Video: December 16, 1979, Cowboys vs Commanders

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I remember this game like it was yesterday. I was 14. Weeks later I cried when we lost to the Rams in what would be Roger's last game.
You're 51-52? Brother, I thought you were 33-34, somewhere in there.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing :D

Edit: same with you @Jake :) lol

DAL1180

Reaction score
why was drew sitting out that last series?

classic 70s cowboys. Preston was basically another RCVR, and the fade to tony hill for winning td. Skins almost had a chance to win it. Need 1-2 more seconds on the clock.
Injured his knee week before celebrating TD vs. Philly.

canters

Reaction score
I remember this game like it was yesterday. I was 14. Weeks later I cried when we lost to the Rams in what would be Roger's last game.
Mike Hegeman tipped that pass right to Billy Waddy. Vince Ferragomo threw the ball behind Waddy and
Hegemam laid out to intercept it, but instead tipped it forward and right to Waddy.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If you have never seen this game take the time to watch. It was Staubach's last regular season game. 3 way tie for first place with Commanders and eagles, the loser of the game was out.

I remember this, I was a teenager and this game was better than the Playboy I had hidden between my mattresses!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You're 51-52? Brother, I thought you were 33-34, somewhere in there.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing :D

Edit: same with you @Jake :) lol

No way a guy named "Staubacher" would be in his 30s - kids that age missed seeing the best QB in Cowboys history.

As for me, I wasn't a "Curmudgeon" in my 30s. That's an acquired skill. :muttley:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Cebrin

Reaction score
If you have never seen this game take the time to watch. It was Staubach's last regular season game. 3 way tie for first place with Commanders and eagles, the loser of the game was out.

I was 9 1/2 months old. Probably just started walking, and getting in to everything. I guarantee you my Mom & Grandmother watched it.

Thomas82

Reaction score
This game happened 10 days before I was born. I always remember my dad saying when I was growing up I was supposed to be born on the 16th and he was afraid he would miss the cowboys-Commanders game. I didn't arrive until Christmas evening.

We were born 20 days apart.

jgboys1

Reaction score
I remember watching this game live and thinking once Staubach threw that TD pass, we won. Today I would say we would lose, because their is no way our D can stop a team from kicking a FG with more than 40 seconds left. It seems like our defense has been that bad for the past 20 years.

Sportsdude360

Reaction score
I was in high school when this game was played. I was hoping we would return to the SB and take revenge on the hated Steelers. But alas that wasn't to be. It's fascinating to hear Pat Summerall with his previous partner Tom Brookshire. They were the broadcast team that called SB 10 when the Cowboys defeated the Broncos. Pat Summerall wouldn't be paired with John Madden until the 1981 season and, of course, Madden/Summerall became a broadcast legend.