News: DC: Not Much Buzz Around Maliek Collins

quickccc

Reaction score
Maliek got similar hype to Lawrence.

For years we heard Lawrence looks unbelievable and it just never showed up on the field until about 2017.

Collins has been all the buzz for years and when Sundays come up he has just been an ok player.

We have nothing at that position so if we can get him for cheap then i'm all for it. He's still a better then average DT.

I saw that (hype) as total apples and oranges - as with Maliek vs Dlaw, as we didn't trade up in the 2nd round to acquire Collins rights ....as we did with Dlaw's on his draft day.

- Cowboys clearly placed much higher investment and higher ceiling on Dlaw than they did with Collins.

and I saw DLaw development coming on when he collected 8 or 9 sacks - just before the serious back injury came up (along with the PED suspension) .. and
two major serious back surgeries and issues at that which threatened his NFL career.

in fact, i admit that I thought Dlaw career was finished after his mere 1 sack season in 2016, ..and apparently Cowboys were very weary of it too as they did not entice re-signing him to a long term contract
until he proved it with a back to back productive campaigns.

quickccc

Reaction score
Maliek got similar hype to Lawrence.

For years we heard Lawrence looks unbelievable and it just never showed up on the field until about 2017.

Collins has been all the buzz for years and when Sundays come up he has just been an ok player.

We have nothing at that position so if we can get him for cheap then i'm all for it. He's still a better then average DT.

I've heard several fans attributing Maliek's lack of progress because of the ever going foot (or wheels) injuries he seem to be occurring on a yearly basis.
broken foot, hamstring, toe, knee, it was always something goin' on with his wheels and lower body that derailed his game day play.

ironically it was only this past year (albeit in a contract year) that Collins finally stayed healthy for a full 16 game season. And he was still proved just an OK player who
is more an occasional spurt than a guy that will bring it more frequently to prove more of an impact.
but Maliek does have enough physical tools and window-shop splashes to be enough of a marketable commodity in FA.

If the likes of Anthony Hitchen, Damien Wilson, Barry Church, etc. can get their share of big FA long term contracts I can see a DL like Collins getting his own version as well.
yeh it wont be Byron Jones like contract, but I really believe Collins will be paid handsomely as well by another NFL team when the NFL's Free Agency black friday field day breaks out very soon.