DCFanatic Radio w/Moose Johnston and Bryan Broaddus - 11/19/09

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
DCFanatic Radio w/Moose Johnston and Bryan Broaddus

By dcfanatic, November 19, 2009 8:23 pm

We go live at 10pm eastern with Bryan Broaddus from ESPN Radio and CBS Sports to talk Commanders vs Cowboys!

Also had an chance to spend a good 20 minutes talking with Cowboys legend Daryl 'Moose' Johnston today about all things Cowboys. Good stuff about Jason Garrett in there.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/dcfanaticradio/2009/11/20/dcfanatic-radio-1

Live chat room will be open as well...

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/flashchat/chat.aspx?HostUserURL=DCFanaticRadio

Hope you guys enjoy the show!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I just got home. We need to do a show on why the Commanders suck.

Maybe after the game. :p:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dcfanatic;3088532 said:
Saturday night?
Can it be 1 hour later? I have a dinner appointment that night and want to make sure I am back in time.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3088534 said:
Can it be 1 hour later? I have a dinner appointment that night and want to make sure I am back in time.

You name the start time on Saturday night and I am there.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dcfanatic;3088539 said:
You name the start time on Saturday night and I am there.
11 Eastern. Commanders hate show. Taking calls?

:eek:hboy:

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3088572 said:
11 Eastern. Commanders hate show. Taking calls?

:eek:hboy:

Yeah. Me and you host and we have anyone who wants to call in do so and take their shots at the Skins.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dcfanatic;3088628 said:
Yeah. Me and you host and we have anyone who wants to call in do so and take their shots at the Skins.
My theme song should make a brief return.

:grin:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Hey I just got a chance to listen and wanted to say great job as usual.

I really enjoy moose. I think he should be the lead analyst at fox.

anyway, congrats on getting yet another big name to the show.

I was interested to see if moose would have brought up the Commanders game at rfk in december of 92, washington needed a win to hang in there with philly in the wild card picture and we were clearly going to win the division and they beat us. That was the game with the fumble in the endzone after a goal line stand. Very similar game to the packers game....

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Can someone please recap Moose's comments on (his friend, mind you) Jason Garrett, for those of us at work that can't get audio here? Thanks!

Gaede

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;3088960 said:
Can someone please recap Moose's comments on (his friend, mind you) Jason Garrett, for those of us at work that can't get audio here? Thanks!

Mostly, he thought that Garrett probably saw some weakness in the GB secondary and matchups he thought he could exploit...that's why he tossed it around so much. Doesn't really blame him for that.

He also says that the one thing he thinks people are justified in being upset about, is the amount of shotgun. Coming from the offense he did, and the way Troy played QB, he prefers running the ball out of a running type formation. He says you can't really run the ball effectively out of the shotgun. You can still be very aggressive running the football and it allows your offense to be physical.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Don't forget to include the completely tasteless analysis that always returns about the time that the Commanders play Dallas.

Put a resounding edge to their upcoming loss in the new Dallas Stadium...:suxskins:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Gaede;3088985 said:
Mostly, he thought that Garrett probably saw some weakness in the GB secondary and matchups he thought he could exploit...that's why he tossed it around so much. Doesn't really blame him for that.

He also says that the one thing he thinks people are justified in being upset about, is the amount of shotgun. Coming from the offense he did, and the way Troy played QB, he prefers running the ball out of a running type formation. He says you can't really run the ball effectively out of the shotgun. You can still be very aggressive running the football and it allows your offense to be physical.

The first half the mix between run and pass was about equal. The fact that there wasn't a completed third down attempt for about a half of the game was a major fact. There were three legitimate touchdown passes that were unsuccessful in addition to field position turnovers that never went to the benefit of Dallas as well. The passes to Austin early, Bennett, and then Witten all could have had different written endings easily. That would have been a 21 point sway in the Dallas totals...

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Gaede;3088985 said:
Mostly, he thought that Garrett probably saw some weakness in the GB secondary and matchups he thought he could exploit...that's why he tossed it around so much. Doesn't really blame him for that. .

Moose - and Aikman for that matter - both do a good job of NOT saying anything bad about Garrett if they don't have much good to say about him at all. As analysts, this is their flaw, but as his friends, I can understand why they do this.

Here Moose says he can understand why Garrett would test the Pack's secondary. What he won't say is that they went back to a man-up scheme on the WRs, and stacking the box with pressure. The Packers took away the quick throws and with a stacked box they ensured their defenders would get to Romo before he could get rid of hte ball. The best remedy for that is to call designed rollouts, some pitch-outs to the backs, and screen passes. Garrett did none of that, and Moose didn't do his job as an analyst to point that out.

Gaede;3088985 said:

Moose also left out hte fact that the shotgun is designed to give the QB a better chance at short to intermediate throws when the defense brings pressure. But calling the formation constantly pigeon-hole's you into being one dimensional. Moose makes it sound like Garrett did this to somehow run the ball batter (his comments imply it). But as an analyst, he knows better; he knows that the constnat shotgun formations were more about Garrett staying stubbourn, trying to force the short/intermediate passing game, when designed rollouts, some pitch-outs to the backs, and screen passes were the better counter-option. Once again, Garrett's flaw is that he can't adjudt well, and Mosee intentionally protected him with kid gloves.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Anybody notice how dc's guests keep getting better and better, and how the shows on the official website keep expanding happy talk time?

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
Moose also left out the fact that the shotgun is designed to give the QB a better chance at short to intermediate throws when the defense brings pressure. But calling the formation constantly pigeon-hole's you into being one dimensional.

It could also be said that they ran 15 consecutive snaps out of shotgun on a drive that ended with a pick.The play call at the goal line was not the problem the execution was.

Another thing to consider is that the shotgun allows your quarterback to see the field better,which helps him identify the defense.If they were having trouble with identifying where the pressure was going to come from the shotgun makes sense.I don't think the intention was to go all out shotgun,I think the game just dictated what happened and it got away from them.

Craig

QT

Reaction score
Nice job DC. I heard you call in on the Michael Irvin show several weeks ago. You should have mentioned to Kevin Kiley that you had your own broadcast show also, thus he would have given your opinion more respect.