DE Jason Hatcher forgotten man ?

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
He dominated and even emmrassed many of his opponents. At times unblockable.

Sweet

I think he only played DL one year so he has a lot of learning to do.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Charles said:
I bet Grambling State could get their Home Ed dept. to make and design better Uniforms:D
Funny you say that Charles... I grew up being a fan of Grambling. They used to wear classic uni's black and gold... The jersey was kind of like UCLA's white one only black instead of baby blue. Gold pants... it was a great uni.

During the great Eddie Robinson's last few years, they added red to the uni's and wore red pants with the yellow shirts... it was an instant headache and one of the worst violations of tb's uniform code in history.

The all yellow, believe it or not, is a MUCH better look than the red pants... I wish they would go back to the classics...

EDIT:

Found this

wcn-6610fb1-wht.jpg

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Nice find of the GSU messageboard. Lots of good stuff there. Are you a member there? If not, what do you think about joining and offering an invite to the Zone?

Clean out your PM inbox, Charles... :)
No I am not a member, but I'll join and hopefully drop a line in there so we can get more stuff on Hatcher.

I know most Cowboy fans were like Jason Who????, I've started watching the SWAC back when McNair was at Alcorn State. The conference has produced some players. Roberty Mathis (Colts), Donald Driver (Packers), Jake Reed, of course the most notable Doug Williams. There's no gurantee that JAson HAtcher will take the next step, but couple the above successful SWAC players in the NFL with our scouting department to recognize talent (ala Demarcus Ware...small school stand-out), I like Jason Hatchers chances. He was the tallest DE at the combine with a 280lb frame. He played TE and basketball in High School.

Could make our Dline rotation very interesting. At this time I think the Cowboys have the personel to play both traditional fronts 4-3 and 3-4.

trickblue

Reaction score
Charles said:
I like Jason Hatchers chances. He was the tallest DE at the combine with a 280lb frame. He played TE and basketball in High School.

and he was an all-state TE in a state that produces some pretty good football players...

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
trickblue said:
and he was an all-state TE in a state that produces some pretty good football players...
Yep. He was actually a WR, but because of his size most thought he was a TE.

Here is the best profile I've seen. His negatives appear to be fixable if he's a coachable player.http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/insider/draft/2006/biosdetail.aspx?fname=Jason&lname=Hatcher&pos=DE

OVERVIEW

Hatcher is a vastly underrated talent in the mold of New England Patriots standout Richard Seymour. Like Seymour, Hatcher might be better suited for an end position in a 3-4 scheme, or he could bulk up and shift inside to tackle in a 4-3 alignment. The two-year starter shuttled between offense and defense for several games during the 2003 season before settling in at weakside defensive tackle as a junior.

Hatcher was an All-State receiver as a senior at Jena High School. He led the team to a 10-3 record as a senior, catching 28 passes for 1,028 yards (36.7 avg) that year. His best performance came vs. Belle Chase High, when he caught six passes for 211 yards. Hatcher also lettered in basketball.

Hatcher selected Grambling State over Louisiana Tech, McNeese State and Nicholls State on graduating from high school, joining the varsity in 2003. He was used mostly at tight end early in the season before shifting to defensive end, but also saw action at both positions in several games. He finished the 2003 campaign with a 14-yard reception and 13 tackles (5 solos) with 1.5 sacks and two stops behind the line of scrimmage.

Hatcher appeared in eight games, starting three, in 2004. He produced 33 tackles (11 solos) with 4.5 sacks, 10 stops behind the line of scrimmage and two blocked kicks. The 2005 season saw Hatcher earn national honors. He was an All-America and All-Southwest Region selection, totaling a career-high 71 tackles (49 solos). He ranked seventh in the nation with 11 quarterback sacks and fourth with 21.5 stops for losses. He totaled 17 pressures with two fumble recoveries and a forced fumble. He also blocked a kick.

Hatcher appeared in 28 games, earning 17 starts for the Tigers. He recorded 117 tackles (65 solos) with 17 sacks for minus-136 yards and 33.5 stops for losses of 173 yards. He registered 24 quarterback pressures and blocked three kicks. He recovered two fumbles, caused another and deflected three passes.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a developing frame with long limbs, good strength, big bubble, wide waist and solid upper body muscle development...Can add more bulk to his frame with no drop-off in quickness...Has a quick short area burst to collapse the pocket and give chase in attempts to flush the quarterback out...Uses his hands with force to separate...Has the strength to stack and control at the line of scrimmage...Quick enough to stand up or line up in a two-point stance...Has patience while containing to shut down the reverse...When he stays low in his pads, he is very tough on tight ends and can hold his own vs. tackles in attempts to shed...Can jolt and stun ball carriers on impact as a hitter... Has an effective spin move to slip off the outside shoulder of tackles...Has very good leaping ability and times his jumps to deflect passes or block kicks at the line of scrimmage.

