News: DC.com Mailbag: Changes To The Offense This Year?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mailbag: Changes To The Offense This Year?

xb3enekr5ijj98ngxdaz

What major differences will there be between Mike McCarthy's offensive style and what we have seen from Jason Garrett's offense? —JOHN FORE / SAN MARCOS, TX

Nick: Good question and hopefully we'll find out soon enough. I think you can have a philosophy all day long, but at the end of the day, it's about the players. And don't forget that McCarthy had Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers as his two quarterbacks in Green Bay. So what worked there, might not work here. I do think he likes to spread the offense out more than Garrett. You shouldn't see as much "13" personnel with the three-tight end sets. I think it'll be spread to use the width of the field more than we've seen with Garrett. But don't think he's going to abandon the running game.

David: It's a great question for a variety of reasons. Firstly, because the Cowboys' offense has been heavily influenced by Scott Linehan and then Kellen Moore in the years since Garrett surrendered play calling duties. Secondly, because Mike McCarthy has vowed to mesh his preferences with what Moore has already put in place. We know McCarthy is a West Coast Offense disciple, which means a ton of focus on timing and shorter runs, rather than an over-reliance on the vertical passing game. Does that mean Dallas is going to overhaul what already worked last year? I doubt it. But I would expect we'll notice the difference. Hopefully, with three Pro Bowl-caliber receivers in the lineup, McCarthy helps the Cowboys get away from that 1995, ground-and-pound mentality.

Read Full Story

shabazz

Reaction score
NICK; "And don't forget that McCarthy had Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers as his two quarterbacks in Green Bay. So what worked there, might not work here."

That quote pretty much sums up the whole article..........MM will have to simplify the Offense for Dakota. Lots of big pictures in the playbook will be helpful and less timing routes

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
NICK; "And don't forget that McCarthy had Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers as his two quarterbacks in Green Bay. So what worked there, might not work here."

That quote pretty much sums up the whole article..........MM will have to simplify the Offense for Dakota. Lots of big pictures in the playbook will be helpful and less timing routes
What a bunch of bunk. McCarthy’s shorter/quicker West Coast passing philosophy should be easier for Dak to pick up and execute, especially with 3 stud starting WRs all out on the field. Plus, it makes it easier for our Oline to where they won't have to hold their blocks for as long.

The one player who should be worried is Zeke Elliott since the 90s Cowboys "run heavy" philosophy won't be used as often. If Dak and the WRs flourish under McCarthy’s new system, I can see Zeke being used as trade bait come next year in 2021, especially if Tony Pollard truly improves his performance both in the run and pass game this season.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Favre was a gunslinger and Rodgers a spoiled brat that did not listen. And yet MM still won with both.
Just think what he can do with a QB that will actually play within the game plan.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What a bunch of bunk. McCarthy’s shorter/quicker West Coast passing philosophy should be easier for Dak to pick up and execute, especially with 3 stud starting WRs all out on the field. Plus, it makes it easier for our Oline to where they won't have to hold their blocks for as long.

The one player who should be worried is Zeke Elliott since the 90s Cowboys "run heavy" philosophy won't be used as often. If Dak and the WRs flourish under McCarthy’s new system, I can see Zeke being used as trade bait come next year in 2021, especially if Tony Pollard truly improves his performance both in the run and pass game this season.

Zeke as trade bait, no freaking way. MM never had a RB in GB to utilize as he does here.
Run heavy offense not used as often....where were you last year when they did not know when to run enough sometimes.

I would have given you a like if you left off after the 1st paragraph. :laugh: Completely agree with that part.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Spreading the field will be a good thing but if MM starts doing his short pass crap that will hurt the team some and certainly will hurt Daks numbers. I think overall if we go too much west coast the offense will be much less effective than with the downfield style Garrett used.

Master22

Reaction score
Whatever scheme is used, can they make the correct adjustments? I recall two separate games last year where an adjustment could have won the game... When Dak and the WR's are moving through the air well, why keep sending Zeke up the gut for nothing? When Zeke is taking chunks on the ground, why force the passing when it wasn't working?

Dre11

Reaction score
Favre was a gunslinger and Rodgers a spoiled brat that did not listen. And yet MM still won with both.
Just think what he can do with a QB that will actually play within the game plan.

