Deer Eating My Hedges!

Creeper

Reaction score
I have lived in the same house in NJ since the 1980s. Years ago I had hedges of Arborvitae bushes planted around the perimeter of my yard for privacy and to deaden road noises. The bushes were 3 ft when first planted them and now they are 12 ft or higher and until this year were full and lush. We have always had a few deer in the yard but until this year they have never eaten the Arborvitae. They are eating away the bottom 4 ft. of the bushes which are now thin, sparse and see through!

The type of Arborvitae I planted are supposed to be deer resistant. And they left them alone for years. I am concerned they will eat away to the growth point and the hedges will be ruined. The population of deer here has been increasing and I suspect they are running out of food so now they are eating things they never touched before. Even lawn grass.

I have tried spraying various deer repellants. Some work for a day or two. Some for a week. Some not at all. The one that works best smells like death. I have to wear a mask to apply it is smells so bad.

I am looking for something that works. I read using a single stand of fishing line strung on posts about a foot in front of the plants will keep the deer away. Not crazy about having posts sticking out of my lawn every 6ft, but if it works to save my shrubs until they can grow back will will try anything at this point.

No, I cannot shoot them, although I have a water gun I use for when I see them in the yard. Anyone have any serious idea on how to keep them from eating the last remnants of my hedges?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hang a very fragrant bar of soap every ten feet or so. Coffee grounds work too for awhile until they get used to it.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Good luck. As one who has fought this battle for decades, as well as worked for a company that offered "solutions" for decades I can tell you that the fishing line and all the magic potions won't work, at least for very long.

The electric fence I put around the wife's garden works pretty well. The dogs will run them off but only if they are outside, obviously.

In this neck of the woods, if you called the Game Warden he/she would come take a look, give you a handful of rubber slugged shotgun shells and tell you "When these don't work you can go ahead and kill up to four of them."

I have seen the deer completely obliterate the foliage from hemlocks and cedars during a particularly bad winter only to see the trees come back stronger then ever.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wonder if the stuff you spray on shoes and such, to keep dogs from chewing them would work.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the deer eat your hedges
You start eating the deer.

You provide yourself some food and you hope they learn.

Creeper

Reaction score
Hang a very fragrant bar of soap every ten feet or so. Coffee grounds work too for awhile until they get used to it.
Tried this. Irish spring. I drilled holes in the bars of soap and used twine to hang them from the bushes. I through the shavings into the bushes as well. Worked for a few days . Tried dryer sheets too. I will try the coffee grounds next thanks.

Creeper

Reaction score
Good luck. As one who has fought this battle for decades, as well as worked for a company that offered "solutions" for decades I can tell you that the fishing line and all the magic potions won't work, at least for very long.

The electric fence I put around the wife's garden works pretty well. The dogs will run them off but only if they are outside, obviously.

In this neck of the woods, if you called the Game Warden he/she would come take a look, give you a handful of rubber slugged shotgun shells and tell you "When these don't work you can go ahead and kill up to four of them."

I have seen the deer completely obliterate the foliage from hemlocks and cedars during a particularly bad winter only to see the trees come back stronger then ever.
I live in a pretty populated suburban community. Guns and arrows are not going to work out well for me. I have heard nothing really works but I was hoping someone had a miracle cure.

I once planted hot jalapeno peppers in my garden figuring they would leave them alone. Nope. They let them grow to the point they were producing pepper then ate them down to the stems!

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Go to your local barbershop and ask for hair clippings, put them in a sock or old panty hose. Then get some moth balls, to spread around.

problem solved! motion lights work for WHILE BUT, THEY GET USE TO THOSE. :laugh:

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Go to your local barbershop and ask for hair clippings, put them in a sock or old panty hose. Then get some moth balls, to spread around.

problem solved! motion lights work for WHILE BUT, THEY GET USE TO THOSE. :laugh:

SlammedZero

Reaction score
On one hand, that's awesome. Always cool to have wildlife around. On the other hand, I get the frustration trying to keep your landscaping intact. I do wonder if a dog would help. Plus, you gain a best friend at the same time.

nobody

Reaction score
Ultrasonic Deer repellent device (Sold a lot of places, including Amazon) OR a motion activated sprinkler.

Flamma

Reaction score
My daughter left her dog here for the weekend. I know he will chase them away!
I was going to suggest that. Have the lead go as far as the hedges. But they'll probably eat the hedges when the dog isn't there. I live in NJ too, I have 6' aluminum fence, then hedges inside the fence on two sides.