DC: Mailbag: Using More Four Wide Receiver Sets? Rookie Position Switch?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
c60cdddc0e2641cf90b8aaecba4ebc7f.jpg

Mailbag: Using More Four Wide Receiver Sets? Rookie Position Switch?
Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:42 AM CDT

DAN BIRD
LAKE WORTH, FL
With Jason Witten getting older (and slower), Zeke's ability to catch the ball and pass block, and the addition of Ryan Switzer as a second slot guy, can you see the Cowboys running more 4 wide sets (Bryant, Williams, Beasley & Switzer)?

Bryan: I can see Switzer more involved with the offense but not at the expense of Witten. The coaching staff doesn't view Witten like you do. Sure he is older and the speed has faded but they don't want to take him off the field regardless. With the way that he can work underneath it's still a nice option for the mobile quarterback.

David: From the day the Cowboys drafted Switzer, I have been intrigued by the possibilities of 10 personnel – that is, four receivers and one running back. Not only would Switzer and Beasley present a mismatch in the passing game, but consider the personnel a defense would have to use to defend them. Any defense that’s defending both Beasley and Switzer would be smart to use either a nickel or dime package, which would then create a fantastic matchup for Ezekiel Elliott to run against. All of that said, I don’t expect Jason Witten to come off the field a whole lot. But it sure would be interesting to watch.

KYLE WALLACE
NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA
So this is kind of an absurd thought I'm sure, but with his size, leverage, and strength, has anyone ever considered giving Dan Skipper a look as a slower, bull rushing type DT who can push the line, get his hands in the air, and generally obscure a QB's view? Would his knowledge of playing the other side be helpful at all in this fantasy transition?

Bryan: I am always a fan of the out-of-the-box thinking, but there is a side of me that believes the coaching staff would like to work with him at offensive tackle. I was concerned that his lack of knee bend was going to be a part of him not playing well, but it wasn't as poor as I saw while he was at Arkansas. A year on practice squad could do him some good.

David: Playing defensive tackle is so much about leverage and getting yourself underneath or around the blocker. I think it’d be extremely hard to do both of those things at Skipper’s height – he is 6’10, after all. I think his best bet is to spend a year honing his skills on the offensive line, especially given the talent he has around to help coach him.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...our-wide-receiver-sets-rookie-position-switch

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Skipper should eventually settle at tackle. Until then he needs snaps to get the feel of the game. Snaps at G will only help him until then.

Switzer needs to be on the field AMAP. You won't see him likely as much as you wish at first. But he'll get significant snaps.

jday

Reaction score
Skipper should eventually settle at tackle. Until then he needs snaps to get the feel of the game. Snaps at G will only help him until then.

Switzer needs to be on the field AMAP. You won't see him likely as much as you wish at first. But he'll get significant snaps.
Well, if the only issue is not wanting to take Witten off the field, they might consider a trips wide (Dez all alone on 1 side and Beasley, Switz and Witten on the trips side) look. That could be a monster to cover on 3rd down and short to intermediate.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Well, if the only issue is not wanting to take Witten off the field, they might consider a trips wide (Dez all alone on 1 side and Beasley, Switz and Witten on the trips side) look. That could be a monster to cover on 3rd down and short to intermediate.

4 outs and a Y works, too. Gotta get the ball out quickly though. Right up Dak's alley though esp with that OL. A few outside rushes and him up a seam in the middle will slow that down enough to matter. Lot's you can do will a QB like him.

jday

Reaction score
4 outs and a Y works, too. Gotta get the ball out quickly though. Right up Dak's alley though esp with that OL. A few outside rushes and him up a seam in the middle will slow that down enough to matter. Lot's you can do will a QB like him.

There was a breakdown that someone contributed recently that logged the various personnel groupings the Cowboys used throughout 2016. I'm pretty sure Neondeon21 (Mosley) did it, but someone else contributed it. Anyway, I was shocked to see that they didn't use the 10 grouping once last year...not even once. I'd imagine with the addition of Switzer, they will probably do it at some point. But I find that shocking because for all that they did to try and make Dak feel at home, you would think they would have done it at least a hand full of times, considering how much they seem to use that look at Mississippi State.

At any rate, with a full season and offseason under Dak's belt, I'd imagine Linehan is going to put the pedal on the floor this year. They are going to have to do something different, because there's quite a few teams that have that game against us circled already on their calendar. They'll have the 2016 Cowboys offensive playbook memorized by now.

To your point, the Quarterback draw from the 10 could be devastating...especially on a designed roll out that sends all the receivers on routes to the opposite side and a bail-out option with Zeke running the parallel flat route...and possibly Witten/Beasley/Switzer running an out route to keep the Safety at home.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If Skipper was to play defense his only real fit would be 3-4 DE and that would only be if he learned to play much lower.