Dec. 2007 Cowboys or Dec. 2008 Cowboys - Who is better?

VCDefectors

Benched
Reaction score
While it might be tempting to pick last year's Cowboys as the better team, last night's win vs. the Giants convinced me that this year's Cowboys are more prepared to get some wins in the playoffs (oh yes, I see us running the table this year). We have a better defense and once Barber gets healthy, a better running game than last year. These are two crucial things to have in order to go on a playoff run.

And while Romo and the passing game had a statistically better season last year, if my memory serves correct, our offense started sputtering around this time last year. Give me this year's group, as they should for the better and have gone through the experience of a disappointing end.

We are ready for the playoffs folks!!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
still two mroe huge games...last nights win was great, but doesnt mean much if they lose the last two

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I'd go with 2008, because the defense is playing better and we're much more healthy now on offense.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
VCDefectors;2496061 said:
While it might be tempting to pick last year's Cowboys as the better team, last night's win vs. the Giants convinced me that this year's Cowboys are more prepared to get some wins in the playoffs (oh yes, I see us running the table this year). We have a better defense and once Barber gets healthy, a better running game than last year. These are two crucial things to have in order to go on a playoff run.

And while Romo and the passing game had a statistically better season last year, if my memory serves correct, our offense started sputtering around this time last year. Give me this year's group, as they should for the better and have gone through the experience of a disappointing end.

No contest...this year. Last year's squad was incredibly sloppy, T.O got injured and the defense was not playing very well.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doesn't matter.

Who is better Jan. 2008 or Jan. 2009?

Now that's a question.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2496076 said:
Doesn't matter.

Who is better Jan. 2008 or Jan. 2009?

Now that's a question.

Well we're going to have to win in Dec. in order to find out. ;)

gbrittain

Reaction score
Without question this team is playing better than the 2007 Cowboys. Unfortunately though the 2007 Cowboys had much better start to the season.

From the second half of the week 13 Green Bay game, Dallas never played another good game IMO.

This time last year, I was down on the Cowboys and caught flak for it. They looked like a team that had peaked to early.

This year they look like a team that is getting ready to peak. If not for a bad game by Romo (it happens) Dallas beats Pittsburgh convincingly.

If Dallas can just make the playoffs and they should because they are playing so well, I like Dallas' chances better this year than I liked their chances this time last year.

VCDefectors

Benched
Reaction score
gbrittain;2496092 said:
Without question this team is playing better than the 2007 Cowboys. Unfortunately though the 2007 Cowboys had much better start to the season.

From the second half of the week 13 Green Bay game, Dallas never played another good game IMO.

This time last year, I was down on the Cowboys and caught flak for it. They looked like a team that had peaked to early.

This year they look like a team that is getting ready to peak. If not for a bad game by Romo (it happens) Dallas beats Pittsburgh convincingly.

If Dallas can just make the playoffs and they should because they are playing so well, I like Dallas' chances better this year than I liked their chances this time last year.

Yeah, this year's Cowboys look like they have more grit to their playing. They are more mentally tough, especially on defense. I also like the fact that this year's team has had to battle through injuries and forced to do with less. Last year's team seemed to be unprepared when TO, Gurode, Anderson went down.

Temo

Reaction score
VCDefectors;2496061 said:

2007: 64.4% completion, 8.1 Yds/Attempt, 6.9% TD rate, 3.7% INT rate, 4.6% sack rate, 97.4% passer rating

2008: 63.1% completion, 8.2 Yds/Attempt, 6.6% TD rate, 3.0% INT rate, 4.1% sack rate, 98.3% passer rating.

So in 2008, playing behind an injured offensive line, he's completed a bit fewer passes, and thrown a bit fewer TDs. However, he's improved his INT rate, sack rate, Yards per attempt, and overall passer rating. And he's been injured more this year than last.

I'd say overall he's been playing better this year than last. The difference, i think, is the lows aren't as low (2nd Philly game, Buffalo game, and Commander game last year just off the top of my head) and his highs aren't quite as high.

Ren

Reaction score
To early to tell we do have a pretty solid defense this time around so things might turn out different this time

VCDefectors

Benched
Reaction score
Temo;2496171 said:
2007: 64.4% completion, 8.1 Yds/Attempt, 6.9% TD rate, 3.7% INT rate, 4.6% sack rate, 97.4% passer rating

2008: 63.1% completion, 8.2 Yds/Attempt, 6.6% TD rate, 3.0% INT rate, 4.1% sack rate, 98.3% passer rating.

So in 2008, playing behind an injured offensive line, he's completed a bit fewer passes, and thrown a bit fewer TDs. However, he's improved his INT rate, sack rate, Yards per attempt, and overall passer rating. And he's been injured more this year than last.

I'd say overall he's been playing better this year than last. The difference, i think, is the lows aren't as low (2nd Philly game, Buffalo game, and Commander game last year just off the top of my head) and his highs aren't quite as high.

Good stuff!

I, too, would pick this year's Romo. He is more battle-tested this year, IMO.