd and Stanback active. However, if Stanback is inactive, look for rookie Orlando Scandrick to be on the kickoff return team, back deep with Felix Jones. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana,geneva]Tight end Martellus Bennett appeared to injure his left ankle during the first part of Friday’s practice. Bennett had the ankle re-taped. It’s unclear just how effective he was for the rest of practice, which was closed to the media. [/FONT]
  • Tank Johnson, who missed Thursday's practice with a right ankle sprain, was back on the field Friday and appeared ready to practice.
[FONT=times new roman,times]- Nick Eatman[/FONT]

Comments (0) | Permanent Link

sago1

Reaction score
Thought the Cowboys like to run to their right. They ran to their left when Felix went for his 60 yard TD. Sounds more to me like Felix is going to be in there for 1-2 series so they'll send in Holland to replace Proctor. Does that mean they believe Proctor is a better pass blocker then Holland? Or is pass blocking more of an OL together concept and Proctor is more familiar with rest of the OL?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
sago1;2287164 said:
Thought the Cowboys like to run to their right. They ran to their left when Felix went for his 60 yard TD. Sounds more to me like Felix is going to be in there for 1-2 series so they'll send in Holland to replace Proctor. Does that mean they believe Proctor is a better pass blocker then Holland? Or is pass blocking more of an OL together concept and Proctor is more familiar with rest of the OL?

I dont think it has anything to do with who is better at what.

They just want some game tape with him and this group of guys.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Translation: Holland will enter the game when we have a 28 point lead in the 4th quarter and start pulling our starters.

;)

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2287179 said:
Translation: Holland will enter the game when we have a 28 point lead in the 4th quarter and start pulling our starters.

;)

Translation: Washington Sucks

Doomsday101

Reaction score
sago1;2287164 said:

ESPN showed that play and also showed how the Cowboys set the play up. Dallas does like to run to the right and did so many times and then came back and hit Green Bay with a counter play which caught GB over pursuing to the right as the O-line blocked as if we were going to the right only to have Felix counter to the backside of the play. The biggest key was the block of Witten on the DE and that of Owens

speedkilz88

Reaction score
sago1;2287164 said:
I think they are just leery of putting a guy out there who is new to the offense trying to protect their franchise qb. One mistake could knock Romo out for the season. Someone posted Hollands sack totals given up a while back and he's given up very few(better than Kosier last year).

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I hope bennet is ok. He has a been very good blocking in the run game and with anderson down, we cant take any more hits.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think there will be some evaluation of side players during this game to see how they perform. You know, this is really just another pre-season game.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
sago1;2287164 said:

I doubt they are subbed in together.

Barber is probably going to be the back in the game when we sub in Holland. Holland is a straight ahead blocker not a movement guy. He is a better fit behind the more patient Barber than the quick hitter, Jones.

fortdick

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2287179 said:

;)

Fourth Quarter, don't you mean Second Quarter? Or are we going to hold back so that Zorn doesn't lose his job?

khiladi

Reaction score
I have a feeling Holland will be playing alot this year. Wade singled him out specifically in the PC, especially as it relates to run-blocking. He also said he was pretty good at pass-blocking.

This OL is going to get better and better by years end...

reddyuta

Reaction score
we need bennett to run our 3 TE set.we were realy good running from it against GB.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
sago1;2287164 said:

I think it's more about Washington's scheme on defense. The offensive line really has to be on top of its reads in pass protection against the Skins. Proctor makes the right decisions, even if he can't always hold his blocks, while Holland probably can better hold his blocks, but it doesn't do much good if he's not always making the right reads.