Dean Pees new Atlanta DEF Co-ordinator

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
If I was the new Atlanta DEF Coordinator, I'd be pissed

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Man, he better because these players are going to be on their 3rd DC in 3 years and hopefully Quinn learned from what Nolan tried to do.

Now, how he's going to improve the tackling? That is another challenge because these players don't like to hit at practice. I wish the NFLPA had been around when I played in high school because my HC loved him some pad popping. At first, for a 150lb CB, that was not fun. Until I caught onto proper technique, the purpose of his drills.
I know you, like the rest of us weren't allowed to see much of training camp in 2020 but it was well reported that tackling wasn't even something they addressed. They were told to avoid it on purpose. It's not the player's fault, it was the coaching. This has to change in 2021.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know you, like the rest of us weren't allowed to see much of training camp in 2020 but it was well reported that tackling wasn't even something they addressed. They were told to avoid it on purpose. It's not the player's fault, it was the coaching. This has to change in 2021.

Ironic, how it carried over to game day. I must say that, even though no one had any training camp, they all know how to play the game.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Had the pleasure of sitting and talking with Coach Pees a few years back when he first retired from Baltimore.

Nice guy, generous with his time, and probably one of the smartest defensive minds I have ever got to converse with in person.

He has unretired twice since then.

His son Matt coaches too.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Ironic, how it carried over to game day. I must say that, even though no one had any training camp, they all know how to play the game.
On the contrary, all the teams had some form of a training camp. Each team just approached it in their own way. The Cowboys had the wussiest camp cupcake training camp they have ever had. This is what I'm saying must change. It's obvious other teams took training camp more seriously.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The Falcons fans on very pleased with the hire, because Pees has done it before and had success

Got some of the same questions with him as I do with Quinn. Most of his success as a defensive coordinator came under defensive head coaches (Bill Belichick, Mike Vrabel). The exception was Baltimore, but you have to wonder how big a role Harbaugh plays there because he's had several successful defensive coordinators over the year.

You have to wonder if he can do it on his own. At least with Quinn, he took his defense to Atlanta and didn't have a defensive guy above him. Now, that can be viewed in a bad light considering how the Falcons have played the last couple of years, but his first couple of years, Atlanta was pretty good on defense.