DC.COM Blog: Witten Still Limited With Ankle Injury/Stanback to IR; Hannah signed

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten Still Limited With Ankle Injury
Posted by nickeatman at 12/26/2008 10:55 AM CST on truebluefanclub.com

He’s played through a fractured rib, a severe chest contusion, a bum knee and now a sprained right ankle. So to think Jason Witten will miss Sunday’s showdown in Philadelphia is definitely unlikely.

Even head coach Wade Phillips expects him to play.But Phillips said that Witten has remained “real limited” in practice. Phillips said he’s not sure just how much the Pro Bowl tight will be able to contribute against the Eagles.

With Witten banged up, the Cowboys might rely on rookie Martellus Bennett more this week, along with third tight end Tony Curtis. And the club could also get the services of Rodney Hannah, who has been on the practice squad for the last two seasons. However, it’s likely the Cowboys could sign Hannah to the active roster today.

To do so, they would need to clear a spot on the 53-man roster, possibly place a guy on injured reserve. Since the practice squad players became free agents at the end of the season, teams will often protect a coveted player and place him on the active roster if a spot becomes available, insuring he will remain with club heading into the off-season.

As for other injured players, Phillips said that running back Marion Barber is “still a game-time decision like he’s been the last few weeks.” Barber is still bothered b y a dislocated toe that forced him to miss the Dec. 7 game in Pittsburgh and has kept him from starting each of the last two games.

- Nick Eatman

Comments (33) | Permanent Link

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stanback To Injured Reserve; Hannah Signed

Posted by rphillips at 12/26/2008 2:08 PM CST on truebluefanclub.com

With tight end Jason Witten limited by a sprained ankle this week, the Cowboys signed tight end Rodney Hannah from their practice squad and placed wide receiver Isaiah Stanback on injured reserve.

Witten practiced again Friday and is expected to play, but Hannah at least provides some insurance in addition to backup tight ends Martellus Bennett and Tony Curtis.

Stanback has played with a shoulder subluxation that will require surgery at some point. The Cowboys still have four relatively healthy receivers on the 53-man roster (Terrell Owens, Roy Williams, Patrick Crayton and Miles Austin).

-Rob Phillips

Comments (0) | Permanent Link

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I saw stanback in full gear running routes last night on the news.

Stinks for him. I hope pacman and austin stay healthy going forward, if we go forward.

links18

Reaction score
And I was hoping this week would be Stanback's breakout game. We signed Hannah? Is Tony Curtis even still on the team?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I'm so over Stanback and his lack of ability to stay on the field.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if the Stanback experiment continues into the 2009 season?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
stasheroo;2524769 said:
I wonder if the Stanback experiment continues into the 2009 season?

there is no reason it wouldnt since he can return kicks.

Unless we bring in another wr who can return kicks also.

Its sam hurd who is out next season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theebs;2524776 said:
there is no reason it wouldnt since he can return kicks.

Unless we bring in another wr who can return kicks also.

Its sam hurd who is out next season.

I would definitely agree about Hurd, but I'm not sure that Stanback is safe either.

It's not like he was a major asset in the return game and was quite often a gameday 'scratch' even when the team had injuries at the receiver position.

Like Free, I think that's a sign of how little faith the staff has in him to contribute.

Personally, I'd like to see a receiver with a bit more agility added to the mix in contrast to the striders the team currently has.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Stanback has shown virtually nothing in 2 years in what little time he hasn't been injured.

I'd say he's very doubtful to make next year's squad.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
stasheroo;2524785 said:
I would definitely agree about Hurd, but I'm not sure that Stanback is safe either.

It's not like he was a major asset in the return game and was quite often a gameday 'scratch' even when the team had injuries at the receiver position.

Like Free, I think that's a sign of how little faith the staff has in him to contribute.

Personally, I'd like to see a receiver with a bit more agility added to the mix in contrast to the striders the team currently has.

Great point and I agree completely. We need an underneath receiver with a little wiggle.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2524798 said:
Great point and I agree completely. We need an underneath receiver with a little wiggle.
DCAmendola0502.jpg

:D

Unfortunately, intermediate routes don't seem to exist in our playbook.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2524800 said:
DCAmendola0502.jpg

:D

Unfortunately, intermediate routes don't seem to exist in our playbook.

:muttley:

Hopefully, we snag a WR in the draft....Stanback what a waste of a roster spot.

dirtycallahan

Reaction score
coluld stanback be a worse back up qb than brad johnson? he needs to learn how to hold for kicks at least.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
we have one of the best 4-WR groups in the NFL, and we're struggling on offense

something has got to give

1fisher

Reaction score
dirtycallahan;2524804 said:
coluld stanback be a worse back up qb than brad johnson? he needs to learn how to hold for kicks at least.

that would be cool! we'd be the first team with someone with dreds holding for xp's!
:)

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Time to part ways with Stanback... that's a project going nowhere.

Dallas would be better off making a trade for Johnnie Lee Higgins Jr. He's at least proven himself on the field already.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
I don't understand the venom directed toward Stanback. When was he supposed to see the field? He has 4 recievers better than he is but that makes him a failure? I just don't get it. Why hate on a guy who is doing everything he can.

Big D

Reaction score
EPL0c0;2524883 said:
Time to part ways with Stanback... that's a project going nowhere.

Dallas would be better off making a trade for Johnnie Lee Higgins Jr. He's at least proven himself on the field already.

I like how this guy thinks.