Or Favre and Rodgers made it easy. nobody is doubting their place in history as great players.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Mailbag: Changes To The Offense This Year?

xb3enekr5ijj98ngxdaz

What major differences will there be between Mike McCarthy's offensive style and what we have seen from Jason Garrett's offense? —JOHN FORE / SAN MARCOS, TX

Nick: Good question and hopefully we'll find out soon enough. I think you can have a philosophy all day long, but at the end of the day, it's about the players. And don't forget that McCarthy had Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers as his two quarterbacks in Green Bay. So what worked there, might not work here. I do think he likes to spread the offense out more than Garrett. You shouldn't see as much "13" personnel with the three-tight end sets. I think it'll be spread to use the width of the field more than we've seen with Garrett. But don't think he's going to abandon the running game.

David: It's a great question for a variety of reasons. Firstly, because the Cowboys' offense has been heavily influenced by Scott Linehan and then Kellen Moore in the years since Garrett surrendered play calling duties. Secondly, because Mike McCarthy has vowed to mesh his preferences with what Moore has already put in place. We know McCarthy is a West Coast Offense disciple, which means a ton of focus on timing and shorter runs, rather than an over-reliance on the vertical passing game. Does that mean Dallas is going to overhaul what already worked last year? I doubt it. But I would expect we'll notice the difference. Hopefully, with three Pro Bowl-caliber receivers in the lineup, McCarthy helps the Cowboys get away from that 1995, ground-and-pound mentality.

Read Full Story
Our offense changed after game 4 for no apparent reason and never went back. No more PA, no more misdirection (or very little) ...... mediocre just like Garrett and his entire staff minus Kellen and and a few others.

Dre11

Reaction score
Our offense changed after game 4 for no apparent reason and never went back. No more PA, no more misdirection (or very little) ...... mediocre just like Garrett and his entire staff minus Kellen and and a few others.

ok...lol

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or Favre and Rodgers made it easy. nobody is doubting their place in history as great players.

I do not doubt their place in history, I was not saying that.
Just giving another perspective that played a part in the success of them and MM.

Creeper

Reaction score
I used to read DC.com every day. But no one on that website has any more football knowledge or intelligence than some of the people posting on this site. They are speculating just like we do. That site has become a worthless pile of manure. The only value that site has now is that it employs a few people to keep them off the streets. Go there for the schedule and roster otherwise don't bother. It's clearly not a fan site or they would allow fan comments to their articles. Perhaps a little criticism would help them make it better but they have chosen to make it about them instead of us.

Iago33

Reaction score

I was hoping someone would make this a thread about Dak because I noticed we aren’t talking about him enough recently. Thanks.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly I'm not worried one bit about the offense. Getting the defense to play better and complete overhaul of the special teams will take this team further into January.

quickccc

Reaction score
the biggest difference with McCarthy himself vs Garrett,imo will be better game management, game adjustment, decision making, coaching and accountability.

- Besides a clearly being established experience HC who has a Super Bowl resume to his resume- the other thing is he is a more suitable, reputable offensive mind than Garrett who had this rep as a QB coaching type ala romo, dak but yet his offense can be stagnant after opposing teams eventually adjust to it . and he laid it upon his coordinators without any intervention. there should not be the in house fighting and indifferences as it was going on with Richard, Ben Bloom and the issues with marinelli loyalty.

- also garrett was horrible at game time adjustments whether halftime or in-game , he and his crew too many times did not have a clue of adjusting to the defense or offense and in out remains so predictable because they believe in keeping it simple and just do what we do and man up and beat the other guy across the line vs scheming up to make it difficult to opposing teams, he wasn't that type HC and he wanted that plan and philosophy buried in his coaching staff as well.
there was never evolving and expanding and era advancement with him and staff.

- that's why the plan for kept over Kellen moore who seemed intrigued with the Rams concept in pre=snap motion offense and various formations more frequent RPO's, quicker huddle pace and keeping to run ball in red zone. i thought Kellen brought a fresh approach and design to the offense while coaches such as Kitna worked miracles with Daks' improved mechanics. Only Kellen's scheme and use of RBs in run and pass game remains in question.
This is where MM and RB coach Peete has

- also McCarthy changes to the staff from assistants to coordinators is being counted heavily to be much be better than the Garrett regime.
and for the most part they are reputed position coaches and coordinators. Nolan, Edwards John Fassel, Henry, Peete, Philbin to add with keep overs Moore and Musseheimer.

:thumbup:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I truly believe Prescott has all the tools. It’s about balance though isn’t it

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Honestly I'm not worried one bit about the offense. Getting the defense to play better and complete overhaul of the special teams will take this team further into January.
That’s my issue. Special teams. We traveled an extra 30 yards every single drive last season then other teams . At least it seemed that way. I don’t know the actual statistics

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dink and dunk. And then everybody wanted the offense opened up. And we actually won less games. We lost our identity balance. One word Garrett

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I have no doubt that every player will be better under MM. Even Zeke.