News: DC: Spagnola: Beating Mahomes Deal Over 5 Years

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Reid1boys

Reid1boys Well-Known Member

3,439 Messages
    3,110 Likes Received
    you cant do an extension with a player that wont sign the extension.

RoboQB and NotForLong like this.
  2. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

48,684 Messages
    52,045 Likes Received
    I meant the 4 year deal that Dak wanted.

3. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

20,627 Messages
    20,723 Likes Received
    Making him play on the tag this year and next is cheaper and better for the team

aikemirv likes this.
  4. glimmerman

glimmerman Well-Known Member

19,694 Messages
    20,348 Likes Received
    Dak is likely listening to the agent and doing what he is told. His agent maybe trying to get more than his worth, which that’s there job. But he seems to be costing him money. He had a contract Dak was going to sign and yanked it after we had 3 layup games last year. Not sure what it was but betting it was more than 31 he is making this year. And he could have made ALOT more than 2 million last year if he signed. He would be entering his second year of the deal and would be back to the table faster. He can’t make this money his agent has lost him back. And if the offer goes up it won’t be that much.!

aikemirv likes this.
  5. Brax

Brax Well-Known Member

3,413 Messages
    3,087 Likes Received
    Bingo here the Cowboys go again sad really sad.

stasheroo likes this.
  6. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

9,657 Messages
    10,022 Likes Received
    With 24 hours left until the deadline, I’d love to see Dallas add two option years to Dalton’s deal.

7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

30,074 Messages
    12,054 Likes Received
    It is both team friendly and amazing for Pat.
    They GTD him basically 400M.
    He will almost certainly be the first billionaire in the NFL.

And the article is typical Mickey shill stuff. This deal raises the bar for all QBs including Dak.

We know DAL offered Dak 5 years at 35M a year and he countered with 4 year at same rate.
    They passed so he countered again at 5 years at 37AAV but the 10M all in year 5.

Now we shall see in a few days what he actually signs and if this contract had any impact.
    Word was just prior to Pat signing Dak would back down and take the 5 year 35 AAV.
    Now we shall see who gives.

Dak was going to make more than Pat easily early in their respective deals because has already played out his rookie cheapo contract and at has not.

8. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

67,064 Messages
    78,206 Likes Received
    But meanwhile, 'Junior' gets praised as somehow being some brilliant cap manager when the opposite is true.

Must be nice to have a job for life no matter how badly you screw up, simply based on your family name. Quite a monarchy.

:facepalm:

Brax likes this.
  9. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

45,771 Messages
    68,196 Likes Received
    Because it's tough to try to use Mahomes 10 year contract to build a 4 or 5 year deal for Prescott, you should probably just look at similar time frames.

Mahomes will "potentially" pocket:

2020-2023 (4 years) - $104MM
    2020-2024 (5 years) - $141MM

But people will argue that they are using his rookie year moneys here so the better comparison would be the start of the "extension" period:

2022-2025 (4 years) - $150MM
    2022-2026 (5 years) - $192MM

So all this talk of Dak now being able to command $40MM or more a year is largely hogwash IMO. People are literally advocating for Dak to make more money over the next 4 years than Mahomes will (or compared to the 4 years of his extension period).

aikemirv likes this.
  10. daboyzruleperiod

daboyzruleperiod ♡☆ Zone Supporter

27,059 Messages
    66,867 Likes Received
  11. Mannix

Mannix Well-Known Member

1,912 Messages
    2,321 Likes Received
    Over the last twenty years I have done a total 180 on Stephen,,,,I think he really is a boob.

12. cowboyblue22

cowboyblue22 Well-Known Member

8,931 Messages
    7,637 Likes Received
    hasnt taken nearly that long for me to know him and daddy are both boobs they have made a laughing stock out of the dallas cowboys

13. ChronicCowboy

ChronicCowboy Well-Known Member

3,085 Messages
    5,718 Likes Received
    People are forgetting that Mahomes is a far better player than Dak. Dak doesn’t deserve a similar contract, over 5 or 10 years.

14. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member

6,566 Messages
    3,352 Likes Received

I read that as sarcasm, slight at the very least.

15. _sturt_

_sturt_ Well-Known Member

2,481 Messages
    2,414 Likes Received
    Maybe. Hopefully. But it's Mickey, and while I'm not a Mickey detractor/critic the way some are, I don't put anything past him.

16. jaythecowboy

jaythecowboy Well-Known Member

2,078 Messages
    1,583 Likes Received
    This isn't the case. Had Dak signed before the 2019 the deal would have been an extension and the total value would be less than what is on the table now. Last year the Cowboys were offering $90 million guaranteed
    Exactly. Even if they did the $40 million per year deal for four years, they could have moved a lot of that money to 2019 when he was only making $2 million. The five year average would only be $33 million a year. And that is worse case scenario. They could probably have gotten it done for less than that.

jazzcat22 and glimmerman like this.
  17. glimmerman

glimmerman Well-Known Member

19,694 Messages
    20,348 Likes Received
    If it was a extension (your right) then they could have countered. But we’re willing to sign until we played 3 layups...