DC.COM: mickshot: This Might Not Be A Field Of Dreams

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
This Might Not Be A Field Of Dreams
Posted by mickshot at 12/3/2008 6:37 PM CST on truebluefanclub.com

Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin playfully said no one knows what they are talking about when asking all these basically unnecessary questions about the conditions of the Heinz Field turf that was sodded over just before Thanksgiving. Now since then, only the Pitt-West Virginia game has been played on the new sod.

“Why do you guys assume our field will be messy?”

Tomlin wondered during Wednesday’s conference call.

“You guys are misinformed. The field is going to be in great shape.”

Really? Since this was not video conferencing, we could not see if tongue was firmly planted in cheek.

But let’s see. The weather forecast for the remainder of the week is calling for an 80-percent chance of rain Wednesday night, a 70-percent chance of rain/snow on Thursday, a 30-percent chance of rain/snow Thursday night . . . want me to continue? Oh, on Friday only a 10 percent chance of precipitation, with a high of 28, and then on Saturday a 30 percent chance of snow showers going up to 40 on Sunday.

Now we’ll assume they use a tarp on Heinz Field, right, so that should prevent all this precipitation from saturating the sod that can’t imagine has grown lengthy roots by now. But once the games starts . . . talk about squishy.

You could almost see quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sort of shrugging his shoulders when he quipped during his portion of Wednesday’s conference call, “Home-field advantage.”

Got that.

Mickey Spagnola

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Man, am I sick of this guy harping on this.

He could be spending this week talking about the historic rivalry, maybe even have some '70's Cowboys on his show. This is a huge game between two franchises that are at the very top in All-Time SB wins, both having good seasons, playing in a game that they both need...

This could be the worst field and the worst playing conditions in the history of football, and that still wouldn't be the story.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
I enjoy the inclement conditions of football. I hope they don't do what they did to the field what they did to the rules in an attempt to make it a more scoring happy game.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Mick loves to be pessimistic when given the opportunity. The field was recently re-sodded a couple of weeks ago. The middle of the field from end zone to end zone is actually in good shape.

Usually around this time of year the field is torn up between the hash marks because Heinz Field is shared with the Pitt Panthers, as well as many high school football games being played their too.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I really wish the Dallas media and to a lesser extent the Cowboys would stop it wth the field conditions. The field looked fine for WVU-Pitt and both teams have to play on it. Plus, the field will slow the Steelers fast defense some.

As for Mickey Meteorologist, as I sit here in my game room at 8:38pm Wedenesday Night 6 miles from the stadium, I have yet to see one drop of his 80% chance of rain.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
parcells316;2459968 said:
I really wish the Dallas media and to a lesser extent the Cowboys would stop it wth the field conditions. The field looked fine for WVU-Pitt and both teams have to play on it. Plus, the field will slow the Steelers fast defense some.

As for Mickey Meteorologist, as I sit here in my game room at 8:38pm Wedenesday Night 6 miles from the stadium, I have yet to see one drop of his 80% chance of rain.

Dry as a bone here as well. Hello parcells316.

rexrobinson

Reaction score
parcells316;2459968 said:
Plus, the field will slow the Steelers fast defense some.

I am glad you pointed that out. It is not like the Steelers have some innate ability to run faster in slop than the rest of the NFL. Both sides of the ball have to deal with this.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
rexrobinson;2459991 said:
I am glad you pointed that out. It is not like the Steelers have some innate ability to run faster in slop than the rest of the NFL. Both sides of the ball have to deal with this.

Once again...the Steelers have the 24th rated offense in the NFL. They can't run it, they can't throw it. They hung 33 on New England because New England gave them the ball 4 consecutive times on their own side of the field, two or three of those in the red zone!

We'll be fine. :star:

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Fletch;2459975 said:
Dry as a bone here as well. Hello parcells316.
I'll be in Section 516 on Sunday in my Witten home jersey taking on some of these towel waving idiots.

FCBarca

Reaction score
In football, I recall the same sort of tactics being employed at Stamford Bridge by Jose Mourinho...It was nicknamed the potato patch to prevent the opposition from gaining an advantage were they able to pass freely (i.e. Barcelona)...Such a scam