Negatives...Lacks loose hips, but shows good straight-line speed to close...Needs to stay lower in his pads, because when he gets high in his stance, he struggles to shed and can be neutralized by a physical double team...Shows good hand usage, but sometimes sticks to blockers too long...Has only adequate ability to diagnose the play, but is quick to attack once he locates the ball...When he comes off the ball at a high pad level, he leaves his chest too exposed to prevent the blocker from locking on...Can lose leverage because of his adequate knee bend and hip snap.

Hatcher is a tall athlete with long limbs, good bubble, adequate upper body muscle development and a frame that can carry at least another 15-20 pounds of bulk with no loss in quickness. He shows good balance and acceleration, coming off the snap with the suddenness needed to gain advantage. He is capable of standing up or playing in a two-point stance and uses his hands effectively to gain advantage coming off the snap.

Hatcher shows the speed to explode into the backfield, but appears a little stiff in his hips when trying to slide down the line. He can get by blockers quickly when he uses his hands to generate rip and swim moves, but when he gets too high in his stance, he struggles to disengage. He is effective at recognizing blocking schemes and plays as they develop, showing the patience needed while containing to shut down the reverse.

Hatcher is strong at the point of attack and can hold his own in one-on-one confrontations, but can get into trouble when he raises his pads and fails to knee bend. He has the functional strength to defeat blocks, but is not a two-gap type that can easily split double teams. He has good hand usage to separate, but will stick to blockers too long at times. He has the quick first step and strength to handle tight ends and hold his own vs. tackles. When working in-line, he demonstrates the hand jolt to discard blockers and the strength to shed, but only when he uses his hands to rip through holds.

Hatcher is best when playing off the line. He lacks loose hips and does not generate the sustained burst to be effective dropping off into the second level. He moves well through traffic, but needs to do a better job of taking angles to the ball when operating in space. He can jolt and stun a ball carrier on impact, but must improve his hip snap and roll to put more pop behind his tackles. He will generally wrap tackle, but will get a little careless with his arms and let a few runners get away.

As a pass rusher, Hatcher has a natural feel and good strength to collapse the pocket. He has the ability to dip when turning the corner, demonstrating a better spin move when coming off the edge than when working in-line. He closes flat down the line and flashes enough burst to flush out quarterbacks. He has the backside speed to run down passers and shows good urgency in his chase and attack.

Hatcher has only two good seasons of college football under his belt and will need time to develop. He is an effective edge rusher who needs to stays lower in his pads. He must improve his lateral range and while he shows good effort, he does not have the technique to consistently split double teams. In a 3-4 system, he could be an effective end, if lined up on the weak side. He might be better suited for tackle in a 4-3 alignment due to a lack of loose hips, but will have to bulk up if shifting to an interior position at the next level.

AGILITY NOTES

Campus: 4.86 in the 40-yard dash...390-pound bench press...500-pound squat(I bet Parcell likes that)...326-pound power clean...33.5-inch vertical jump...33 ½-inch arm length...10-inch hands.

Combine: 4.82-second 40-yard dash. ... 28 reps at 225 pounds. ... 35 1/2-inch vertical jump. ... 9'5" broad jump.

INJURY REPORT

2004: Missed the Bethune-Cookman, Texas Southern and Alabama State games, but the school did not provide an injury report.

CAREER NOTES

Emerged as a blue chip prospect during his senior year...His 11 quarterback sacks ranked seventh in the NCAA Division 1-AA ranks in 2005...Finished fourth in the nation with a career-high 21.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage as a senior.

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended Jena (La.) High School, playing football for head coach Mac Fowler...All-State receiver as a senior, leading the team to a 10-3 record...Caught 28 passes for 1,028 yards (36.7 avg) that year...His best performance came vs. Belle Chase High, when he caught six passes for 211 yards...Also lettered in basketball.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Charles said:
I know most Cowboy fans were like Jason Who????, I've started watching the SWAC back when McNair was at Alcorn State. The conference has produced some players. Roberty Mathis (Colts), Donald Driver (Packers), Jake Reed, of course the most notable Doug Williams.
And don't forget our own Everson Walls... ;)

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
(36.7 avg):eek:

That is impressive, but at the highschool level, with his size the defenders were probably scared to tackle him.

trickblue

Reaction score
Norm Hitges just said that Hatcher was not a reach as New Orleans and Arizona were about to take him with their next pick...

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
I posted Saturday about the comparisons to Seymour and Canty, but, knowing what a football historian Parcells is, you know who I bet Parcells thought of when he watched Hatcher on tape?

Buck Buchanan, former KC Chief great and HOFer from Grambling. Buck was 6'7" 280 lbs and was the reason Al Davis drafted Art Shell. A lot of physical similarities to Hatcher. I can't wait to see him in uniform.