DC post draft PC on now

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
+
Stephen said there was a run on secondary players they had rated highly and McGovern was BPA by a long shot at 90.

It's weird.

The team knows it has a weakness at safety, has been very open about it, and then goes another direction with their first pick when lots of options to help are there to be had.

Why are they so reluctant to use resources to address safety?

I agree, but also, get better DL play, will make our already good LB's better, which will even an average S be above average or better.
Too bad we have under average S's but it will make them better.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
That’s great.

But that’s a move a team with a near perfect roster makes.

We have a team that has some clear needs and apparently an OG/C that will likely be a backup and then might start a few years from now was a more important move?

There has to be something coming down the pike - Collins trade, TFred can’t go, something.

It just doesn't square. Even in a true board's-empty-screw-it situation, I don't see why you'd go with a backup OG. Guard might be the deepest position on this team.

Sydla

Reaction score
+
Stephen said there was a run on secondary players they had rated highly and McGovern was BPA by a long shot at 90.

It's weird.

The team knows it has a weakness at safety, has been very open about it, and then goes another direction with their first pick when lots of options to help are there to be had.

Yeah.

When they picked at 58, they had options at S.

And they passed. There was a tweet that said it was believed they thought they could get Harris at 90.

Whoops.

Bluefin

Reaction score
I agree, but also, get better DL play, will make our already good LB's better, which will even an average S be above average or better.
Too bad we have under average S's but it will make them better.
They expect Trysten Hill to challenge to start.

I hope they're right and I hope he's ready, Maliek Collins has been plagued with injuries so far in his career.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Jerry seems to have lost a significant percentage of his brain function.

“The only way to be able to draft into a strength is to keep drafting into that strength. Think about it”

Silence and laughter from everyone in the room.

Jerrah was full of Tom Collins at this point..his last line about 2cnd round OL when we drafted this Connor in the 3rd.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
+

It's weird.

They probably realized all these safeties had issues (which they did) and went with a guy who they felt could be disruptive in both the run and pass game. It is telling most of the safeties dropped like stones.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah.

And they passed. There was a tweet that said it was believed they thought they could get Harris at 90.

Whoops.

It would be very interesting to see all the teams draft boards to see how they ranked players.
And not just this year, but the past 20 years.

Wouldn't it be great to see Dallas against NE or Pittsburgh or some other successful teams over the years.
To see where other teams ranked players according to where we picked them.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I'm fine the G in the 3rd. Our line play last year was not great. Plus we do have some ? marks, like can Smith stay healthy, we were probably losing Collins...hope a safety comes next.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Yeah.

Whoops.
They are just way too content to sit still and let whatever happens, happen.

Strong safety is an eye sore, there's nothing wrong with bundling some picks and going after some help.

And Joudan Lewis just rides the pine because he isn't over 6 feet tall with 32 inch arms. He plays bigger than his size and is a sound tackler, why can't he play safety in obvious passing situations?

Bluefin

Reaction score
They probably realized all these safeties had issues (which they did) and went with a guy who they felt could be disruptive in both the run and pass game. It is telling most of the safeties dropped like stones.
The guy they went with has issues, too.

And Stephen Jones said they was a run of safeties they had rated highly before their third round pick. They just don't seem willing to do anything major to address safety.

It's a strong roster overall, why be hesitant in finding a way to upgrade a known area of weakness?

Last edited:

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
That’s great.

But that’s a move a team with a near perfect roster makes.

We have a team that has some clear needs and apparently an OG/C that will likely be a backup and then might start a few years from now was a more important move?

There has to be something coming down the pike - Collins trade, TFred can’t go, something.
Drafting for needs is what gets you in trouble.

Look at it this way, we drafted a guy who is more than capable of stepping in and starting next year at LG allowing Connor Williams to play RT with Lael walking after this year. Also what happens if Travis Fredrick has a set back? Or Lael doesnt recover well from shoulder surgery? It's been pretty obvious the past 4 years this team goes as far as the Oline takes it.
Who would you have taken late in the 3rd over a 2nd round guard?

Sydla

Reaction score
Drafting for needs is what gets you in trouble.

Look at it this way, we drafted a guy who is more than capable of stepping in and starting next year at LG allowing Connor Williams to play RT with Lael walking after this year. Also what happens if Travis Fredrick has a set back? Or Lael doesnt recover well from shoulder surgery? It's been pretty obvious the past 4 years this team goes as far as the Oline takes it.
Who would you have taken late in the 3rd over a 2nd round guard?

What happens if Xavier Woods gets hurt and your starting safeties are Heath and Iloka? We can do this for most positions.

Byron Jones might walk after 2019. Why not grab one of the good CBs that were on the board in the 3rd?

I would have gone S in the 3rd. It was reported they liked Harris from BC. When the run on safeties started late in the 2nd, I would have used one of my 4th round picks to get the S in Harris earlier in the third.

I think they are making a big mistake ignoring the S position yet again.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
What happens if Xavier Woods gets hurt and your starting safeties are Heath and Iloka? We can do this for most positions.

Byron Jones might walk after 2019. Why not grab one of the good CBs that were on the board in the 3rd?

I would have gone S in the 3rd. It was reported they liked Harris from BC. When the run on safeties started late in the 2nd, I would have used one of my 4th round picks to get the S in Harris earlier in the third.

I think they are making a big mistake ignoring the S position yet again.
So reach for a bum safety then. Our team goes as far as our OLINE, not our safety play.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry was pretty clear. All the players they liked other than Thornhill and Hill were taken off the table yesterday. So Adderley and Rapp weren’t options for them anyway.

And they took BPA in the 3rd. If you really have that big a problem with that, at least you should understand the reasoning.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Jerry was pretty clear. All the players they liked other than Thornhill and Hill were taken off the table yesterday. So Adderley and Rapp weren’t options for them anyway.

And they took BPA in the 3rd. If you really have that big a problem with that, at least you should understand the reasoning.

Precisely.

LittleD

Reaction score
+

It's weird.

How do you know that? Obviously, safety is a position they looked at but safety has never been a highly valued position in Dallas. This board has been drooling safety for months yet,
Dallas values 3T much more in the Marrinelli scheme. My guess a RB is next to spell Zeke because they value running the ball more than the safety position. Guys will be spewing
for days but, get used to safety being a low pay, low priority position in Dallas.